Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SCOTUS kills Biden's student loan/debt relief plan...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 30, 2023.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not a fan of the outcome/result, though again I think SCOTUS may be legally correct, I think congress should look at a debt relief plan... Or force government schools to stop running kids into debt.

Maybe its my station in life as a dad of a college student, but I think its insane what the costs have become. The profit margins off of housing are insane. 4 kids crammed into a glorified hotel suite for the cost of renting a 4 bedroom house off campus? (Freshman are often required to live on campus which is stupid.)

It's like health care/insurance.

Just up the price, the student aid will cover it anyway. Future debt load on the student be damned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Probably the right legal result. As with so many other things, Congress should do its job on many of these things that have been the subject of all of these EO’s and stop leaving it to the other 2 branches of government to sort out

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    In the current world, indeed this is a huge problem, but this just pushes the question one bit down the road: why not have “metaschools” where paid adults just keep an eye on a bunch of kids doing online learning?

4. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Perfect example right here. First reply to the thread out of the gate is Trump and tax cuts. Nothing at all to do with student loan debt forgiveness.

THIS IS WHAT THEY DO. They know they're losing and they want to immediately pivot to the easiest target known to man (Trump) and blame a totally unrelated conservative policy.

Keep them on topic. The bottom line is it's unconstitutional to bypass Congress to forgive $400 billion in debt by executive order.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. sflagator

sflagator VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a surprising decision to me. The Dems had the chance to legislate loan forgiveness but pussed out, fearful for the boomer-aged "undecided" voter. So instead they (once again) tried to use executive rule-making authority to do what they should have legislated.

I'm personally really skeptical of executive branch overreach through rule-making authority, which was a Nixon-era idea that really gained steam under Clinton and GWB, then got abused to death under Obama and Trump.

The loan industry was always a grift: Guaranteed loans --> increased borrowing power --> schools raising tuition to match that borrowing power without justification --> unpayable loans burdening students. There's ample reason to pursue loan forgiveness. But the dems should have solved this problem the correct way by legislation when they had the chance.

• Winner Winner x 4
  6. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Both houses of Congress passed legislation to block Biden's student loan debt forgiveness program.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I am shocked that a certain moderator isn’t here to publicly chastise them for whataboutism and being off topic…
    Oh wait no I’m not. That seems to saved for the right leaning posters who do it…

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Do progressives?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Asking the 87% who didn't run up the debt to pay for the 13% who did is disastrous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    The whataboutisms are not even analogous. It's like they're so angry and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind in a rush to derail the thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 2
  12. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Exactly. That which gets rewarded gets repeated.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The group of people who are saddled with student debt might be the only group of people in the country who have not been bailed out in the last 15 years. We might as well help out these folks, and then figure out where to go from there.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Especially when many of the 87% repaid their own student loans according to the contract they signed. There already exists a way to have student loans "forgiven." It's called bankruptcy.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Glad SCOTUS overturned this. This seemed like an egregious overreach to me. It was terrible policy and terrible politics.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    To build on this, there are many excesses in the universities today, which naturally drive up the cost for education. It is big business. The government catered to this model by continuing to guarantee loans on a non-tangible asset, which was undergoing exorbitant inflation of cost year after year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    That's the institution being greedy. Online, once established should decrease cost and increase access.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    • Agree Agree x 2