Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'd like to chalk this up to DeSantis being stupid and uneducated, but he's not. The only explanation for this is that DeSantis is extraordinarily dishonest:

This is why he and his cronies don't want accurate history taught, so they can repeat these lies and not be called on it. We literally wrote slavery into the U.S. Constitution AFTER the American Revolution.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Man, what a whiny little voice he has. He's just the other side of the revisionist history coin, doing exactly what he accuses others of doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/fabiola-santiago/article266144296.html

DeSantis is lying his way back into Florida’s governor’s mansion. U.N.’s Venezuela report proves it

Opinion
    BY FABIOLA SANTIAGO UPDATED SEPTEMBER 23, 2022 4:28 PM

When it comes to immigration, what comes out of Gov. DeSantis’ mouth is pure, orchestrated deceit. During an appearance Thursday at Miami Dade College, he asserted: “Most of these people clearly do not qualify for asylum.” How does he know? He doesn’t. It’s political gibberish.

While DeSantis and his operatives were using distraught Venezuelan immigrants in Texas as political pawns to shame President Biden and punk the media this week, the United Nations issued a scathing report on the state of Venezuela.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Florida is one of the national leaders in banned books. Maybe that makes some people proud. Sure doesn't make me feel like I live in a "free state."
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    upload_2022-9-25_9-7-7.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Do you know what a public library is? They are all over the state of Florida.

Last I checked parents can take their kids there for free, read, or check out any books for them they like.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You think they aren't banning books at public libraries?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Haven’t at mine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Well, that doesn't seem like it is that convenient for everybody. But yes, there have been multiple incidents around the country of these groups targeting public libraries.

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    State of Florida states that it can specifically regulate any faculty pronouncements at public universities

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    My lord. :emoji_face_palm:

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One Columbian woman’s explanation why she endured so much to cross the border and seek a new life in our country

I finally decided that we should flee after a group of eight gangsters entered our house at about 3 a.m. and threatened us with weapons. They tied our hands to our feet and took everything we had. The only thing they said was that we had to leave. It was clear to me at that moment that I needed to ensure my son’s safety.

The only thing I ask in my prayers is that we win our asylum case. I pray for a permit to work and that this country of opportunity will allow us to prove we are grateful human beings and want to contribute good things.

I know my son will represent the United States as his homeland proudly. I dream of seeing my son graduate from school, that the United States will allow him to study at university so he can become a professional who contributes to the community.

I crossed the U.S.-Mexico border to save my son. This is my story.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's why they hired the fancy conservative heavy hitters from D.C. The Republicans want to overturn academic freedom in higher education. Frankly, they kind of have to make this argument. There are only two real ways to defend the clearly unconstitutional Stop W.O.K.E. Act:
    1) It's an anti-discrimination law. This argument fails because it bars ideas, not conduct.
    2) It's curtailing only government speech. This argument fails because a long line of precedents going back to the red scare are clear about academic freedom and First Amendment protections for college professors.

The ironic part in all of this is an extremely conservative panel on the Sixth Circuit came to the opposite conclusion when determining whether a college professor could refuse to use a student's preferred pronouns:
    https://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/21a0071p-06.pdf

Amul Thapar (runner-up for the Gorsuch and Kavanaugh SCOTUS openings) wrote the opinion with Joan Larsen (shortlist for the Barrett SCOTUS opening) and McKeague (very highly regarded in conservative circles) signing on to the opinion. This is from Thapar's introduction:
    "Traditionally, American universities have been beacons of intellectual diversity and academic freedom. They have prided themselves on being forums where controversial ideas are discussed and debated. And they have tried not to stifle debate by picking sides. But Shawnee State chose a different route: It punished a professor for his speech on a hotly contested issue. And it did so despite the constitutional protections afforded by the First Amendment."

How much respect for the Constitution and free speech can "conservatives" who support DeSantis really have? IMO, not much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Way to go. Gotta give props to a former eastside ram

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    While DeSantis was flying legal asylum seekers to Martha's Vineyard, business owners in his state were struggling for workers | CNN Business

While DeSantis was flying legal asylum seekers to Martha’s Vineyard, business owners in his state were struggling for workers

By Vanessa Yurkevich, CNN
    Updated 11:14 AM EDT, Mon September 26, 2022

. . . . There are 11.2 million open jobs in the United States, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics — up from 10.8 million last year. And there were 1.5 million open hospitality jobs in July. IHRMC says 60% of their 4,500 employees left the company during the pandemic, many to work from home. Now Gautam and other managers are picking up the slack — in housekeeping, the kitchen, and at the front desk.

Which is why some business owners in Florida were perplexed when Florida Governor Ron DeSantis sent legal asylum seekers from San Antonio, Texas, to Martha’s Vineyard on two flights earlier this month. . . .

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    While American households and small business owners were struggling ... Biden sent another $12 billion to Ukraine ...

upload_2022-9-27_8-12-9.jpeg

• Off-topic Off-topic x 4
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I still have a strong feel for the so-called burden of illegal immigration on impacted communities near the border. At the extreme, I certainly understand if you own property on the border that crosses use. Certainly that's an impact that I could understand would cause extremely negative feelings. But from everything I've read in terms of a systemic study, there is some strain on local hospitals and social services, etc. To the extent that is the impact, it seems that could be ameliorated through Federal funding. Also some educational impacts. But otherwise, I don't see a direct adverse financial impact on the community, certainly not the larger community. Immigrants are usually economically productive.

I listened to one podcast where they stated the liberals such as myself are not necessarily cognizant of the impact but they didn't directly explain what those adverse impacts were. I've never understood that the impact was that negative I prior readings, but they're obviously strong feelings. That's an issue I would like to understand better.

I feel like too much of the resistance is based upon the perception of the pace of cultural change that population demographic changes, not only through immigration, but just through generational change, invariably bring. That's a normal human impulse, but not one I'm sympathetic to in determining public policy, because it's inevitable and part of the human condition.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    This is possible in MAGA world. Look out Martha - the storm is coming.

20. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    These are some of the things Biden has done for American households, facts that you ignore.

received_977024106527020.jpeg

received_306673321510120.jpeg

received_310167507791283.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.