Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shots fired at Trump during rally

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Jul 13, 2024.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Y'all are just now figuring this stuff out. It has been going on for years. I have pointed out several times if you go to any of the fact checkers and put in Donald Trump you get a ton of results. You put in Joe Biden's name and you are lucky to get what you are searching for. If you go on YouTube you get a bunch of Kamala adds. I still have an old AOL email account that I have never closed out because I still get mail from time to time. Try logging on to AOL the news feed is constant anti Trump pro Biden/Kamala crap. That's just the way social media is now days.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    "Trump launches Border Czar Attacks" doesn't sound pro-Harris

3. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't see that one but I now see one from Fox, so that's one.:)

4. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Try "assassination attempt steve s" and see if it autocompletes with scalise.

Edit: Other than Trump which of the others you listed have actually had attempts?

5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At some point, they will move from gross negligence to possible collusion.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No one on this board knows.

7. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Doesn't matter, because that's not how predictive autofill works. If you type out "Assassination attempt Bide" it would normally fill in the N. Doesn't matter if it's happened or not. Clearly there is some kind of programming preventing it. And that's exactly what Google said.

Try Gabby Gifford

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Not sure that shooting qualifies as an assassination attempt. He was not specifically targeted just a nut with a gun and a grievance. Try googling Congressional baseball shooting and lots of info pops up.

9. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's beside the point. The question here is whether or not Google has a double standard for what gets autofilled and what doesn't. If "Joe Bide" hasn't had an attempt on his life then using his name doesn't answer that question. To be fair, as @ursidman pointed out, the Steven Scalise thing doesn't actually answer the question either and wouldn't even if he had been the specific target because, imo, it was too long ago. IMO, Gabby Gifford was too long ago too which is why I didn't mention it.

I think it's plausible that Google doesn't/didn't want to give people ideas by suggesting that as a search but I also think that their credibility is so low on political issues that they're not going to get the benefit of the doubt here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    It doesn't have to had happen for Google to autofill it. It's predictive and based on millions of searches. You can type random shit thats never happened and it will still predict Biden or Trump. For example I just thought of two incredibly random things to see if it would autofill.

Green Olive Pizza Trump
    Green Olive Pizza Biden
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones Biden
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones Trump

Both autofilled the name at the end. It seems that Google just has an autofill block on recent/active politicians when it comes to violence.

11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    What pic is that? I can’t tell. Is that when he got hit in the ear with shrapnel?

13. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, "it seems" that way to you. What your argument doesn't/can't address is whether Google would've given Trump and Biden the same treatment before the attempt on Trump or whether it would give Trump and Harris the same treatment if there were an attempt on Harris. You're assuming that they would but you don't actually know. If you want to give Google the benefit of the doubt here that's not an unreasonable position but, short of publishing their source code, you can't actually prove their innocence. Ultimately, this isn't about the attempt on Trump, even if Google is completely on the level in this particular situation the reason we're even having this discussion is because they're not trusted. If they were trusted then people wouldn't be so quick to believe the worst about them.

14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    43A9B21F-2266-4EC8-90E9-4D73C09E68E5.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So, now since right wing snowflakes arent the victim of a left wing assassination attempt (shooter was a republican) they are now victims of GOOGLE?

If you werent offended by everything Id think someone hacked your account.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    CNN coverage of FBI testimony says the shooter probably made anti-immigration and antisemitic posts online ... can't really link it directly because it connects to their live blog of FBI testimony. www.cnn.com

But that seems to solidify that he was just another right wing nut job with an AR 15.

It's honestly been a relief, because if he was anything other than a white, male, conservative, republican, ammosexual, this place would be unbearable.

On that account, “there were over 700 comments,” Abbate said, which, “if ultimately attributable to the shooter, appear to reflect antisemitic and anti-immigration themes, to espouse political violence, and are described as extreme in nature.”

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    What are you talking about LOL?!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2024
  18. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Local police officer likely saved lives at Trump rally. This makes one wonder if the SS was operating under the “let them take a few shots” instruction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/07/30/trump-rally-local-officer-shot/

“Thomas Matthew Crooks paused shooting at former president Donald Trump after a local law enforcement officer assigned to a SWAT team returned fire, and Crooks did not shoot again before he was killed by a Secret Service countersniper, according to two officials familiar with the investigation into the assassination attempt.

The shot from the local officer caused the would-be assassin to temporarily recoil from his perch on a rooftop, according to the two officials and a Washington Post analysis of video evidence. Crooks’s retreat coincided with a 10-second pause in shooting, according to audio experts who examined the gunshots, a critical period that ended when the Secret Service countersniper shot and killed him.”

19. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    I saw that earlier today .... simply amazing the USSS missed that!! The USSS had to be following "instructions" not to immediately engage any possible threat .... they were likely told "just let it play out to see what happens".

Trump would be dead if not for one local LEO shooting at and interrupting Crooks.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1