Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    6EC647A2-6D1C-4437-8FDF-BBAE1075C739.jpeg

2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair Districts Amendment was passed by citizen initiative. DeSantis is bad, but the Florida Legislature routinely showed absolute contempt for citizen initiatives amendments meant to lessen their power. They just don’t care.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    this should help with the teacher shortage...smdh

Florida plans to revoke teaching licenses for those who discuss sexual orientation (msn.com)

The State of Florida has proposed plans to revoke the teaching licenses of those who are caught teaching K-3 students about sexual orientation or gender identity.

Under the proposed rule, teachers who intentionally provide classroom instruction to K-3 students regarding those topics will face revocation or suspension of their teaching license, as well as other penalties as provided by law.

The rule is meant to enforce the Florida's Parental Rights in Education law, or what some call the "Don't Say Gay" law.

The rule was proposed in August and was approved by Florida Education Commissioner Manny Diaz Jr. in late September.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Remember when DeSantis’ dishonest defenders (tautology) said there was no express language in the original bill? It authorized rulemaking to implement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    so you want teachers to discuss sexual orientation with children?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    No but I don't want teachers being micromanaged from Tallahassee if a student asks why Cindy has two moms or Johnny has two dads. I seriously doubt that this is ever a problem and believe that the whole thing is just red meat for the far right. I also believe that the micromanagement and threat of removal of teaching license and dismissal creates an environment that will discourage some from either entering or remaining in the profession. This is a solution in search of a problem occurring when there are real problems that need attention (homeowner insurance, teacher shortages, prison guard shortages..I could go on)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    First Grade Teacher: "What's wrong, Becky?"
    Becky: *Crying* "Johnny keeps pulling my hair and telling me that I smell and have cooties!"
    First Grade Teacher: "Don't be upset, Becky. Johnny is a boy, and boys do that to girls they have a crush on. I'll have a talk with him."

Uh oh, the teacher just instructed on sexual orientation AND gender identity. Better yank her teaching license.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Twenty-eight people have been arrested on charges related to looting in Lee County, the county hit hardest by Hurricane Ian — three of whom were singled out by Gov. Ron DeSantis in news conferences.

The three individuals have one thing in common: They are in the country illegally.

DeSantis was quick to underscore the immigration status of three suspects during a news conference on Oct. 4 in Fort Myers, where he provided updates on the hurricane recovery process. DeSantis said that four people had been arrested at that point on charges related to looting, but subsequent records show at least eight arrests had been made by then.

“Three of the four are illegal aliens,” DeSantis said five minutes into the news conference. “These are people that are foreigners. They are illegally in our country — and not only that — they try to loot and ransack in the aftermath of a natural disaster. They should be prosecuted, but they need to be sent back to their home country.”

https://tampabaytimes-fl.newsmemory.com/?publink=0d5240143_134867a

9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great example. Except no one really thinks the rule will be applied neutrally according to its language. It’s so broad it could be triggered by a heterosexual teacher mentioning their spouse. Or something most would consider innocent like a female teacher talking about Betsy Ross with admiration. The language is that broad.

But this will be used just to harass teachers they suspect of being liberal or unconventional or somehow taking Christian beliefs seriously

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One example I know would get me in trouble if I was a teacher, but which I think is true and which would likely cause some heavy cognitive dissonance.

I have long maintained that measured from the standard of His time, Jesus of Nazareth, no matter who you think He is, was the greatest feminist in history. For a first century Jewish man in the area to tell women they should speak with men instead of serve dinner, and numerous other examples from scripture, He was a radical feminist for His times.

I would mean that is a sincere compliment, as admonition that this historical figure deserves immense respect and consideration of being, at a minimum, a highly enlightened human. But I would be rounded up and fired, possibly arrested, certainly sued

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    no parents don't want this
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/groomer-teachers-gender-theory-ideology/

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    School Boards are next.

13. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Good for her but that's few and far between, don't think most parents even give 2 shits anymore.

14. gator421

gator421 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

15. gator421

gator421 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That seems to be his whole game. Finding solutions(supposedly) for problems that don’t exist.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well said

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I guess this response means you agree that my hypothetical teacher would be violating the Don't Say Gay Bill by saying those things? But yes, we know that the fascist Republicans are going full Karen on school boards because they desire to not only ruin their own kids' education, but also to ruin the educations other parents' children will receive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    How tragic all around. A scared confused middle school aged victim of incest finally finds her way into PP only to be told No, sorry. Wonder the outcome if the child lived in Immokalee or Hialeah and not so close to the border.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gay moral panic for a moment. Let’s return to race, The other great source of fear. I know that the state wants to mandate teaching of false US history on the issue. I wonder if they’ll go back into natural history 200 million years. I wonder if teachers will be allowed to say that the land that is now Florida broke off from Africa

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.