Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Disney transformed Central Florida, and, to some extent, the entire state. Now DeSantis has decided to punish Disney for supporting its employees. DeSantis, IMO, is a sick human being and the worst governor of Florida in the modern era. Wake up Floridians, this guy is destroying our state.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Another power grab. Will be interesting to see how Disney responds.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    They won't. This is likely the result of closed door discussions with Disney

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    BTW, the college that DeRacist is targeting helped to deradicalize the son of a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan:
    How A Rising Star Of White Nationalism Broke Free From The Movement
    As the son of a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, Derek Black was once the heir apparent of the white nationalist movement. Growing up, he made speeches, hosted a radio show and started the website KidsStormfront — which acted as a companion to Stormfront, the white nationalist website his father, Don Black, created.

"The fundamental belief that drove my dad, drove my parents and my family, over decades, was that race was the defining feature of humanity ... and that people were only happy if they could live in a society that was only this one biologically defined racial group," Black says.

It was only after he began attending New College of Florida that Black began to question his own point of view. Previously, he had been home-schooled, but suddenly he was was exposed to people who didn't share his views, including a few Jewish students who became friends.

Black's new friends invited him over for Shabbat dinner week after week. Gradually, he began to rethink his views. After much soul-searching, a 22-year-old Black wrote an article, published by the Southern Poverty Law Center in 2013, renouncing white nationalism.
    --------------------------------------
    We wouldn't want to have institutions of higher education deradicalizing white nationalists. That's Ron's base!

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009

I’m just going to leave this here.

6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Don't know why.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I find it interesting that at least for that narrow concept, white nationalists and some on the far left agree, that race is THE defining concept in society.

Not to distract from the story you posted. It’s encouraging to see when people can have a true change of heart. The chances of that happening around college age are far higher than approaching mid adulthood when views and beliefs tend to become entrenched.

8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's not what he said. He said that white nationalists see biological race as the defining feature of HUMANITY. The people on the left you're referencing reject race as biological. They discuss it in sociological terms and see it as having a significant impact on our society because our society ascribes meaning to it.

You're trying to equate diametrically opposed schools of thought out of what I can only guess is a misguided attempt to vilify people on the left you think focus "too much" on race. It's like trying to equate the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the Ku Klux Klan in the 1960s because both were causing "racial tension."

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Sure it is somewhat apples and oranges, but there has been a notable change from having colorblindness as a goal to the opposite, of insisting on focusing on race and implicitly rejecting the notion it being irrelevant.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Race isn't irrelevant, though. Trying to mandate colorblindness and compel people to treat race as "irrelevant" in a society where biases make race very relevant only serves to maintain injustices. I'll quote Thurgood Marshall here:
    "Obviously, I too believe in a colorblind society; but it has been and remains an aspiration. It is a goal toward which our society has progressed uncertainly, bearing as it does the enormous burden of incalculable injuries inflicted by race prejudice and other bigotry, which the law once sanctioned, and even encouraged. Not having attained our goal, we must face the simple fact that there are groups in every community, which are daily paying the cost of the history of American injustice. The argument against affirmative action is but an argument in favor of leaving that cost to lie where it falls. Our fundamental sense of fairness, particularly as it is embodied in the guarantee of equal protection under the law, requires us to make an effort to see that those costs are shared equitably while we continue to work for the eradication of the consequences of discrimination. Otherwise, we must admit to ourselves that so long as the lingering effects of inequality are with us, the burden will be borne by those who are least able to pay."

You're trying to equate people fighting to end racial bias with people fighting for a racial caste system. It's beyond a stretch. You may disagree with the tactics of people fighting to end racial bias, but trying to make the comparison you are just undermines whatever your actual argument is.

And I am confident that if you asked the people on the left if their goal is a society where nobody is treated better or worse because of skin color, they'd agree that's the goal. The question is how we get there. And many people, including myself, don't believe we can get there by ignoring race.

11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Do you think it would be a similar answer if asked if their goal is a society where everybody is treated similarly?

12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't know. People may bristle at the term "similarly." If you used equally regardless of skin color, I would say yes.

13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I wish I could see the the comments you are responding to from lawyer. They blocked me so I can’t see what they post. Really is a negative to a politician forum. But when you can’t debate the other side. You run away and hide.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Feel really bad for all the students and staff. What are their options? Sit in? DeS is going full whack with trying to turn liberal arts school into state sanctioned Christian college

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Wait til he appoints Diamond and Silk to the UF Board.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Whatever’s redder than Ferrari Red, that’s Florida.

17. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's not really a debate. They post some crazy non-sensical stuff and try and support it with, hey this guy with a lofty title feels the same way, as if it isn't totally crazy. And most of their creative energy is trying to head off any serious debate by accusing the right of doing something which they themselves are doing so the right has to play defense all the time, and by the time they clear themselves the left is off to its next ridiculous escapade. In 20 years when all these kids are grown up and complaining, the left will start cutting them checks to them from public money and find ways to blame it on the right. Rinse, repeat.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. bigDgator

Apr 3, 2007
    "And I am confident that if you asked the people on the left if their goal is a society where nobody is treated better or worse because of skin color, they'd agree that's the goal. The question is how we get there. And many people, including myself, don't believe we can get there by ignoring race."

So if you ignore race (really ignore race) it is actually impossible to treat people differently because of race.
    Please tell me how I am wrong. I can't wait to hear this one.

20. bigDgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey Bling you need to update you gifs. That one is old and tired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.