Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SCOTUS kills Biden's student loan/debt relief plan...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 30, 2023.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I am willing to do a one-time loan forgiveness for student loans. Complete and full. The only condition being that the federal government never again backs a single student loan. And never again forgives a student loan. Wipe the slate clean, fine. But don't loan anymore money under the protection of the federal government.

If those terms aren't agreeable, then I 100% disagree with giving a single dollar of my taxes to student loan forgiveness.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Don’t ever do anything once and expect that you won’t have to do it again.
    Especially when you’re dealing with the mafia, I meant government.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    And there it is. The 4th non-republican constituency to take the shiv this week.

SCOTUS is now a fully weaponized arm of the GQP as designed by the Federalist Society.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    This is true. I’d suggest though that at this point in our society, going to college is something virtually everyone should do and preferably without working a full time job at the same time. If everyone did this, the difference in debt accrued would be a function of the 1) the cost of the college and 2) the ability of their family to pay for it.

This isn’t to say that the federal government should be paying for everyone’s debt, but the existence of debt isn’t simply a function of the individual student lacking fiscal responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    The offer would never be accepted by either side. It was a tongue in cheek offer.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There is already a law on the books that gives the executive branch the ability to forgive or modify student loans during times of a national emergency ... passed by Bush and the republican congress in 2003 ... Trump declared a national emergency in 2020. This is pure politics. No legal justification.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    making higher ed unaffordable is a BI-partisan effort. I don't see how loan forgiveness lowers the cost.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I would argue that we are advanced enough as a society that most education can be learned online.
    And business should change their model and look for the self learners.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    But the “generational damage”.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. reboundgtr

reboundgtr VIP Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Jawja
    I would say the institutions that jack up tuition to reap the rewards of the predatory lenders.

• Like Like x 1
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Almost the same. I'm against forgiveness but I'm not against looking at adjusting terms whatever that may mean. In the past my wife's interest was as high as almost 8%. Terms of her PT program changed and the cost of her program went up $2500 per semester by the end of her program. Undergrad at UNC masters at Kentucky. Realized the ceiling on her earning potential was absurd and then went to PT at an accredited private and accelerated school that required her to do a residency out of state for 3 months so there goes double rent.

PT changed to a doctorate program but reimbursement rates haven't improved so the earning potential hasn't changed much since it did. Costs for an apartment have doubled in Jacksonville since she became a PT and if we didn't get married and buy a house she would just be getting by with her one job with little to nothing for a retirement.

She is passionate about her work and often has to battle insurance companies to get them to pay for wheel chairs for patients in dire need for them. She works with neuro injuries and helps stroke patients and spinal cord injury patients. Should she be relegated to making 30 to 40k working 60 plus hour weeks like she was at Stetson or Kennesaw because she only realized once in the real world how limited her field of work was?

None of that is a pity me story. Only an example of how things evolve. Borrow money pay it back is so oversimplified. Maybe Bluke can elaborate how it isn't instead of smattering emojis with no contribution to discussion.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    If my son was 18 I'd advise him into an electrical or plumbing apprenticeship. And I'm a teacher.

This whole myth that "everyone" should go to college got us here in the first place. Some kids shouldn't go to college. Some kids should learn a trade. Feelings be damned.

Now, some kids should go to college but can't afford it. Give them help. But we need to stop telling kids that you can't get a good career if you don't go to college.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  14. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great news. The bottom line is any student who takes out a loan does so willingly and if you borrow money, you pay it back. The American people shouldn’t be required to bail out anyone who makes a bad financial decision.

A college education is a choice and there are many affordable options for any student to get a degree. If someone instead opts to go to a more expensive school than he or she can afford and/or chooses to pursue a degree that will not be lucrative enough to pay the debt accrued, then that is 100% on them and is their sole responsibility to pay the loan back.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I added the “virtually” in there as a qualifier, because of course we have interindividual variation. I am not trying to set people’s preferences. However, most people prefer making solid money, and 2023 is simply different than 1950 in terms of what kind of jobs are reliably high paying.

16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Kind of like a certain irresponsible real estate developer who declared bankruptcy at least six times.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    I guess but when my pipes burst I'm paying $100/hr to have them fixed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s possible. I think the current data suggests that online education doesn’t lead to the same learning gains though. Regardless, there must be some stumbling block or one would assume that we’d already be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    The stumbling block, at least for K-12, is that someone has to stay home with the kids if they do school virtually.

Different, of course, than post secondary.

20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Interesting you mention this. The Doctorate program of PT at USA has gone up substantially despite moving much of it to online work. And while private schools can be scams there are some accredited and respected programs that aren't. The alternative was 2 more years of curriculum to go to UCF despite having a masters in some physiology field.

I'm not stalking your posts by the way. This one just struck me because we had a recent conversation about this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1