Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Should UF Pursue Bowens?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Aug 7, 2023.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I say no, but I’m petty like that.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

+1

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    Now or when he's in the portal in 2 years?

I vote no in any case

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. bogator

bogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    Curious if based on the number of spots left we are interested in another back. I think my answer would be “yes” if we weren’t so tight on numbers. But I’m not sure we take him over some of the other people we are hoping come on board, maybe at greater positions of need.

I probably gauge interest now, but wait to see what happens with other people before giving the green light. This might mean we miss out because he’s not ok to wait, but I’m ok with that.

of course he might be absolutely ok with three backs in the class and his big UGA bag, so this might be all irrelevant!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Nope. Only if we were desperate at that position and right now, while nice to have, it isn't an absolute need...at least not enough to give him another look.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    He is acting like a teenager who has been told he is the greatest and should play for the best team in the country and depth charts don't matter. For roster management purposes they have probably overrecruited the position, which Bama and Georgia have done just because RB is more important in college than the NFL, and they can recruit first year contributors to fill holes at other positions. We don't know whether he may be shown the door before ESD. He is a great talent. If the coaches find him a culture fit, I would accept him with open arms. Until we can recruit great at OL. We need 18 scholarship OL and only 4 RB.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Only if there is an open scholarship on national signing day in February.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I say no too. But I'm probably a little petty at times myself...this just ain't one pf them. Frankly, we don't need some loose cannon dogboy rolling around the locker room creating who knows what kind of trouble. And after letting us think he was all in at UF for some time and then going dirty dwag on us, I just really don't trust him. FTR, we don't appear to actually need this joker anyway - hard pass on character/legit need issues alone.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007

Spot on. OL is a greater need than RB for the reason you mentioned.

Current RB's
    Cam Carrol - Sr. (this is his last year)
    Johnson - Jr. (most likely his last year)

2024 RB Roster:
    Jakobi Jackson - Sr.
    ETN - Jr. (probably going pro after 2024 year)
    Webb - So
    Daniels - Fr

Another Fr RB would be nice to have but spots are limited. My guess is if Bowens wants in, he'll be in the class. Otherwise we'll hit the portal next year.

**Anyone else notice that 247 has Bowens as the #33 RB in the class? The other services have him #5, #8, #6.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I noticed that one (24/7) had Bowens really low.

What happened to UGA? Did he start looking around or did they drop him? What's going on? Why the renewed interest in Bowens?

I don't know if he's a fit for what Napier is building in Gainesville... unselfish players.

I like this one.

Kahnen Daniels - West Point - RB

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Technically , they can sign as many as they want in/by February. Need to be at 85 by fall semester.

but…from what I hear the coaches are not going to circle back with him - they did not appreciate the troll job he did. If a player decommits without being an ass to UF and the coaches, that is one thing. I imagine the coaches would still pursue. When players publicly troll UF, they seem to move on.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    they aint move on from Rod Kearney when he committed to FSU while on his OV to UF and said our coaches were fake so you never know lol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Take him from UGA if you can

• Like Like x 1
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    CBN doesn't seem to play around much. When he says he's all about integrity and team cohesion, he actually means it. To this point, anyone who wants to be part of this Gator program had better mean it too. Don't count too heavily on a problematic kid catching a mulligan on major character/commitment issues with this HC. To date, no knuckleheads, slackers or chronic wise guys need apply. And if some talented but troublesome "star" does make it in, I expect that he'll either get his act together, be shown the door, or leave on his own due to the fact that he just doesn't fit in at UF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  17. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Yes, he is a great back. Probably top 5 imo. Daniels was on Bamas radar too. We were after good ones.

18. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think UF has moved on and has Been Looking at other RB's

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  19. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I think Rod was more of a misunderstanding and a missed opportunity on the staff’s part during that visit.

I don’t know anything about the Bowen story. So can’t speculate on that. But I know we were not taking Cormani’s calls after he tried to get back in.

I say that, to say this …there is a line, that if it is crossed, it’s over. There can be mistakes or misunderstandings, but honesty & trust can’t be compromised. That’s my take anyway. As to how that translates to the Bowens situation… I don’t know

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I never know the true happenings behind these things and I doubt many do but I believe Bowens was quoted saying he knew he was going to Georgia a month or more before he did. I also saw where Napier and staff were talking to him on the field at a camp very shortly before his flip so it at least appears to have been a pretty disrespectful troll job. Who knows for sure though.

• Agree Agree x 4