Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey, Governor DeathSantis . . . .

Two Years of U.S. COVID-19 Vaccines Have Prevented Millions of Hospitalizations and Deaths

TOPLINES
    • A new analysis finds that in the two years since the first U.S. patient received a COVID-19 vaccine, the country’s vaccination program has prevented more than 18 million hospitalizations and more than 3 million deaths
    • The U.S. COVID vaccination program has saved the U.S. more than $1 trillion in medical costs, and has preserved hospital resources, kept children in school, and allowed for reopening of businesses and other activities

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey Governor DeathSantis, are you trying to get MORE Republicans killed?

Screenshot_20221005-193848_Chrome.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey Governor DeathSantis, are you trying to get MORE Floridians killed?

Screenshot_20221019-081610_Chrome.jpg

4. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    FB_IMG_1630177763937.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Don’t worry, he’s “following the science” put in place by his awesome surgeon general. Remember, Florida is the gold standard for how to handle Covid. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
  7. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    The "Constitutional Carry" issue could be its own thread but thought I'd just put it here. I haven't looked at any polling, but most pro gun folks I have talked to do not seem to support this and believe requiring a permit is fair and makes sense. But from what I can tell, this is a national movement and quite a few states have gone to this in recent years. Will be interesting to see if and to what extent violent crime and gun crime rates in those states might be affected. With all of this freedom, can Florida just go ahead and get rid of the requirement to pay a doctor to get marijuana?

DeSantis says he wants new abortion restrictions and gun rights

DeSantis dodges 'heart beat' abortion bill question, says he's 'ready' for gun bill

Asked about a pair of hot topics during a press conference Thursday, Gov. Ron DeSantis dodged a question about whether he supports a "heart beat" abortion bill but said he's "ready" for constitutional carry legislation expanding gun rights.

The governor signed legislation this year outlawing abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy, but anti-abortion activists want him to go further, with many pushing for a "heart beat" bill that would ban abortions after roughly six weeks of pregnancy, when a fetal heart beat can be detected.

In response to a question about whether he is willing to "take the lead" on a heart beat bill, DeSantis said Thursday that “I’m willing to sign great life legislation” but did not commit to the heart beat measure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Can't imagine being a teacher in Fla these days between students, parents, low pay and the posturing pols.

A friend's daughter is in her third year, still good, but a lot more BS than she expected and she's not even in a maga area like SW Fla. Still lives at home so $$ is manageable.
    Have a family member that thought of being a HS math teacher awhile back and I somewhat sadly advised him against it. He's glad he took the advice.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The more I think about it, DeSantis's new vaccine gestapo is the worst thing he's done so far. The covid vaccines have saved the lives of thousands of Floridians. Now DeSantis wants to criminalize them for nothing more than his own political ambitions. I used to think he was bad, but at least preferable to Trump. I no longer think that. He's a danger to our country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    A family member of mine is one of the most extreme pro-gun people out there, and he adamantly opposes permitless concealed carry.

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Far be it from me to question the guy's political acumen, he just got reelected in a landslide.

But I would not think that attacking vaccines would be smart politically. Arguably his greatest public policy success was his early resistance to what he called lockdowns. He never talked about the issue honestly, and I'm not necessarily sure he has been vindicated, but he at least had a decent argument there. I would think that hammering on a record of keeping schools and businesses open would be a winning political argument, even if somewhat disingenuous.

Back then he was not anti-vax. He would indicate that he himself had gotten vaccinated, and not hesitate to say it. He pushed out vaccines to the elderly. Again, I'm not saying any of this is beyond criticism, just saying there's a reasonable argument that those were good moves.

Then he starts calling it the "jab". Then he appoints Ladopo and hiring Jai B (can't spell his last name and not looking it up), to inject some quackery into the state public health debate.

And now he's bordering on conspiracy theory QAnon adjacent stuff. I have to think he's not going to push this far, but what do I know. The Republican base is deeply deeply stupid about vaccines. It used to just be about mandates, and they're not even very smart in opposing those. But now DeSantis is sounding anti-vax.

Given how smart he usually is politically, I have to conclude that the Republican base is even stupider than I thought they were about vaccines. And that's saying a lot. Either that or he's finally screwed up

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    While I didn't agree, I thought DeSantis' opposition to "mandates" wouldn't have been that bad if he had acknowledged the benefits of masks and vaccines. At least recommend that people wear masks and get vaccinated.

But nooooooo . . . . . . .

He had to brow beat everyone about masks and bully high school kids who chose to wear masks, which should be their choice, based on his own rhetoric. He effectively took the position that it is YOUR choice, as long as it conforms to HIS partisan political position. Then, he started ridiculing the "jab".

This was a great disservice to the people of Florida, and Republicans in particular, who suffered through higher death rates due to Covid. He placed partisan political posturing over the health of his constituents.

Screenshot_20221019-081610_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221005-193848_Chrome.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 4
  14. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not convinced he is that smart politically. Sure he won in a landslide but Florida is now a deep red state that’s basically been abandoned by the Democrats. They could run an aborted fetus for governor and it would win.

In reality DeSantis is just a cheap imitation of Trump in that he copies his hand gestures, attacks those least able to defend themselves like teachers, cozies up to conspiracy theories, and never makes a public appearance anywhere except with his supporters. A smart politician knows how to form public opinion, but he just follows it as part of the mob.

As far as the his Republican base goes it’s become obvious they’re racist, anti-Christian, isolationists that are afraid of their own shadow. Shadows aren’t white you know.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    How is this not criminal? Who should prosecute this?

DeSantis aide — using alias ‘Clarice Starling’ — helped ex-client bid on migrant flights

The email account was a private Gmail address that displayed Keefe’s name as “Clarice Starling,” the FBI trainee and heroine from the serial killer thriller The Silence of the Lambs. The Gmail address also included the phrase “Heat 19,” which Keefe said was a call sign given to him during his time in private practice by a former U.S. Air Force Special Operations commander.

Four days after that initial message, Keefe sent Montgomerie eight paragraphs of language that the Vertol CEO would include almost verbatim in his official proposal for the migrant flight program. The Florida Department of Transportation approved Vertol’s proposal soon after and the first flights happened a little more than a week later.

Keefe and Montgomerie exchanged dozens of emails and text messages — some on the encrypted messaging app Signal — in the run-up to the contract being approved.

DeSantis’ office did not answer questions about why Keefe was using a private email address. Keefe and Montgomerie did not immediately respond to requests for commentocid=hplocalnews

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's not criminal because rich, politically connected people are doing it. Meanwhile, if some desperate guy steals a loaf of bread for his struggling family, we will throw him into jail.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Who should prosecute this?

18. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    DeSantis investigating a drag show. I'm curious what is going to come out of this. This article references "t-ts in a box" and "lewd dances." Is that possibly criminal even if true? If the show was basically R rated, I doubt that would meet any criminal test under the statute I saw at least, particularly if a parent took a minor. Perhaps this is more of an effort to create a chilling effect by threatening the liquor licenses of these places.

Florida Gov. DeSantis' office to investigate drag show event for exposing children to inappropriate content

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' administration announced Tuesday that it is investigating a Christmas drag show event that allegedly exposed children to "sexualized acts."

The event, which was held at the Broward Center of the Performing Arts in Fort Lauderdale, was part of a national tour for "A Drag Queen Christmas."

""The Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) is aware of multiple complaints about a sexually explicit performance marketed to children held in Fort Lauderdale on December 26th. The Department is actively investigating this matter, including video footage and photographs from the event. DPBR will, like in other cases, take action," the statement read. "Exposing children to sexually explicit activity is a crime in Florida, and such action violates the Department’s licensing standards for operating a business and holding a liquor license."

The statement said any evidence gathered would be shared with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for potential criminal liability.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Just more political pandering to rile up the rubes, nothing new here. When he actually comes out with legislation of meaning, it will be the first time. Great governor my ass.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No idea. This isn't my area of expertise. I don't know what laws would be on point here (if any).

More culture war bull from the clown in chief of Florida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.