Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    No it isn't. School systems make choices. Deciding it's safer for the kids to stay home - whether because a hurricane is coming or because there's a pandemic going on - is not authoritarianism.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You were criticizing people who voted for the Clintons. It's worth pointing out you voted for somebody even worse. (And FWIW, I didn't vote for either Clinton. Although, I regret the decision to not vote for Hillary. Didn't think Trump would win.) In any case, you're championing a guy who is cruel . . . again. I keep hoping he'll do something that'll prove to you he's a bad person. But you're not a Floridian, so we're a long ways from it mattering.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I doubt Newsom is the Democratic nominee if Biden doesn't run.

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I believe Cali's rule is set to start in January unless its changed

5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
  7. tilly

Yeah. Thats wrong. My kids were harmed by the isolation. A hurricane is a week. My daughter lost her soph and junior years and was deeply impacted by the lack of social events. She struggled deeply with it. Now Newsome still has a vax mandate slated for January I believe.

I would move to another state before I locked my kids down for 18 months again.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. tilly

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    It's really not that hard to google stuff before you post it. Give it a try.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Their attorneys are the Boston affiliate for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. Basically, these are civil rights attorneys at a nonprofit who do this work pro bono. So the whole "ambulance chaser" mantra doesn't exactly fit lol.
    Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Or they could just get vaccinated

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The term is usually applied to personal injury attorneys not well respected civil rights lawyers. Looks like Governor Ron may have overstepped with his political stunt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You’ve gone over the deep end. In one 10-day period from late August to early September of 2020, 13 staff members of the Miami-Dade public school system died of COVID-19. That’s just one example. The CDC and others were trying to save lives in the best way they could. Others didn’t seem to give a crap. That latter group caused an enormous amount of deaths and serious illness in this country.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Really sorry to hear about your daughter. Although it didn't affect me one way or the other since my son graduated from high school back in 2006 Fairfax County Virginia schools reopened in September 2020. Not completely sure but if I recall the school system also provided the option of online or hybrid learning for parents who elected to do so for all or part of that school year.

16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    They were clearly mislead and defrauded by this anti-immigrant activist group. It’s not even a question as Desantis actually admitted it. Which I thought pretty funny, less then 24 hours after even I thought no way Desantis had anything to do with the crazy brochure scam. Instead, he admitted it!

The only question is whether the group saw any traceable financial loss or suffering from this inconvenience. In the end they were made whole and received charity, so some might think “no harm, no foul”. But this making whole was only after the fact - after being traumatized from being dumped off in the wrong place - and it came at the expense of concerned citizens in Martha’s Vinyard, NO thanks to Desantis, so it isn’t quite that simple as to just dismiss it imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    who is your pick. If they run Biden or Kamala, that would be a bad thing and help DeSantis to the victory just liek runnign Hillary gave us Trump

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Quite an ignorant statement considering the legal work is being done pro-bono!

The civil rights attorneys are most likely seeking to get an injunction or court order preventing Desantis from pulling these stunts in the future. Their fees will be paid by concerned citizens and civil rights groups, the chance of a meaningful payday from damages is likely small (although there is no doubt the victims were harmed, the tangible amount would be small and likely not the impetus for a high profile firm to take up the case).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I have no idea. It'll depend on the 2022 (and 2023) elections. I can tell you that the moderate wing (which makes up the majority) is pragmatic. I think they'll want either a Rust Belt or Sun Belt Democrat. If Gretchen Whitmer, John Fetterman, or Raphael Warnock run extremely well in 2022, I could see them getting a huge boost. Andy Beshear, the Governor of Kentucky, will also be taken seriously if he manages to win again in 2023. Obviously, Kamala Harris, being the VP and a Black woman, will be taken seriously too.

I simply don't see the pragmatic moderates falling head over heels for a white, male liberal from California. And the Bernie wing of the party doesn't love Newsom either. Fetterman is actually somebody respected by the Bernie wing who has the chops to also do well with the pragmatists, if he crushes Dr. Oz. But Kamala Harris might prove hard to beat if the majority of Black Democrats back her. All this to say, I have no earthly idea what happens if Biden doesn't run, but I don't see Newsom winning the pragmatists or the progressives.

You know it!

They're suing for damages, in addition to injunctive and declaratory relief. But I have no idea what the fees arrangement is. With this being a suit brought under 42 U.S.C. 1983, they can recover attorneys' fees if DeSantis's side loses. Thus, I don't know if they'll take some percentage of the class award or not for the organization. Regardless, the lawyer themselves are salaried and won't benefit from this monetarily (because they work for a nonprofit).

• Informative Informative x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.