Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022

2. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    And….what will it take to get in a world class female pitching coach to help the wonderful freshmen coming in?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    I'm probably reading too much into it, but grace has retweeted a few Arkansas posts. So maybe she will end up there.

4. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here’s hoping the Gators have a prayer with Grace.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Sierra Sacco is transferring to Mississippi State. The former Louisiana Tech OF owns a career .392 batting average and a .955 career OPS. She was named the Conference USA Freshman of the Year in 2022 and has two years of eligibility remaining.

I'm hoping to hear some good news from Coach Walton ANY DAY NOW!

6. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    I looked up when our last 5 transfers were announced. Mid July seems to be the time we hear payers coming in. Exception was pal ( June) and Skylar in November.

7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    The problem this year is that CTW is going to be out of the country in July with the US National Team. With the crucial needs we have, especially for pitchers, he needs to be making something happen this month.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. gator_in_georgia

gator_in_georgia GC Hall of Fame

Jun 4, 2007
    I know this is for Team USA, but how does it benefit UF? Especially with positions of need and the transfer portal heating up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    It helps in numerous ways. Walton maintaining good standing at USA Softball provides several advantages. It keeps him with a high national profile. It allows him to work closely with elite level players and maintain necessary contacts. It is especially helpful when he coaches the USA National Junior team because he has the opportunity to place a couple of his incoming kids on the team and work directly with them for a couple months before they actually hit campus...as he did with Julia, Rylee, Charla and Skylar. It is likely the relationship he established with Skylar, while she was still at Bama, contributed to her decision to transfer to UF even though she had to sit out a year. Heather Tarr coached Baylee Klingler on the Junior team and when Baylee left A&M she headed straight to Washington with a relationship she had already established. There is no reason why he can't be making the necessary moves....getting rid of Bosch and announcing a new pitching coach....and hitting the portal hard now. Kayla Beaver was available and we already didn't get her. Coaching USA had nothing to do with that. He can also maintain and/or establish contact with portal players who express an interest in UF and set up visits after he returns. It isn't horrible to ask them to wait "because I'm coaching the best players in the world". The portal closes at the end of June, I think. The issue of his coaching USA is a non-issue in my opinion.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Kelly Lynch from Washington is in the portal for her graduate year. She can pitch but she frequently was up and down, primarily with control problems that kept popping up. I believe Tarr eventually during the past season stopped using her as a pitcher but kept her in the lineup for her hitting while playing first base. She would still be a good pick up for us and would provide some depth both hitting and pitching. She does have four years of pitching experience and is not remotely close to anything like the last two pitching transfers.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Jada Cecil from UC San Diego entered the portal
    Big west pitcher of the year in 2022 and top 10 finalist for freshman of the year
    career numbers: 1.92 ERA, 31 wins, 405 Strikeouts, and .189 Opponents batting average.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Senior

Jan 19, 2012
    I might be wrong but I believe we were the runner ups for her commitment and referencing to your previous post, I think Walton coached her in the Junior Team a few years ago as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep. Same team with Skylar. Being familiar with Skylar can't hurt our chances. She is also from Georgia. I don't know how close we were to getting her out of high school.

14. VegasGator91

VegasGator91 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    It was down to Washington, Florida, FSU, and Auburn.

15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    UCLA freshman, Kennedy Powell, a surprise in the portal. There's some indirect UF connection here. She played for Hotshots-Nelson. Ava plays on the Hotshots and Mia, Cassidy and Ariel all moved over to play with the Hotshots this summer. Plus, her favorite player is Kelsey Stewart. Could be a possibility. Kennedy Powell in transfer portal; 5 possible destinations

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    UC San Diego P Jada Cecil has entered the transfer portal. The 2022 Big West Pitcher of the Year and a top-10 finalist for National Freshman of the Year in '22, Cecil owns a career 1.92 ERA w/ 31 wins, 405 strikeouts, and a .189 opponent's batting average.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Yep - The transfer portal opened May 15 and closes June 28.
    (There are exceptions for athletes who will be graduating from their current university and for those who have not had an athletic scholarship at their current university.)

18. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If we can't get a Beaver let's get a Jada!!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Mike Bosch is gone!!!!! So happy!! Now Tim needs to get his ego in check and pull his head out of his rear and hire somebody that actually knows how to coach pitching and can progress these two ACES coming in next year. I wish Lexie would change her mind and come back. She's the real deal with the right coaching. Tim really screwed the pooch there. Gators need some arms big time. Keagan and Ava can't do it all by themselves. And finally, so happy Mike Bosch is g-o-n-e, I know it's wishful thinking but I (know it won't happen) would really like to see Aric "standing around doing nothing" Thomas go too. But. college buddies get a longer leash. (New guy here. Use to read these anonymously but the Mike Bosch news was too good not to post) Peace!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Jadelyn Allchin from Washington and Lair Beautae from Tennessee are in the portal. Not sure we really would be interested in either but both have good points.