Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sinema not running for reelection

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Mar 5, 2024.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    While I'm sure she has a lucrative gig lined up at some lobbying or private equity firm, she completely flubbed one of the easiest jobs in the world she could have held well into old age, mostly to temporarily advantage some already extremely rich people. Coulda gone out like Feinstein (wheeled out in an adult diaper to the adulation of your fellow senior citizens).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ruben Gallego will the D candidate. He is popular in the state and polls well. The R will have a primary between Kari Lake and Mark Lamb. Both are going to try and out-Trump each other, and are very far right wing candidates. Lake is the favorite, but regardless who wins, they are going have a difficult time pulling in moderates. Arizona also has a large LDS population and they tend to not be fans of Trump, or anyone who is full-on Trumper. Likely why Lake lost the Gubernatorial election.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lake is a nutjob. I hope AZ has the good sense not to put her in the Senate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A new champion arises to take her place as most annoying and worst dressed Senator

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Most polls have Gallegos leading with both Sinema and Lake both in the race. Gallegos vs. Lake direct and it's close, but with about 10% undecided. These are likely right leaning moderates that don't want to vote for a D, but don't like voting for a Trumper. Sinema gave them a third option that is I. I can't imagine Lake winning too many of these voters over.

There is still also a question if an abortion issue will be on the ballot in Nov. If there is one in Arizona, it will likely drive more Ds to the polls.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Alabama says hold my beer...

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Look for Sinema on the No Labels presidential ticket.

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Lol... when the Dems brought this guy back to life he went rogue on their Party.... Oops. :eek::D;)

10. higator85

higator85 All American

May 20, 2020
    Nah she had a goal and she accomplished it. Was a friend to billionaires and hedge fund types. She wasn’t too interested in being a senator but rather building connections in business and enriching herself. She’s done that admirably and has set herself up very very nicely for the future.

Plus she was looking at third place.

This will be a huge boon for the DemoncRAT. A likable smart ex Marine, and Hispanic American. Lake will get blown out this time. McCain’s message to her will haunt her dreams. “No peace bitch”.

11. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    She has zero chance. She burned her bridges badly enough by constantly trashing the McCain family that she’s completely turned off a lot of the voter base in AZ. In fact, her antics are why Arizona is a blue state currently, so I guess we should thank her for being the way she is. She tried to mend things with Meghan McCain the other day knowing she needed to get those voters back and she told her to F off basically.

12. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Interesting comments from Sinema about leaving Senate:

How Kyrsten Sinema — who once said she could 'do anything' if she lost reelection — can get rich now that she's retiring from the Senate (msn.com)

"I don't care. I can go on any board I want to. I can be a college president. I can do anything," Sinema purportedly told Romney. "I saved the Senate filibuster by myself. I saved the Senate by myself. That's good enough for me."

++

"If McKay Coppins's biography of Sen. Mitt Romney is to be believed, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona hasn't been worried about staying in the Senate for quite some time.

According that book, Sinema told the Utah Republican that she didn't care about winning reelection, a prospect that had long been imperiled by breaking with her party on government spending and the Senate's "filibuster" rule."

++

"The Arizona senator made little mention of her post-Senate plans in a video announcing her decision, merely saying that she's retiring because she's choosing "civility, understanding, listening, working together to get stuff done."

13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good.

14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    He actually didn't go rogue at all, but he's still annoying and poorly dressed

15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Look where? Literally no one will be able to find the "No Labels" ticket.

16. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    In the right states if 2-3% find it, Trump will win those states.