Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shots fired at Trump during rally

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Jul 13, 2024.

1. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    He was wearing a gun nut/explosive nut t-shirt. Then he got killed while trying to assassinate the president with an AR-15. Then they found a bunch of explosives in his car. In what world is that not a gun nut?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    I don’t think it was political (or at least nothing we’ve seen thus far suggests that). I think he was just a nut job who tried to kill the president for whatever weird reason. Similar to Reagan.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Hey now! let’s not get ahead of our selves. Trump is up in poll but not the president. At most Biden made him VP the other day.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I tend to lean this way too. I think he may well have been into the Cult of Donny, and maybe something Trump said or did hurt his feelings, and like a jilted lover, decided to get revenge.

Just a wag on my part.

5. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    It was a 123 yard shot. I'm not a military sniper but either this guy can't shoot or his rifle isn't sighted. No way he's even mildly into guns, which is lucky for all of us regardless of how you feel about trump.

This is likely a mentally unwell kid who just wanted to piss everyone he knows off and got extremely lucky the secret service was providing the same level of security as the tj maxx loss prevention. If he's in trump country that's an obvious target.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Not that this kid’s ideology matters one bit, but for something to count as evidence for a claim, there must exist an alternative that counts as evidence against the claim. If a right wing associated shirt indicates evidence of a left wing association, what wouldn’t count as evidence for that claim? Does his $15 donation to a left wing cause count as evidence for a right wing association?

I think we’re best not reading too much into a T shirt, especially when it’s a pro gun T shirt found on a gunman.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I thought that a strong possibility, esp if it was an older right wing “gentleman”. Trump panders to rw extremists, but there’s a small % he pisses off. Recently he pissed some off going “soft” on a national abortion ban. So he’s constantly playing with fire with that trash.

With it being a kid, most likely he was just deranged from social media. With him being described as a social outcast it was probably more of a “going out in a blaze of glory” type suicide mission. Like a school shooter. He definitely gives that vibe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Not even mildly into guns? Because he only managed to knock off the president’s ear lobe? Was he only mildly into the explosives that they found in his car? Just a coincidence he was wearing a gun/explosive enthusiast t-shirt to his assassination attempt? Are you being facetious?

9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Well he was unwell for sure but a 123 yards isnt an easy shot on a roof, no cover, with a moving target, heart beating cuz he’s about to shoot someone. Was pretty darn accurate considering. Thats from one endzone line to the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know plenty of [insert sport] fans that can’t even come close to playing the sport without embarrassing themselves. I suppose their ability to engage in said sport is indicative of their interest in your mind?

Anecdotally one of my cousins is a massive gun fan. His wife picked up a pistol without ever firing one before and outshot him easily. Guess she was a bigger gun enthusiast than he was…

11. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nah, it’s totally the same as firing at a piece of paper at the gun range.

12. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    He is a nut but not what I think of as a gun nut. Most of these kids don't own but the one gun they just bought and get their training from video games. A gun nut in my definition is someone who collects all types of guns and is probably a member of the local gun range. My guess is this is a kid with mental problems that got a rifle but is not likely a collector or regular shooter of guns as a hobby.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That wasnt my point. I was pointing out the both sides are doing exactly what he was accusing only one side of.

No one os questioning that he was a registered Republican.

14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Well unfortunately we just need to get over it and move forward. Says so about half way through it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Bingo. Plenty of old farts that play golf everyday that probably never broke 80 in their lives.

Being a “nut” and having skill are not necessarily connected things.

I’m sure many meal team 6 members would be among the first to die in this civil war they long for. Being unaware of this is kind of a big part of them being… well… nutz.

16. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    At 123 yards you shoot for center mass with a high caliber round. Trump is 6'3" and 220 lbs. Moving his head and arms, but at the sternum level there's not much movement there. It's not a hard shot. If he was out for his morning jog you'd have a point. The hard part was making it to the point where you pull the trigger in that situation.

Again I'll say I bet the guy was a bullied teenager who wanted to make his bullies sad and be famous. If all your bullies drive around with trump bumper stickers and he happens to come, it's a great setup to do just that. Luckily he's not good at shooting. Well, wasn't good at shooting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    6’3 220? lol

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't care. Continue with your histrionics and hypocrisy.

19. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    "There were good people on both sides today."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    This whole thing reminds me of the Gunsmoke episode "Eliab's Aim" where Festus' nephew Eliab is following Festus around trying to shoot off a piece of his ear.