Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He's just another book burner.

2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Well, if this is accurate, maybe DeSantis has a better sense of GOP primary voters than Trump does?

Poll: GOP voters say fighting "woke" ideology more important than stopping Social Security cuts

Most Republican primary voters say fighting "woke" ideology in schools and businesses is more important to them than protecting Medicare and Social Security from cuts, a new Wall Street Journal poll out today showed.

The big picture: Former President Trump has attacked DeSantis over his past support for changes to Social Security and Medicare.
    • But 55% of Republicans say that fighting "woke ideology in our schools and businesses" is more important than protecting entitlement programs from cuts, per the Journal poll.
    • 27% of Republican voters say protecting Social Security and Medicare benefits from cuts is more important to them.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    There is clearly already a lot going on in this thread, but this seems worth discussion. DeSantis is lowering the requirements for the death sentence from unanimous jury agreement to 8 of 12 jurors. Already the state has so much power here, so I do not like this move.

“Under the new requirements, prosecutors only need to convince eight out of 12 jurors that a defendant should be sent to death row. Of the 24 states that are actively carrying out the death penalty, just three states allow non-unanimous death sentence verdicts. In Alabama, a 10-2 juror majority is needed. In Missouri and Indiana, a judge can decide if the jury is divided.”

Gov. DeSantis signs controversial death penalty legislation

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    If 5% of those Republican voters that were polled could correctly define "woke" I would be pleasantly surprised.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would just point to you if I was asked to define "woke"

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That Gov. DeSaster guy sure is an emotional little dwarf isn’t he?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And he should probably thank you for the compliment.

woke
    1 of 2
    adjective
    ˈwōk

woker; wokest
    Synonyms of woke
    chiefly US slang
    a
    : aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice).”

Definition of WOKE

9. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    And I would consider that to be a compliment considering the alternative. I would NEVER want to be lumped in with that group.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Florida has had the most people exonerated from death row since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976. But sure, let's lower the threshold on the death penalty. Why not sentence some more innocent people to death?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Putting an innocent person to death is no big deal for a psycho like DeSantis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    At the very least, he seems to exhibit a continual confidence that his beliefs are so justified and righteous that they are fit to be inscribed into state law.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I think this goes too far. It seems to me that DeSantis simply believes that his judgement is superior to that of the consensus of a jury, so this move will result in better outcomes. I think we both disagree with this, but that shouldn’t make him a psycho murderer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    I didn't call him a psycho murderer. But I don't think he cares if an innocent person gets put to death because of this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Regardless, I don’t think your claim is demonstrated by DeSantis’ action. Similarly, another poster today said that the fact that some Democrats voted against a transgender ban in sports shows how they don’t care at all about women. This is obviously a fallacious line of reasoning. It’s quite likely that DeSantis doesn’t believe that this move will further endanger innocent people, as the system will still require a unanimous vote to determine guilt.

16. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    We just disagree. We know that innocent people get convicted. And DeSantis has just made it easier for an innocent person to be executed. If he cared at all about that possibility, I don't think he would have loosened the criteria for the death penalty. I think it takes a truly awful person to do what DeSantis just did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    The jury is still out. No one thought he’d flex an impotent Napoleon complex either. I bet he tortured animals as a kid. He’s a sick dude.

18. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Don't know whether to put this here or in the smiles and laughs thread but since I think he was serious, I'll put it here.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Well perhaps we disagree, but it may just be a matter of definitions. If we define anyone who supports a law that makes it more likely for an innocent person to die as not caring about innocent lives, then clearly DeSantis fits the bill. However, it may be worth exploring whether this is a proper definition. Eg what if we found out that DeSantis cried for three weeks for every innocent person executed? Would it still be appropriate to say that he didn’t at all care about the lives of innocents? And what about all of us that support the right to drive motor vehicles, which has resulted in many more deaths of innocent people than the state’s death penalty? Do we not care for the lives of innocent people?

I think these are tougher questions than you are giving them credit for. Saying someone else who we don’t know doesn’t care for the lives of innocent people is a serious claim and should require serious justification I think.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2023-4-21_20-59-54.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.