Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The risk was drastically minimized by the majority of teachers and students being vaccinated. 100% vaccination was never a reality, but we had a large enough majority to make it safe for kids. Remember many of the kids were still in contact with unvaxed kids outside of school or at home. I think the risk was very minimal and I believe the science backs that up.

2. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DeSantis certainly doesn't agree that "personal business can do as they wish". Long before his retaliation against Disney, DeSantis battled the cruise lines, which attempted to resurrect their industry by requiring vaccines and masks, so that they could assure travelers that it would be safe for them to resume cruising.

Screenshot_20210831-120908_Facebook.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think this writer doesn't understand how much those who are excited by DeSantis' actions are really turned on by it.

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/23/ro...ays-is-his-2024-campaign-suddenly-in-trouble/

Last week when I wrote about Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' sadistic little trolling exercise — coercing asylum seekers to board a plane for Martha's Vineyard, purely to own the libs — I speculated that Donald Trump must have been gnashing his teeth over his former protégé stealing the idea from him. That was true, as it turned out. Rolling Stone reported that Trump was furious, claiming that he'd tried to do something similar as president but the bureaucrats wouldn't let him. Of course, Trump was also livid that DeSantis was getting all the attention on right-wing media.

Well, he needn't have worried about losing the spotlight. This week all the attention pivoted back to Trump as numerous legal crises descended upon him and DeSantis faded into the background. Which was a lucky break for the Florida governor, honestly. Some rather unsavory facts have emerged in the last few days about his Martha's Vineyard stunt, shedding light on who may have profited from it as well as what he had hoped to achieve with an aborted flight to Delaware — President Biden's home state — that was supposed to happen a few days later.

This story is still unfolding, but the more we learn, the uglier the whole thing looks. Payments for the Martha's Vineyard flight apparently went to some big-donor cronies with connections to the DeSantis administration, and no one has yet figured out who hired the shadowy characters in Texas who made all kinds of false promises to asylum seekers to get them on the plane. The Miami Herald is all over this and I'm sure their reporters will dig up more very soon.

As for the Delaware flight, it was originally scheduled to take off from San Antonio on Tuesday, with the same shady characters luring unsuspecting migrants onto the plane. Then it was abruptly canceled, possibly because word got out and authorities in Delaware government were prepared to receive them. Some in the press have swallowed the line that the plan was to "punk" the Delaware libs by making them get ready for a bunch of migrants and then landing an empty plane in New Jersey, which strikes me as ridiculous. Potential passengers had already been recruited, who were left high and dry when the plan was canceled at the last minute. It seems far more likely that DeSantis and his accomplices started to feel the heat and decided to call the whole thing off.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. tilly

Yeah. I called him out for that.
    It was the wrong move.

5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Cruise lines bet on the wrong horse.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cruise lines did what they absolutely had to do to convince travelers that they could resume cruising safely. Cruising had been toxic and dead in the water for a year due to Covid.

Like the authoritarian that he is, DeSantis countermanded private companies' business decisions for no purpose other than self-serving political posturing. DeSantis at his WORST.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Cruise lines did what they had to do and required vaccines and said to heck with Desantis

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Liberal tolerance?? Seriously?
    Reading thru your comments you seem to forget that people actually died during covid, hence the closures to avoid the spread. I'm sure your kids and others suffered as you say, but many others died or had relatives/friends that died. I happen to know a couple, thankfully no relatives or close friends.

Equating covid restrictions with DeSantis' recent immigration moves is a bit bizarre to me. Talk about false equivalencies and partisan takes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. tilly

Covid restrictions? I supported many of those. I didn't support isolating CHILDREN. The data didnt really back up the idea of keeping a very small minority of kids away from vaccinated teachers and students.

(I say this as someone with vaccinated kids). I just dont think the risk in that setting was worthy of the isolation.

10. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    None of this has anything to do with DeSantis using refugees as pawns in a power play solely for his own personal political benefit at taxpayer expense

Whatever your opinion of the school mandates, they were intended to save lives during a lethal pandemic that has killed 1,055,000 Americans. DeSantis had no such humanitarian motive. He sent these people unknowingly to an expensive island resort with limited employment opportunities during the off-season, very high lodging prices, and no way to leave the island without spending money for an expensive ferry trip. He didn't give a s*** about those people.

Fortunately, the locals cared more than DeSantis did and helped them out.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Cruise lines failed their customers (and almost buried themselves) by capitulating to feckless entities that terrorized and gaslit Americans and shaped policy that literally killed multitudes.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    What states kept their schools closed after vaccines became widespread? The vast majority of closures ended in ‘21. Whatever stragglers remained, it’s far more plausible it was in an abundance of caution than some evil liberal plot to harm kids. I mean come on, do you really believe that?

There’s just no comparison to DeSantis straight up pulling the stranger-in-the-white-van-with-candy maneuver on vulnerable immigrants.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NO ONE would board a cruise ship for months. The cruise lines had no choice but to demonstrate that they were taking every precaution to keep their passengers safe.

14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    No one was ALLOWED to board a cruise line for months. Calm guidance of the sort that DeSantis *eventually* exhibited (recall when he and Kemp were going to turn FL and GA into necropolises) would have been far healthier for bodies and minds than the shrieking terror promulgated by public health and media.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ignoring the problem is never the best approach during a lethal pandemic.

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The problem was the solution. Full stop.

17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tragedy today. Peter Antonacci died of a massive heart attack unexpectedly. Very sad

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Let em die" is not a solution.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022

20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Judge rules for Warren, against DeSantis. Wants to see the two parties state their case in court. Wonder if Cannon is going to somehow draw this one too..

'A victory for the truth': Judge refuses to throw out suspended prosecutor’s Ron DeSantis lawsuit (msn.com)

Nonetheless, Florida has a large, highly vocal Democratic opposition, and one of the Florida Democrats who has aggressively stood up to the far-right Gov. Ron DeSantis is Andrew Warren — a Hillsborough County prosecutor who DeSantis removed on August 4. DeSantis was obviously determined to punish Warren for declaring that he will not enforce an abortion ban in Florida or prosecute those who provide gender transition treatment for youths. Now, Warren is suing DeSantis.

On Monday, September 19, Judge Robert Hinkle, according to The Guardian, made two decisions affecting Warren. Hinkle denied DeSantis’ motion to dismiss Warren’s lawsuit, but he also denied a motion from Warren asking that he be reinstated as Hillsborough County prosecutor immediately. Although Warren’s suspension remains, Hinkle ruled that his lawsuit against DeSantis can go forward — and Hinkle wants to see Warren and DeSantis address their differences in court in the weeks ahead.

Warren discussed Hinkle’s verdict with The Guardian, saying, “The governor now has to answer it to a court of law where facts matter and where you have to tell the truth. It’s a victory for the truth. A federal judge has ruled that the governor has to come into court to explain the reasons behind my suspension, to show that it wasn’t political, to show that it wasn’t in violation of my free speech rights, to show that it wasn’t in violation of the voters’ rights to have the state attorney of their choice.”

Hopefully this gives confidence to the Broward School Board to file suit demanding reinstatement.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.