Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    don't recall this, gave work to the firm opposing you and then threatenmed to withdraw work if other lawsuit wasn't dropped.

Herald: DeSantis lawyer pressured law firm not to file suit (gainesville.com)

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' general counsel pressured a law firm representing the Miami Herald to stop the filing of a public records lawsuit seeking information from state officials about which elderly-care facilities in Florida had coronavirus cases, the newspaper reported Sunday.

The backdoor pressure worked as the Holland & Knight law firm told its senior partner representing the newspaper to abandon the lawsuit, which the Herald is now pursuing using another law firm, the newspaper said.

Holland & Knight regularly does work for the state.

“We are disappointed that the governor’s office would go so far as to apply pressure on our legal counsel to prevent the release of public records that are critical to the health and safety of Florida’s most vulnerable citizens,” said Miami Herald publisher and executive editor Aminda Marqués González. “We shouldn’t have had to resort to legal action in the first place. Anyone with a relative in an elder care facility has a right to know if their loved ones are at risk so they can make an informed decision about their care.”

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Great points. And I often see people proudly personalizing good aspects of our history while generalizing bad ones. "My 8X great grandpappy fought in the Revolution" versus "Why should I feel bad about slavery? I have never owned any slaves."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's the DeSantis way. Use the power of the state to reward your friends and punish your enemies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Agreed, and do it openly. Is this how his supporters want the gubmnt to function?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ruh roh raggy. Judge requires admin to provide records on immigrant flight..so much was done wrong. Is there a legal remedy to right all the rules broken? I cann se DeSantis fundraising to pay the bill and raising it.

Judge rules DeSantis administration must turn over records relating to migrant flights | CNN

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration did not comply with state public records laws and must turn over records relating to flights taking migrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard, a judge ruled Tuesday.

6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    To be clear, Nick Meros is DeSantis's deputy general counsel because his father is connected with the Republican Party of Florida and DeSantis. It's not the other way around (Nick Meros steering work to George Meros).

But yes, it's good to be a pal of DeSantis. He champions unconstitutional law to throw red meat to his freedom-hating base and then rewards his lawyer friends with millions in taxpayer dollars to bill futile hours defending these laws before judges who are having none of it.

Interesting bit of trivia, George Meros's father, also George Meros, was a lawyer who was disbarred and imprisoned for drug trafficking and money laundering.
    Once-top lawyer home from prison

Yes, this is exactly how they want government to function.

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Voters now must attest that they have confirmed their eligibility, although the state still cannot tell them what they need to do. Kafkaesque white supremacy

The form offers no guidance for how someone should verify their eligibility, beyond consulting an attorney. (The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition has attorneys who will offer legal guidance for free and the Florida Justice Center does the same for indigent clients.)

“If someone tells you that you are eligible to vote, you must rely upon your own independent knowledge (as informed by your attorney if applicable) of your individual circumstances, and not upon the advice of any third parties who may be incorrect or unqualified to interpret your eligibility,” the form states.

It does not say to consult with county elections supervisors about eligibility. It also doesn’t tell people that they can seek an advisory opinion on their voting status from the secretary of state.

The secretary of state still can’t quickly tell whether someone is eligible to vote. The Floridians arrested by DeSantis in August remained on the rolls for years.

Felons to sign voting forms
    Felons to sign voting forms - Tampa Bay Times

For more great content like this subscribe to the Tampa Bay Times app here:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow. Memories of DeSantis as a creepy teacher in his early trying to describe slavery as just a competing economic system with neutral moral judgment in teaching the Civil War. Students created a video mocking his ridiculousness

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    A crooked lawyer, who'd a thunk?

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm not sure why they would think that's an actual solution.
    Prosecutor: "You signed this form saying you are eligible, correct?"
    Defendant: "Yes, I believed I was. And I thought if I wasn't, the government would let me know."

I'm not sure how they believe it's going to make it easier to prove these cases when, as you pointed out, the nimrods themselves don't seem to be able to figure it out.

11. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I read that. DeSantis teaching that slavery was not the cause Civil War is just typical right-wing revisionism. I wonder (not) if he taught that the words 'slavery/slave' appear 17 times in the 10 paragraphs of the South Carolina Declaration of Secession?

• Like Like x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Liked to attend parties with students and let them know that he was ivy league and they weren't. Told them that he was destined for the white house.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I recall getting into this “debate” with several of our nuttier posters back in the day, seems this was a line of propaganda many in the south grew up with and you can’t argue with them, it’s all but ingrained in their DNA.

“The war was for states rights and freedom from federal tyranny!” has a different ring to it when you simply fail to acknowledge the “right” those states wanted was the buying and selling of humans as livestock. They always find ways to ignore that, I guess calling slavery a “competing economic system” is a coping mechanism to dance around the issue. Pretty sick for someone presumed smart enough to know better…

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I had seen about the party attendance before and I admit that's a bit creepy. But really bothered me was that he was a history teacher and really tried to remove the moral component from judging slavery. Tried to characterize it as just another economic system, and that the Civil War was nothing except competing economic systems absent any moral component

• Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    covid killed more people over 65 in Florida than anywhere else. DeSantis for the win...

COVID has killed more people age 65 or older in Florida than anywhere in U.S. (msn.com)

While Gov. Ron DeSantis prioritized immunizing “Seniors First” in the first three months of 2021, the coronavirus has since killed more people ages 65 and older in Florida than anywhere else in the nation. Florida's COVID death rate among the elderly is higher here than in most states, and the size of our elderly population alone doesn't explain it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ron was Joey Freshwater before Lane was. Apparently he was popular with the girls at the high school he taught at..

[Exclusive] [PIC] Ron DeSantis Accused of Attending Drinking Party With Students At High School Where He Taught | HillReporter

Darlington is a boarding and day school, for grades Pre-K through 12. In 2001, when DeSantis joined the staff of the high school, he’d have been in his twenties, with college and work in politics already under his proverbial belt. His students would have been high school co-eds, teenagers, some of whom would have been living on-campus. According to our whistleblower, he had a reputation among students for being a young “hot teacher” who girls loved, and the girls in the photo are believed to have graduated in 2002, making them seniors at the time.

The photo shows a person purported to be DeSantis, in a group embrace with several young girls, one of whom is holding what appears to be a glass beer bottle. The source who provided the photo says that it was taken prior to graduation — meaning the young girls would still have been DeSantis’ responsibility at the time. It is not clear whether any of them were legal adults, though they would have been too young to purchase alcohol.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    “Groomer”-obsessed Gov. Ron DeSantis partied with students as a 23-year-old teacher (msn.com)

Another former student remembers seeing a memo reminding teachers that fraternizing with students was inappropriate. “‘That’s got to be about Mr. DeSantis!’ That’s what I remember everyone saying,” recalled 2003 Darlington grad Gates Minis.

DeSantis also made waves as a history teacher. His counter-factual views on the Civil War were so notorious that students made a clip for the school’s video yearbook mocking them. In the clip, a student imitating DeSantis says, “The Civil War was not about slavery! It was about two competing economic systems.”

“In history class, he was trying to play devil’s advocate that the South had good reason to fight that war, to kill other people, over owning people — Black people,” Danielle Pompey, a 2003 graduate, said. Pompey also alleges that during her time at Darlington, DeSantis was “hostile” toward her because she is Black.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    FB_IMG_1667853631563.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/11/08/justice-department-monitors-florida-desantis/

The DeSantis administration is attempting to block Department of Justice election monitors from gaining access to polling places in South Florida, saying in a letter that the federal government’s involvement would be “counterproductive” and in violation of state law.

On Monday, the Justice Department announced that it would send federal monitors to 64 jurisdictions nationwide to monitor how elections are being conducted. Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties were all slated to receive federal monitors from the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division.

But Brad McVay, the chief counsel for the Florida Department of State, said in a letter issued late Monday that those monitors would not be allowed inside polling places under Florida law.

McVay said the Florida secretary of state’s office — which Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis oversees — would instead send its own monitors to those three counties, which are among the most Democratic-leaning counties in Florida.

20. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    Not if you are willing to cherry pick the constitutional guaranteed rights that you want to ignore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.