Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

So what’s new in DuhSantistan?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Thank you for a good laugh today

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    So you are saying you have no proof he said he was a Navy Seal.....

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe you should quote the point DeSantis makes the claim

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I said that he inferred it in his commercials, and watching them certainly leads the impression. You just repeated the same argument that I replied to. The commercial leads the viewer to believe he was a naval aviator and a navy seal. He was neither.

Did he say those words, I don’t know.

If you don’t see the commercials as making those inferences, that’s fine. I find that humorous, but then again, my bar for humor is very low.

I’m sure you gleaned from those commercials that he worked as a JAG lawyer, held no military training as either an aviator or special services operative such as Navy Seals, and did not participate in active military combat, other than interviewing prisoners.

I believe you would be unique if that was your takeaway. I certainly feel confident that the producers of that advertisement, as approved by DeSantis, wanted to send the message that I believe was inferred in the commercials.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I said in the post he responded that the commercials inferred he was a navy seal and aviator. I did not ever say, he made that explicit claim.

To be clear, my original response was to his exact point, “show me where he said it,” to which I responded the commercial inferred it.

He then said, “show me where he said it.”
    That to me was funny, because it is the functional equivalent, in a debate setting, of saying, “nuh-uhhh”, or “I know you are but what am I.”

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Though Ron DeSantis was not a Navy SEAL, he did play a role in advising a SEAL team in 2007.

In that year, at the Naval Special Warfare Command Group in Coronado, California, DeSantis was assigned to Navy SEAL Team One.

He deployed to Iraq during the U.S. military troop surge at that time.

His position was Legal Advisor to the U.S. Navy SEAL Commander, Special Operations Task Force-West.

DeSantis played an advisory role to the commander in support of the SEAL mission in Fallujah, Ramadi, and the remaining area of Al Anbar province.

As a Navy attorney, DeSantis served as senior legal advisor and close counsel to SEAL team captain Dane Thorleifson.

In this capacity, DeSantis oversaw the treatment of detainees to ensure humane conduct toward them while in Iraq.

It is reported that he worked to protect the rights of approximately 100 detainees during this time.

In addition, he monitored the missions of Navy SEALs and Army Green Berets in his jurisdiction to ensure they followed and adhered to the rule of law.

This monitoring included making sure that interrogations followed the rules of the U.S. military and the Geneva Conventions.

Military records substantiate DeSantis’s duties in Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula during 2007 and part of 2008, described as follows:

• Special operations
    • Special reconnaissance
    • Intelligence operations
    • Foreign internal defense operations
    Therefore, though Ron DeSantis was not a Navy SEAL himself, he did play a role as legal advisor to SEAL Captain Dane Thorleifson, commander of Special Operations Task Force-West in Iraq.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    There is definitely luck involved. New York was very unlucky early on as covid was raging in NYC before people knew it. If you exclude the first 3 months of the pandemic NY has done vastly better than Florida. And if you look at the age-adjusted covid death rate chart, the bottom 5 states (MS, TX, OK, AL, TN) are all red states and all had similar covid responses to Florida with regards to mandates and shutdowns. Florida seems to have lucked out compared to a state like Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He was a lawyer. Right. Those ads don’t touch upon his actual job.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Comparing Covid death rates meaningless since there is no Covid.

Even comparing excess deaths would have to take into account Florida’s elderly population.

However, no state (or city) outright killed more people, in the early going than NYC.

For me, the important thing is that DeSantis was bold to bring in alternative perspectives and to throw off useless and onerous restrictions.

My current state of NC was probably middle of the road in terms of restrictions. But vacationing in FL was like being on the better side of the Berlin Wall - glorious masklessness.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It helps our numbers that we decided not to report covid cases and deaths among the snowbirds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is really funny. If you look closely, there's a message in the snowflake. It starts with "F" and ends with "ist."

[​IMG]

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The description would have been much more accurate if it included the additional qualifying statement:
    Military records substantiate DeSantis’s duties in Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula during 2007 and part of 2008, described as follows:
    Provided legal advice and guidance with respect to
    • Special operations
    • Special reconnaissance
    • Intelligence operations
    • Foreign internal defense operations

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The New York Times wrote a piece of DeFascist's removal of Andrew Warren. Most of us already know a lot of these details, but there are some interesting nuggets of information:
    Inside Ron DeSantis’s Politicized Removal of an Elected Prosecutor
    • It was all pretextual, and they had been planning this for some time (we knew this).
    • They removed references to crime and prosecution statistics from DeSantis's EO because the data did not support removing Warren.
    • Warren was going to have a press conference the day they suspended him alerting the public that they had secured indictments in decades-old rape and murder cases. DeSantis's cronies cancelled the press conferences and told the victims' families not to show up.
    • Susan Lopez, who was at the time a judge in Hillsborough County, was coordinating with DeSantis's office behind the scenes on media statements and what policies to revoke when she took over. That should give you insight into the sort of partisan hacks that DeSantis has put in the judiciary.
    • DeSantis and his cronies disregarded any information, including statements from Warren about how he'd exercise prosecutorial discretion, that didn't support DeSantis's removal of him.

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I get you hate DeSantis but this is disingenuous on your part. Did you see if other states were doing the same?

15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Sometimes, I forget just how stupid the politicians in charge of this state are. But they are always quick to remind me:

16. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This below opinion piece is real eye opener and the Republicans are now doing their best to harm our university system.

"Florida’s students perform worse as they move up through the grades. There is consistent, massive systemic regression with age. And the gap is widening."
    "No other state comes close to Florida’s level of consistent fourth to eighth grade performance collapse. In the last three NAEP cycles — 2017, 2019 and COVID-delayed 2022 — Florida ranked sixth, fourth and third among states in fourth grade math. In those same years, Florida ranked 33th, 34th and tied for 31st in eighth grade."

Florida’s education system is vastly underperforming | Column

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I did a similar analysis years ago using the state's own tests. You could track cohorts over the years, and every year their scores were a little lower.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    DeSantis was an ASSISTANT urine collector in the military.

They didn't even trust him to collect piss on his own.

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Is it popular in the Republican Party these days to favor Russia over Ukraine? I can't keep track of their crazy beliefs anymore. Because this is a really bad answer:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.