Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Should The Gators Over-pay for Players?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If Texas has been spending 10-20 mil to make almost 300, is their math bad?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Your communication has a constant inference, as to my preference for mediocrity! You obviously misunderstood my last post. I raised the issue of how much money the bluebloods are spending for NIL deals. Although part of me struggles with the amount of money, I get why it is happening. Florida is a blue-blood program, and Steve Spurrier got us there! I don't want Florida to lose its football status due to NIL; but, so far, the inexperience with NIL has not been impressive. The answer is not for Gator Nation to chip its pesos into the pot, but to allocate TV revenue to NIL ( if that's legal?). These other schools are leading the charge, and GN needs to be aware of the trends. And, that was my motivation for posting that information!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry that I "assume" things (you know what that does;)). My efforts aren't to put anyone in their places, just to catch folk (assist really) who seem to talk themselves in circles. People may want to do the "damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!" approach that is so popular today. Others see it as throwing good money at bad ideas (unproven HS talent who are gaming the system, see Rashada). Until further notice, no one knows which is correct and which is misguided. But if you choose one side, you have to own the warts that will manifest. And that is pretty much my modus operandi.

And my final "proclamation" is mainly trying to get folks to realize that regardless which direction we want UF to go, it is pretty much a given that major college football WILL become a minor league to the NFL. And it WILL have to have the trappings like unionized players. It is what it is.

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Under current structure the ONLY option is for gator nation to chip in their pesos. That is the only allowable source for NIL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder, would it be allowable for GATOR Boosters to provide discounts of required contributions with the evidence of NIL contributions. Not saying whether or not they would want to do that, but would that potentially be a legal way to divert funds?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

6. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    That sounds about right! However, my daddy raised no fool! As I calculate the matter, the SEC is receiving billions in revenue and the players and coaches are making the show possible. However, advertisers and the TV audience ensures that everybody gets paid. As a result, (to keep the system fed and happy), the audience buys the TV, pays for the electricity, pays for the wifi and cable subscription, and, additionally, buys the products and keeps the advertising dollars flowing. Subsequently, the viewer's are subsidizing the games and the ads. Somewhere, someone(s), decided fans should pay, pay, pay, and then, pay; as well as a NIL contribution. All for the privilege of watching the games? Meanwhile, the schools pocket the cash! Anyone with half-a-brain understands UF's football program generates enough money to be self-sustaining. Yet, UF wants Gator fans to pay multiple times to view the games? Funny, that makes about as much sense as buying season tickets, flying from Charlotte, NC to the game destination, renting a car, paying for food and lodging, and including a monthly check to NIL! If that sounds as if I am doing too much, then, you get my drift!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Just keep kicking in more $$$$ when the hat comes around. It’ll never be enough though, because the price will always just keep going up, and up, and……………….

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  8. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  9. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Thanks for sharing! A very interesting read. This got me to thinking. Most players have a prescribed worth (maybe someone could enlighten us on how they come up with specific figures, besides just position and rating). No doubt a school looks at the prescribed worth and makes an offer.
    What this OP is about, who makes the decision to offer more than the prescribed amount? Some schools have been accused of taking ridiculous risks! But, is it a risk if you are already have a winning tradition?

10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, because technically NIL is supposed to be actaully for name, image, likeness....not for going to certain school. The NIL contract can't tie a player to a specific school, so diverted booster money wouldn't fly

• Like Like x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Couple of thoughts. One, my hope is that the market will somewhat self regulate and level out to a certain degree. But that only works if everyone plays along.....if one or two or ten schools are willing to pay they get the players. Second, UF could probably afford to pay players a reasonable amount...but bear in mind you can't pay football players and not pay lacrosse, swimming etc. And do you pay every athlete a flat rate? And can every school afford to pay every athlete in every sport? Does each school have discretion to pay whatever they want or does the number set the same everywhere?
    Finally, the NIL genie is out of the bottle. Every school could pay every athlete $100k a year and NIL would still exist. If Mr Texas oil man still wants to pay a kid $2M then there is no way to stop him. So then the school is paying AND they get NIL from the boosters.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No shit

• Like Like x 1
  13. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Many of us realize what the hell is going on in America! My intentions are not to make this a political post, but merely to say that CFB is mirroring the lawlessness of society. It's called another name, but I'll resist. Let's face it, there are few rules anymore. It's just a matter of time, and will the NCAA even have a reason to exist? In the US, where's our border? In CFB, where did the boundaries go? I perfectly understand why Saban retired! CFB has become a shambles, just like the US!!! Sadly, I don't know where either are going, and, frankly I'm glad my daddy isn't around to see this !@#$%!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm not against the concept of subsidizing players. Realistically, NIL and the transfer portal need structure. If a player gets his pants in a wad, or if he hears there's more money to be made, or if the prospect of winning is better elsewhere, he's gone! CFB needs a correction! I seriously don't think it will.

15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    My guess:
    [​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its old, but is it really that much older than most of the college stadiums? Most have been hodge podge add-ons over the years like BHG stadium.

17. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Repairs to an existing facility doesn't trigger certain code compliance, renovations do.

The first thing I heard out of Stricklin's mouth was "we NEED aisle widening and handrails" (at a cost of almost 3K seats) which is untrue unless seating renovations are planned to occur.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Lol. Florida is not a blue blood. Just stop.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Until Spurrier, Florida was not. In the 90's, that changed. Three National championships, three Heismans, and 8 SEC championships puts us there. If they can say FSU is, certainly UF belongs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    No. FSU isn't either. There are only a handful of blue blood programs. Blue blood implies a long history of success, not recent success. I'd say a winning percentage around the 70% range puts a school in that category. Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma. Florida schools are nouveau riche, not blue bloods.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1