Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Shane Matthews Covers A Lot of Stuff

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tommyvee, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But when you make 10 mil a year, they will still pretend to like you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Mertz just does not have the same ability to scramble and extend plays that DJL has. Seems DJL can throw accurate rockets on the run too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Sad, but true.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mertz is not a bad qb he’s just a guy and probably doesn’t deserve all the vitriol he’s received. He did lay a giant egg against Miami though and brought a lot of this on himself. The truth is in order for this average team to win we need elite qb play. We got that last week. Now can Lagway maintain his play in this brutal season? Hard to say. If he is he’s going to have to become a running threat to open up his passing lanes. So far his ability to escape and take off is nothing spectacular.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Immobile qbs can win games but they need protection. Mertz cannot reach his potential getting bum rushed every down. DJ can at least extend the play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    He probably makes more money than Purdy’s 49er salary too :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gators1994

gators1994 Freshman

Sep 10, 2024
    Watching the GNFP you realize just how god-awful our offensive line is…Samford was pushing our guys 3-4 yards in the backfield every play. I can’t imagine how bad it’s going to get…I know we play teams that have similar (or better) defensive lines to Miami. Mertz may get knocked out again. I feel for the guy…he’s doing his best.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Heard something that resonated with me as we all think Mertz is a good leader, came back for his 6th year, gave us his all, and shouldn’t be benched because of injury, etc.

The quote was “Mertz didn’t lose the starting job, Lagway just won it based on his play.”

That makes sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Me too and he didn’t do anything to keep his job before he got hurt. If he were running the 96 gator offense, he may look pretty dang good but playing with a continuously collapsing pocket is not his strength. I think DJ is the better qb but more importantly ,DJ has the tools to deal with bad line play much more so than Mertz.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bornagator420

bornagator420 Recruit

Sep 1, 2024
    Indiana
    I think I remember hearing back when he was here, that Trask wasn't a great practice player either, but turned it on at gametime.

11. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    That’s what we assumed, but I think what came out afterwards from some of our players was that they didn’t know why Mullen started Franks over Trask based on practice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. allendoc

allendoc GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    I suspect Lane's Agent would be the one saying this, enough to get Ole Miss to give an even bigger extension this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Just a reminder how much Shane was against urban Meyer and his offense. He was adamant it wouldn't work here or in the SEC. He has also made a lot of endorsements of failed coaches, before they failed of course. He knows more about football than I do but he can't seem to make objective takes on florida football in my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Shane is pretty adamant about UF always have been Lane’s dream job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. sjgator

sjgator Junior

Dec 20, 2013
    He was banned by Meyer saying he hurt our recruiting

• Informative Informative x 4
  16. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    That part I forgot about

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I don't think Mertz has received any vitriol here, or from Gator fans in general for that matter. Almost everyone here says that they like Mertz, that he is a very good leader, is respected by his team mates, has worked harder than anyone on the team from day one, was efficient and accurate last year in short and medium throws, and is appreciated for coming in and doing a much better job than anyone expected. Most also understand that he also laid his body on the line for a crucial first down last year and suffered a season-ending injury for his dedication. Everyone knows he didn't play a good game against Miami, but most also understand that he did have his bell rung multiple times to the point of concussion due to OL breakdowns.

What people are saying is that now we have the QB of the future onboard, and the discussion is about how soon he should take the reigns, with most leaning towards very soon. They are also saying that Mertz has obvious limitations in the scrambling and downfield passing areas compared to DJ. There's no vitriol. This is about people favoring DJ's special skills when we desperately need to start winning consistently, not fans trashing Graham. That isn't happening.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    ask him for investing advice…

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 7:57 AM
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Thank you for that moment of clarity and factual insight. Well said.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Meyer preached loyalty. Do as I say, not as I do...

[​IMG]

“I love loyalty,” he said.

And nobody has been more loyal to the former players than Meyer. He started the barbecue to bring back former players two weeks before the season, the champions dinner on Homecoming. The $30 million facility that is the new front door for the football program is focused on the players who left their mark on the program.

If you go after my family in any way, if you get personal with a player or you hurt recruiting, you’ve crossed the line,” Meyer said. “That’s my whole life — my family, the players and recruiting. I hear things. Things get back to me. I really don’t care if you want to criticize me. If you want to criticize the punting or kicking or dig routes or running up the score, I don’t care. Criticize me as a coach, I don’t care. That’s athletics. That’s journalism. But you go after my family, a player or hurt recruiting, you’re not invited in here.

Meyer, Matthews saga blown way out of proportion