Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

SCOTUS kills Biden's student loan/debt relief plan...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    But yet you don't grasp that throughout their lifetime, they will make more than those who didn't go to college.

Those with a Bachelor's degree make 84% more than those with only a high school diploma and will make on average $1.2M more over a lifetime.

So, in all honesty, those without the college degree will take more from the government over a lifetime in terms of assistance and will not be paying it back, but those with the debt will at least make much higher wages over a lifetime and have the means to pay it back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, debt with literally no way of getting rid of it. An innovation of the 19th century undone. Let me know when you stop allowing business owners who failed, people with medical debt, people who ran up too much credit card debt, or any other form of debt stop getting rid of that debt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Problem: Republicans will do the opposite, and then people like 96 will blame the victims.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. thecoastalman

thecoastalman Sophomore

Jun 30, 2023
    Little bit of a difference there. Last time I checked state governments forced businesses, particularly small businesses, to close during COVID. Yet big companies with big lobbyists and big pockets like Walmart and Home Depot were able to stay open. State government were literally picking winners and losers which they should never have the power to do.

No one is forcing these kids to get student loans. Get a job, maybe even one that offers educational reimbursement or will fully pay for your education. Heck consider a trade school, we need far more kids to consider trade schools.

I went to college and worked full time both during the summer and during classes. Went to a local university, stayed home. Yes I sacrificed the traditional college life and didn't get to live in a dorm or live with a fraternity. But I graduated with only a little bit of debt and paid it off. And this was in 2007, not recent but were not talking 40 or 50 years ago either.

I was able to make it work and pay off my loans. They took out the loans knowing they had to be paid back, time to start paying it back. Sorry but I don't have a lot of sympathy for them and the situation between student loans and the COVID loans are very different.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. thecoastalman

thecoastalman Sophomore

Jun 30, 2023
    Very true. I think we need to go after the predatory education lenders myself, but neither party will do it. Democrats will continue to try to figure out a way to do full loan or at least partial loan forgiveness and Republicans won't bother to do anything.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I grasp it just fine.
    If they make more money they can pay their own debt off. It doesn't need to be forgiven.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Here come the cavemen thinkers in force. I did it way back when so they can too derp derp derp

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    you are thinking of someone else, I rarely post over here anymore.

The only thing I'm against is debt forgiveness. They should do something about the cost, its entirely become bloated.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yep, let's make sure that they don't buy houses or start saving for retirement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    He said the words @antny1

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    yeah of course trump latched on to us not wanting to pay our debts. We were running a deficit of $ 1T a year under dear leader. That was before his botched response to covid.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    But again, debt forgiveness is wrong but nuanced discussion about it isn't. Kids don't always understand unsubsidized loans accrue interest immediately or don't realize a private program in an accredited program can change fees at any time once committed to a program or that curriculum expansion and degree changes don't correlate with ROI. Or that some programs don't allow you to work a job while in them.

Should only rich kids have access to certain doctorate programs?

Just asking because I know you work with athletes, are you a PT or athletic trainer? Just curious.

Edit: maybe I'm mistaken but I thought you post often regarding NIL in swampgas.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    It sounds like they do have the authority to alter current borrowers circumstances.

14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    If you take out a loan that is on you. Let's make it harder for them to do so blindly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. shaun10

shaun10 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Do conservatives set the price for a college education?

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I have my own personal training business.
    Yes I discuss NIL and I'm all for it.

How does blanket debt forgiveness relate?

The topics in your post should be what is changed not just blanket debt relief. Where does it end, do we just write off debt every few years?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I would like to see a deeper dive on those statistics, just for my own edification. That’s learning for those that espouse it. :). Look at family finances growing up, etc. Does it separate once more into haves and have nots? Are there other trends in the data as well as degree types.

And I was against the loan forgiveness as well as the Tax cuts.

18. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    We can't talk about the topic at hand and discuss alternatives? Level the playing field. My wife is against blanket forgiveness and she has soul crushing debt but she can give insight to how complex the issue was. It's not simply borrow money pay it back. I've gone on about it ad nauseum in the past but too many times all people here is give me money.

This narrative that kids in debt are only the ones that lived in expensive apartments, ate out at restaurants and got worthless degrees is a red herring. Sure it happens and they shouldn't be forgiven of debt but there is a world of nuance in between and changes to the system would benefit the country as a whole with a productive workforce and strong consumer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    What confuses me most is all these institutions can at any time offer free and/or discounted educations to whomever they wish. Why is it they cannot separate themselves from the same money they insist others pay ? Want an inexpensive PhD program. Offer it. You don’t need bubba to vote for that. It’s the same Argument over k-12 education . If it’s important to the municipalities and constituents then vote for it and fund it. Don’t need a single republican vote in these cities… then you Can demonstrate to the rest of the backwards country how your county / city voted for increase budgets and how it helped. Then others can follow suit. You don’t need maga voter to do that in NY, Philly, Chicago etc. In addition, These universities can lower their tuition and costs at any time but they don’t.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I think we are saying the same thing. I believe reform is needed. Many things about higher education need to be fixed.

I'm against debt forgiveness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1