Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SEEN ENOUGH!!!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Sep 1, 2024.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Nah I don't see it that way. I argued in favor of giving Napier this year to several who used his record over his first two years as an indictment of him as a failure especially against those who keep pining for Mullen. They continued to disregard the losing trend Mullen had including a massively depleted roster while only remembering his mostly successful first 2 years and I supported napier as a coach who had to clean up that mess while also navigating changes to NIL, the portal and upgrading facilities/operations. The argument was always that he owned what happens this year as he continued to heap praise on his new roster which is almost entirely his own creation now. The OP was often filling dead space with threads during the offseason with positive pieces.

FTR I was in the optimistic camp but I also didn't visit several of those threads because talk is cheap and while I was very hopeful for many reasons, I was also in the camp that believed its time to put up or shut up.

There were simply too many of the same issues on Saturday that have pervaded his tenure here for it to be a one-off bad game. I saw improved tackling, linebacker play and special teams. That's it. Offensive line bad. Defensive line bad. Secondary miscommunications. Mertz regressed, significantly which flies in the face of all of the reports in preseason he made the 2nd year jump. Wilson poorly utilized. Tight ends almost completely absent. Still running on 3rd and long. Still costly drive extending turnovers. No halftime adjustments. No answer to a pass rush. Playing like we were the road team and letting the game be dictated to us.

One or two rusty issues is understandable after an off season and first game jitters but when Napier says he feels strongly they were better prepared for this game and then you have ALL of those issues and then some, that is damning of the systems in place.

I like to think I've been pretty measured on my opinions. I want nothing more than for him to succeed just like I did for Mike White who also exhibited multiple seasons having the same unresolved issues. I wanted every single coach we had to succeed and yet when it became obvious they were flawed I wanted a chance at doing what was best for the program.

Edit to add: cam ward is certainly a capable qb but he turns the ball over readily with any pressure. We couldn't apply any which is a credit to miamis line but keep in mind this defense couldn't get off the field at home against Charlotte last year either. Yet another perennial issue not even close to improved.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Get lost troll.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Pay attention, young man! I already told you he said UF was his dream job. Other journalists have confirmed it. I don't have a recording, or I'd play it for you.

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Senior

Jan 10, 2014
    North Mississippi
    So…no evidence at all? Got it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Congratulations, you wrote another book about nothing!!!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Ha, at least I gave us something to talk about besides fire Billy. And you slowed down on your negativity for a while. Carry on my wayward son!

• Like Like x 2
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I had a feeling after the interception that if we didn't get a tying TD the game was over. Never in my wildest dreams did I foresee Florida getting routed at HOME by a mid-tier coach and program..... I am now firmly in the Napier has to go camp. That was probably the most embarrassing loss outside of Muschamp losing to GSU, but at least Muschamp had to use band-aids for players. There's ZERO excuse letting Crisobal with a new QB in his 1st game wreck you like that....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Wow, you were paying attention!

9. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Exactly! Frankly, I am surprised BN still has a job. At home with a sellout crowd, with the number 12 squad in the Country, and you have an embarrassing loss like that? The scary part, he could salvage the season and go 6-6, and still be the coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I just have no words, you said it perfectly. I'm embarrassed I pushed so much support on him against posters that saw exactly what he is. A terrible HC with no fire or passion and refuses to change. It just blows my mind we keep hiring HC's that absolutely hate their job of winning FB games. Plus I just watched a video of Canes players going to the recruits in the stands and blasting UF. They threw salt in every gaping wound CBN opened up. But after Sat do we beat anybody left on the schedule? I'm honestly worried about Samford now, tbh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    A
    And if shane knows what he’s talking about, that means Napier is completely clueless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Numb
    er 12 squad is so misleading. Sure it’s adds. Up that way but football isn’t an equation. If you have 12 5* qb’s , that’s the highest ranked team in the country? We have no lines .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    The most telling thing that indicates BN is done is an observation from around the country. Every other team including Arkansas, beats their "Samfords" by a score of 49-0 or 60-3 or something. When we beat Samford next weekend 24-10, it's going to be "Hats off to Samford, they are a good team" from Napier.

That kind of shitty attitude toward not having a killer instinct is not something he possesses. The "process" clouds everything and gives him an excuse for not being creative.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Doesn't seem like nothing to me. What happened Saturday was bad enough to change your mind, and you've posted almost non stop all summer with great optimism and many, many exclamation points. And though none of us would have believed it even a week ago, a single game was enough to unify the board for the first time in a long time. So your needless dismissal aside, I think it's noteworthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Maybe he is playing chess on the Sanford level and he can out talent those guys.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Urban was very offensive minded. His teams at Utah were genius. That's what caught the nation's (and our) attention. His offense struggled two years here, but that was a matter of fit (pro style qb trying to run spread o). The fact that his D's and ST's were excellent was product of his perfectionism, and the fact that those are intellectually less challenging and more fundamental/basic. That oughtn't to serve to suggest he isn't "offe e minded". His o's, when they were hitting, rewrote our record books.

Fwiw.

17. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    To be fair, his recruiting and portal transfers had been praised pretty consistently this offseason and everyone agreed this was his most talented roster and likely the best in years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Honestly believe he can't think fast enough so he relies so heavily on "processes." It's why we lose every 3rd quarter. It's why we never outscheme an opponent with time off before a game. I honestly believe if Utah had any game film on us for his debut against Utah they would have smoked us. We let a team with a stopgap backup qb that had little to no experience throw a td bomb on their first play of the game at Utah. We let Charlotte bore our homecrowd to sleep with ball control offense. The dude just knows simplicity and believes perfect execution will overcome any scheme. Good luck with that especially considering you aren't out talenting anyone.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Spurrier and Saban face planted in the NFL.

Just not a very convincing metric

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Urban as you said was an all phases coach which is how he won but he wasn't known as an offensive coach. His offense was unique but he was a very conservative offense most of the time which is why he liked the run heavy spread option offense which focused on forcing conflict but also was huge on ball security. I was in Utah for his stint there and granted it was a snow game but he literally ran his qb 6 or 7 straight times to the crowds displeasure. It was a really low scoring game and to his credit he knew the snow was the biggest factor at that time so he did what he did to win the game.