Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Because we all know that they are bringing fentanyl over the border in their backpacks and diaper bags.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    DeSantis supports O'Dea in Colorado Senate race and opposes Trump - Colorado News

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) records an auto-call for Senate maverick Joe O’Dea, a boost for the Colorado Republican after former President Donald Trump urged grassroots conservatives to to stop his election campaign.

“Hello, this is Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. America desperately needs strong leadership. That’s why I support Joe O’Dea for the US Senate. Colorado, please vote for Joe O’Dea,” DeSantis said in the robocall, a recording of which was made available to him Washington Examiner on Sunday from the O’Dea campaign. “I watched Joe from afar. And I’m impressed.”

With O’Dea’s endorsement, DeSantis is charting a separate course from Trump in the midterms, fueling speculation that the two Republican heavyweights are on a collision course in the upcoming 2024 GOP presidential primary. Just days earlier, the former president lashed out at O’Dea, calling him a “RINO,” which stands for “Republican in Name Only,” and criticizing him for being open about their disagreements.

O’Dea’s strategy of distancing himself from Trump and taking centrist positions on certain issues makes sense in a blue state that rarely votes Republicans nationally and lags behind Senator Michael Bennet (D-CO) in opinion polls. Bennet led O’Dea 49.5% to 42% im RealClearPolitics Average and has outperformed his Republican challenger in all six of the most recent polls.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Governor announced $5million for homeowners needing assistance with hurricane deductibles.

4. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    It's a political party trying to transfer Internet troll behavior to the real world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well said. Great description

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Had not seen this DeSantis quote. From an article about Christian nationalists. Creepy.

At a recent campaign stop for Mastriano in Pittsburgh, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) urged the crowd to “put on the full armor of God” and “take a stand against the left’s schemes.”

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    A Florida Judge Claps back on Ron DeSantis' Election Police Scam (msn.com)

I’ll put the legalese into layman’s terms for you: Dear Gov. DeSantis, this ain’t it. The state’s argument that the Florida Office of the Statewide Prosecutor has jurisdiction over any election violation is bogus, because those crimes—if there were any—would have been local offenses, which would be the business of local prosecutors.

Which means there’s a chance that DeSantis’ clear attempt at intimidating people from voting may have met its end, just like that, because there’s no guarantee that local prosecutors have any interest in expending the resources to go after people who cast ballots after they had been told by the state that they were allowed to vote. Local prosecutors have the burden of going after, y’know, real crimes, like rape, murder, robberies and gun violence—all the things alleged tough-on-crime governors like DeSantis claim they want prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Of course, DeSantis has already said he’ll appeal the decision, which means a battle over the fate of his policy before a higher court, if not several. In the meantime, it’s not clear what happens to the other 19 defendants, but so far, so good.

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    ^^ so many appeals, so many legal bills. . Great time to be a constitutional lawyer I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Eh. On one hand, yes, I am very busy. On the other hand, it's sad that I have to spend so much energy on stuff that is just awful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is why people correctly point out that DeSantis is passing these laws to prevent the teaching of accurate history:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Great article on DeSantis's plan to ban gender-affirming care:
    The People He Needs to Be Hurting
    A handful of vocal right-wing grifters have been pushing the idea that youth gender-affirming care is some sort of free-for-all, where anything goes and there are no guidelines or best practices and the doctors are all woke activists. This is not true. Let me tell you what youth gender-affirming care looks like based on my experience as a parent: It is a long, cautious, and individualized process that involves teams of therapists, psychologists, medical doctors, patients, and families. The recent book A Girlhood, by Carolyn Hays, is an excellent primer on what navigating this process looks like, and also on the fears and threats that families of transgender youth often endure.

Regret rates from gender-affirming care are small. There are people who have detransitioned, or wish to do so, and they should receive all the help they need. But the evidence suggests that there are many more people who’d benefit from the care that the Florida Board of Medicine may ban if it adheres to Ladapo’s request. The fact that some people cease or revert treatments is not a reason to deny those treatments to a larger population.

Restricting gender-affirming care would take a broad brush to a complex reality. It would ignore differences between patients. And it would also deprive families of autonomy. I work at the intersection of data and scientific literacy, and I don’t want someone as politically motivated as Joseph Ladapo to dictate what healthcare my family—or any other family—can or cannot access. I’d prefer to rely on actual standards and let families decide for themselves. This is, after all, what “parents’ rights” is all about.
    The problem is that arguing about science, liberty, or autonomy is beside the point. What’s happening in Florida has nothing to do with science; it’s all about fueling political polarization. Ron DeSantis is a man of theoconservative and authoritarian inclinations, as his rhetoric and actions suggest, and he has presidential ambitions. He’s also a keen observer of what his most ardent supporters want, such as the desire to attack those whose existence they find offensive while claiming that they do it for our own good. Those who support DeSantis’s crusade against families with trans kids should beware. History teaches that when you choose leaders to hurt people you hate, they eventually end up hurting the people you love, too.

• Like Like x 3
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is an excellent piece.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Are you all going to start a new thread after DeSantis wins in 2 weeks? Call it Desantistan rises or something.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Perhaps that might depend on whether DeSantis would still be poster child for punitive big government.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  15. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    This whole stolen land thing. Technically it is correct, however most nations are built on “stolen land” so it’s a non-factor through the lens of history.

England was built after the Angles and the Saxons squeezed the Britons out.
    China was consolidated by one dynasty/tribe conquering others
    Germany, Italy, Russia - all consolidated when the ruling kingdoms forced their dominion on others.
    Japan was consolidated by the most powerful shogun subjugating all the rest.

Again, the statement isn’t wrong, it’s just out of context and seems like it is inconsistently applied to the US

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Why is it a non-factor? It's called accurate and honest history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I take your point, which is accurate, although the US history is a bit more recent. But it’s still a solid point.

But we don’t know the context in which the instruction was given. It could’ve been similarly appropriate in contacts. We should not except the way DeSantis words it to be inflammatory. He’s typically dishonest and divisive.

In fact, I don’t know what he’s quoting. He could be quoting a college textbook or another book, or just misquoting and claiming that he’s trying to protect it from being taught to elementary school kids, even though there’s no evidence that actually occurred. That’s part of what Charlie was getting to in the debate, that he’s trying to address issues that have not occurred in Florida

19. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    But it doesn't pound into the young kids heads that the US is a POS country with nothing to be proud of.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Don't teach slavery or Jim Crow. They make the United States look bad too. Don't talk about many of the founders being slaveowners either. We can't talk honestly about our history if it makes kids think we did bad things. I'm glad some of y'all have at least stopped pretending that this isn't about hiding the sins of our history.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.