Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Should The Gators Over-pay for Players?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Jan 21, 2024.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    $1-1.2 was a ballpark number I heard

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. That is why I keep citing Stricklin's words here--NIL and stadium funding are not related topics. NIL funding is not paying for the $400M+ stadium upgrades. The money going into the stadium comes from different sources than NIL. The fact that we are on page 6 of a thread discussing NIL and stadium upgrades is what drives me to continue posting here. The takeaway is that the stadium has very little (almost nothing) to do with overpaying or underpaying players. We as fans do not have to worry about ADA compliance unless we happen to be bidding on that contract request for proposals. No matter what UF does, it has to care about ADA compliance because some of the must-do repairs (mostly leaks) cannot be made without bringing them up to ADA-compliant code.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Downsizing" isn't the goal/aim. It could and likely will be the end result of the need to upgrade and modernize certain facets of the stadium. These boards have been screaming for years for a lot of these enhancements...chairbacks or wider seats, better video boards, better concessions, easier egress thru the stadium, better restrooms, etc. Now that we address many of the needs people seem to focus on the negative of losing some seats

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    If just 1% of the fans donated $10/month to NIL, that would be over $7M/year. From 1 stinking percent. Perhaps the NIL group should start a mailer for contributions.

put classrooms in it and get State funding like f$u did with the erector set expansion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    This whole thing is absurd. If I have any extra cash to donate each month I would give to WW or T to T.

6. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Chattanooga
    Uncharted territory right now. Fans all want us to just spend money. But team chemistry needs to be considered in this situation. Paying a bunch of mercenaries isn’t going to create a great locker room. Ideally I’d like us to get a reputation of taking care of our own players. And high character recruits might gravitate to that type of culture. Can you overpay for a portal guy and not affect the locker room? Guess it remains to be seen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sometimes spending more upfront is better longterm. While I love the old Swamp, it’s very dated. It is a business and it takes profits to be the best.

8. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Yes, spending more on facilities doesn't improve the football teams performance, and it doesn't matter what color their uniforms are, either! Also, BN wants character guys, and I don't oppose that! However, Meyer, first and foremost, wanted talent--and we know where that got us. Yes, Meyer had players with character issues (a ton of arrests)--but it also produced wins and natties!!! Billy Joel sang, "Only the Good Die Young," and he had a point! I forget how many arrests players had on Meyer teams (39?), but ...

9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Team chemistry doesn't mean much to the players these days. It's a different dynamic for this generation.
    We are talking about guys whose friendships are social media based. Guys that have grown up on travel ball teams. They might be playing on 3 or 4 teams in a season during their high school days.
    We have to stop applying 20th century thinking to this generation.

I have a client who's son plays travel baseball. He gets invited to guest play for a team for a weekend tournament around the country all the time. He is eleven years old and probably plays on different team twice a month on top of his home team.

Coaches have to be putting the best team together possible year to year.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    hopefully
    Hopefully the school is 100% in or the rest doesn’t matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Team chemistry, always matters. they might not be best buddies or anything like that, but if they don’t like each other, it will affect the team,

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Nothing wrong with your take, just that I believe the UAA is correctly waiting to see the results of the NIL mess to actual achievement rather than be another cow in the herd. Remember, the ultimate goal is to compete for championships rather than look good in the "Close-But-No-Cigar" bowl game. NIL is too young to know whether those who are on the "bleeding edge" are correct or mainly misguided.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Anyone giving hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars to unproven high school kids in order to lure them to their favorite school is most definitely misguided. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll stop though. I thought you would have started to see the bottom fall out already, when these guys watched loads of their money sit on the bench and transfer to other teams. So far it’s still getting worse. NFL scouts have way more info to work with and they still strike out at a high rate.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Couldn't agree more. I think we'll have to see how the NIL will evolve/devolve. During the beginning of baseball free agency, many teams bought players left and right, but the foundation remained the home-grown talent.

15. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This ranks right up there with "Category 5 Hurricane is Right Off the Florida Coast". It is news, but it isn't good news.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Team chemistry absolutely matters, and it is why BN is very intentional about it! Any coach manager, CEO, etc is foolish not to
    develop a winning/successful culture!

18. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    The entire reason I started this post was because the price of CFB is astronomically rising! Some schools, like Ohio State, are well ahead of most other schools! Right now, CFB is on the cusp of $15 million annually! That's what some are shelling out because they have the money to spend; others may be just trying to stay competitive. None of us understands where this is headed, but having a really good coach at the helm is imperative! Do I even need to say that NIL is becoming so complex, good luck being able to keep up with it! The rich are going to get richer!!! If Ohio State's coach wants to spend 13 million, others going to exceed that amount! Where do you see this going GN, because this is rapidly becoming insane?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Too bad they can’t use the 100’s of millions we common fans are generating for the schools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may help (even though I have as much insight as you), once you spend like a drunken sailor, you end up eventually BEING as rich as a drunken sailor. No one knows where all this is going to end, but if it doesn't end with an unvarnished minor league system with a commissioner, standardized reffing, and a players' union, the elite wannabes (and in your case, want-to-maintain) WILL find themselves bankrupt. Either financially, morally, or both.

Does this make you feel somewhat better?

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1