Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Scathing Stricklin article from All kinds of weather

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gainesvillegreen44, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Withhold the money needed to get the talent and fire the ad and coach for underperforming. That’s genius level planning and these guys think they are highly intelligent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Not sure if you have ever been a major investor in a company but when you are asked to continually put $ in with substandard results, you face a decision. Good money after bad or withhold $ and demand change. By all accounts we have had top 20 (if not top 10) NIL money and we have losing seasons. The money is getting antsy I believe and that is a good thing. Add in that the $400M stadium renovation requires $ from the same folks who fund NIL and the problem is crystal clear. Anybody focusing on the stadium rather than the product on the field has the cart in front of the horse. Granted, just my opinion, but I’m far more likely to be in the stands on a bench for winning games than in a nice chair back for losing seasons. I do believe others agree.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    All great points @SeabudGator. College athletics is a results-driven big business. This was posted more graphically on another thread, but to summarize: During Jeremy Foley's last 5 years as AD, Florida won 56 SEC championships and 12 National Titles. During Scott Stricklin's first 5 years, mainly with Foley hires, UF won 30 SEC titles and 6 National championships. That's -26 in SEC titles, -6 in national titles for Stricklin. Huge difference in results.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Anyone remember the bashing Jeremy Foley got on this board? He may not have always successful in his coaching picks. However, he was a Gator through and through.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Fire em now or support them. No sense cutting them at the knees and watching them twisting the wind. We need a few more good portal players to get tge product on the field some wins. The best talent usually wins.bama not so much this year.

6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Can someone tell me how women's tennis won 9 conference titles in the last 5 years under Foley?
    Do they have conference 2x per year?
    It also lists lacrosse as having won 10 titles in the last 5 years under Foley, and 8 under SS??

7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    For tennis, Singles and doubles? No guess for lacrosse.

8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    For women’s tennis, regular season championships plus conference tournament championships. Not sure about lacrosse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Could be the same. Forgot they award both. Lots of sports do it that way. Baseball, softball, basketball..

10. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

Florida ranks between 5th and 8th in terms of revenue generated by athletic departments. Money isn’t the problem. Investment in football is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gainesvillegreen44

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I don’t want to stir up a hornets nest here but how much of our NIL/booster cash flow issue is a cultural problem? Meaning- ask our boosters to cough up dough for a buyout or stadium expansion or staff salary- not a problem… but NIL suddenly is an issue. It’s been driven in our alumni head for 40+ years “UF does not pay players… we do it the right way…. Etc” and that’s a hard ship to turn around where at other schools (bama. lsu, Ohio st) , there already was a bag man (or several ) and it wasn’t a difficult pivot. I would guess these are older folks ….(Prolly didn’t like alternate uniforms either) bound by tradition and if SS is not front and center selling them on this idea but rather has a wait and see approach in regards to NIL and the NCAA… that these people feel like “NIL is bad/we shouldn’t pay young kids/it’ll go away eventually “ and therefore nobody is having the come to Jeebus talk?
    Just a hunch

• Like Like x 2
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Same - regular season and tournament.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Nice post. Thanks.

And even as this should be intuitive, I will just add it here, since this is YOU who is kicking the hornet's nest:). If anyone does not like how other people's money is being spent, it is always in play to spend OUR money differently and teach "those folks" a lesson in proper priorities.

I guess I could also add that what you have inferred (perhaps inadvertently) is that Stricklin may be attempting to lead from the rear when what we desire is a leader who leads in a turbulent time. Let's call it "prudence as it relates to his paycheck". And again, if that sort of administrator is less-than-ideal, spend enough money to get a seat on the board. THEN you can get someone more in line with what you desire.

But again, that involves the money thingy. Easier to bellyache on a sports forum. It is what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    You posted the original link so I'll take this up with you.
    That graphic is incorrect or at best mis-leading- I thought it was when I saw it.

If you simply take the tenure to the end of the last school year (23), men's outdoor wins 2 more nattys. (IDK about the other sports.)
    Further, let's remember that THERE WERE NO CHAMPIONSHIPS GIVEN OUT IN ALL SPRING/WINTER SPORTS IN 2020.
    So none of our spring teams had a chance to win titles that year.
    Therefore, it comparing apples to oranges.

I also find it ridiculous to count NINE titles in 5 years for tennis and SIX for soccer.
    And that's a major part of the difference. 15 of the 26. At most a team should be credited for 1 title per season.

So while certainly I have concerns about SS (women's basketball and soccer choices to name 2) a deeper dive reveals that graphic purposefully leaves out info just to advance an agenda. So count me suspicious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    It was posted on Reddit and is outdated. I don’t think there was an agenda rather than giving a snapshot of the program at that time. Your point about covid is valid, but the overall trajectory of the athletic department is not as healthy as it once was.

16. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I completely agree with that.
    As I said, the picks for women's bball and soccer left me concerned. I just don't get it.

Whether SS is a great or good or mediocre AD- I don't know.
    I'm glad we have Mouse Holloway for track.
    Strangest hire ever but it ended up being a home run.
    (He was promoted from within but had no prior college coaching experience before UF- except as a GA.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Why can't they just cut the stadium reno to 350MM and divert the balance of funds to NIL with donor approval? Surely 15% or so will say yes. They can even still have their name on the stadium somewhere so everyone knows they donated money.

18. gatorin1963

gatorin1963 Junior

Nov 20, 2016
    One should look at the win-loss record,SEC championships and national championships in all sports under Jeremy’s tenure. He was widely considered the best AD in the country.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gainesvillegreen44

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

If I have a penny extra to spend towards a cause - it’ll be on things that matter to me - and that matter to most Floridians right now- affordable housing, homelessness etc

so you absolutely nailed it… this is me bellyaching on a forum telling wealthy people how to spend their money (or coach their team … or run a route) none of this actually matters… it’s a distraction from life… not life itself. And in the midst of that distraction, I have observations

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Maybe withholding keeping up in football and diverting cash to other sports made for a bunch of championships in minor sports but football fell way behind. Don’t let your cash cow die fools.

• Creative Creative x 1