Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    There is nothing I said that isn't historically accurate. There is nothing you said that doesn't apply to every other softball program in the country that has significantly more success in the portal.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    This old bunch of geezers may just be more dramatic than the teenage girls they mold their lives around.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Statements using water torture references and your “dangerous at best” comment is a way over the top!
    Edit: should have been dangerous at “worst”…. My bad ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Uh, I never said anything about water torture. And I fail to see how the other comment is so out of line when coupled with a typical cliché beginning with "frustrating at best". And it was "dangerous at worst".

5. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Different states have had different NIL situations and not everyone's academic standards are the same. Also not for 3 years have we "desperately needed" a pitcher from the portal. This past year? Sure, but at the same time we didn't forsee lexie being injured and basically not able to progress over the off-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    And Arkansas picks up another pitcher: Former Southern Miss P Morgan Leinstock is transferring to Arkansas. A grad transfer, Leinstock posted a 2.65 ERA, 37 wins, and 443 strikeouts in three years at Southern Miss. She spent the shortened 2020 season at Arizona State.

7. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Good for them.

8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Two years ago there was a fair amount of angst that all we got was Messimore (sp?) a low-level transfer from FGCU and even more angst last year with Bender who couldn't crack even minimal innings at Tennessee. Now we are into year three. UF's academics and Florida's NIL structure don't seem to be hindering the football or basketball program and I'm fairly confident that the vast majority of potential softball transfers are a lot more solid academically than the majority of football and basketball transfers. And, FSU and UCF softball seem to do quite well in the transfer portal.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You said you agreed with the posts previous to yours did you not? Dangerous? I must assume you have never encountered dangerous especially while using it concerning college recruiting.

10. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    It has to be concerning to some of you we are 30 days into the opening day of the transfer portal and no new players that we know of as of yet. It is also alarming that we already know the destinations of other portal players that have already announced but none yet have been Florida announcements. It's not like we are looking for one or two players, we need probably five of which two have to be pitchers. Time to get this show on the road.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  11. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    What top transfers has FSU brought in? Unless im forgetting somebody I would say very comparable to what we've beought in. Meesimore came for school. It was a well known thing. There really wasn't a need for anybody that year anyway. Not to mention I'm not scared to rely on 2 freshmen pitchers that are as highly talented as these 2. Canady just took Stanford to the wcws with no offense. Meylan got Washington there with a offense similar to ours or worse. We will be just fine. I would be very confident a pitcher with some experience will be added as a transfer unless for some reason delbrey or trilicek have a change of heart.

12. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I want to apologize for my Chinese water torture comment. I was over exaggerating in a sarcastic way. I didn't realize it would be taken so literal. Glad I didn't say bamboo under the finger nails or water boarding. That could have caused a conniption. I apologize again for my sarcasm; but would still love to see some sort of movement from Coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    FSU, a rock solid team, a top 5 and legit national championship contender with already an extremely deep pitching staff including one of the best pitchers in the country took in Katie Dack from A&M who hit .305 with 11 home runs and 37 rbis. They added Allison Royalty to that staff who didn't need anyone and she had an era of 2.37 and threw 69 innings. UCF took in Jasmine Williams (formerly Jasmine Sievers) from Oregon to be their everyday starting shortstop and Sarah Willis from Washington to be their #1 ace in the circle. Canady had another ace on the staff and, as good as Keagan and Ava are, to match what Canady did is a lot to ask. Meylan had a couple other established pitchers on staff. Neither Canady nor Meylan are portal transfers. Edit: FSU also added Ali Dubois to their staff from Boston who had an era of 2.70 and threw 49 innings and was used extensively in the tournament. Those two transfers alone, on a staff with Sandercock, threw 120 innings with a sub 2.50 era.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The only transfer to FSU I see is:
    Katie Dack
    Rising Junior
    40 RBI
    13 HR
    These are 2022 numbers.

15. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    And Royalty. But my point exactly. The biggest impact was Mack Leonard in the last 2 years. Dack was about like Egan was for us. The UCf transfers too. None of those are them doing that much better in the portal than us. And when the Noles needed pitching in the post season it came down to Sandercock, Leonard, or Reid. Not Royalty or Dubois. They were depth, not extremely high impact transfers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Think you mean sub 2.5 era. I don't know how much you watched but the only reason UW made it was because of Meylan. She carried that team in terms of pitching. Stanford yes had Vawter but Candady is the reason they were where they were. I stared that those were freshman pitchers who carried their teams, am very aware they were top freshman recruits not transfers. I'm saying Ava and Keagen can do the same with our offense behind them. Yea Willis did great for UCF, not playing in power 5 like she did at UW.

17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Reread my post. Dack, Royalty, DuBois.

18. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Meylan was their best pitcher but Lynch, Lopez and Nelson threw 202 innings for Washington. Meylan had a lot of help. With the shape of our staff going into the season, and even Walton admitted it was a serious concern, any of Royalty, DuBois or Willis would have been a significant help. Not to mention others that were available elsewhere in the country.

19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    But only Dack this year, I think.
    Royalty visited us last summer and had an FSU visit planned.
    CTW was going to Columbus for Team USA and gave her a ride to Tally.
    Must not have been interested. He should have been able to convince her in 2 hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Meesimore and Bender both came to UF for grad school academics. Neither was a typical portal transfer. Which is exactly my point. We have done nothing that needed to be done. Both were on campus for other reasons and it was "let's give them a uniform we have nothing to lose."

• Agree Agree x 3