Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Saw Myles Graham play tonight

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Nov 24, 2023.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Saw him when he was younger so it had been a few years.

To say I was impressed was an understatement. At linebacker he was everywhere. He can move from sideline to sideline and is very smart. Solid in coverage too- this is huge for us!!!

Watched dad when he was this age and I think he’s as good as dad at RB ( remember dad was a solid NFL back). Myles just doesn’t get the carries. Ran for 3 touchdowns tonight with 2 of the 3 td’s very long runs. Simply the best player on the field.
    We are getting a very good one here and I hope we will get to see him in the MylesCat too because he can run it very effectively. At LB I think he’s definitely in the two deep next year.

• Like x 10
    • Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  2. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like our version of Harold Perkins. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Definite game changer. In a game with lots of good players , and 8-9 that will play D-1 football, he definitely stood out. Can’t wait to see what he does here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    With him, Chiles, Hayes, and Jaden Robinson in the fold….if Scooby, Nunnery, James, and Wingo are back and take that leap in the offseason and we can afford to let the freshmen LB’s come along at their own pace…….watch out.

don’t want to force them into action too soon

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree but some of what the appeal is to them is chance to compete early. I don’t see any of those guys ( older guys) taking major steps. I do have high hopes for Robinson but he is still a young guy compared to those guys that have been around for three and four years. I’m not saying any of them will start but once you watch Graham play, you’ll see a man that is ready to step in and contribute. If we had a great linebacker room, it would be different, but we don’t. Maybe Scooby takes a step but he’s 2 full years in. Nunnery and Wingo have 8 years between them so don’t see it happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    oh no doubt, I agree, if they come in and earn extensive PT, play them. I just hope to avoid having to throw them out there out of desperation even if they aren’t ready ala what we had to do with Shemar last year. Hoping the experience this year, good and bad, leads to stability and eventually continuity as the seasons goes on.

I hate to keep having to say we’re inexperienced and/or untalented at LB lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    Graham could be a 5 star RB, his vision, power and speed are top notch

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Very different in every aspect, but then again, his dad was the same. His dad was good at everything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wonder if he'll get a chance at RB...

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigigator15

bigigator15 VIP Member

Oct 28, 2022
    Hollywood FL
    too valuable at LB, unless we have injuries at the RB position we are very good there next year

11. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Makes sense. But I'm excited he's coming.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Yup. Myles plays running back because Buchholz's starting running back, Quinton Cutler, is a scatback. He's 140 pounds like 5' 6" IIRC. If you saw the game last night, you saw why, he's an incredible Jeff Demps like back, but he's still prone as most backs like that are to have trouble in short yardage situations where the D is stacking the box knowing the run is coming. That's where Myles comes in. Last night was a rare occurrence of him coming in during normal down (1st and 10 etc) situations. But when he did, he was probably still the best running back on the field (and Bartram Trail's running back is a 3 star navy commit in his own right - but was held to 80 yards - thanks also due in large part to Graham)

For anyone else who wants to see Myles, Kendall Jackson and company Buchholz plays Lakeland Friday for a trip to Tallahassee for the state championship. Game is at Citizen's field in Gainesville, as Buchholz is the #1 overall seed and #1 team in 4S. Game should be at 7:30pm and available on stream on the NFHS network.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Watched Myles when he played QB when younger. Watched and coached against dad. They are special
    Athletes and awesome people. Kind of guys you want on your team.

Cutler a tough dude.

• Like Like x 1
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I think you could still see him in the MylesCat. Nose for getting yards.

15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    we were selling Perkins on letting em get carries at Rb had he came to UF but….

16. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Wouldn't be the 1st time players were recruited at different positions or sports than then what they played HS football at.....
    1983 - state semi-finalest Buchholz all-state DB Vernon Maxwell was recruited to play Basketball at Florida
    1989 - State Champs Manatee HS offensive backfield of TB Kevin Freeman and FB Chris Bilkie were recruited to Florida. Freeman however played LB at Florida and Bilkie played FB Freeman rushed for over 1500 yds his senior year at Manatee.

I am sure there many others, but those 2 came immediately to mind.

Expecting a potentially high scoring game against Lakeland next Friday as Lakeland is loaded at the skilled positions on offense and has a massive OL that appear to be very mobile for kids that big at the HS level. Buchholz loaded up the box last night to stop the run and got burnt twice on long Pass plays. I don't believe Buchholz is the best team Lakeland will have face this year having played nationally ranked Miami Norland and St Joe's prep (both close loses for Lakeland) during the regular. season. Lakeland is a much more diversified team offensively than the Bartarm Trail team Buchholz faced last night, Lakeland's Achilles heel is its defense, and is why I see a high scoring game like the one Lakeland had last night which they won 77-48 against a better than average Lake Minneola which excelled offensively but was only average defensively.

17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Who do we have on campus now who is fast enough to be the real deal? James it appears.

18. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

I would say that is a pretty fair assessment. However I will say it's hard to extrapolate transitory data from the Buchholz-Bartram games. That series has become a very heated rivalry (In the first game there were like 8 unsportsmanlike conducts with a Bartram OL getting ejected) with both teams in the same region and district and both having state title aspirations and runs to the semifinals recently. Lots and lots of familiarity between the two programs that know each other tendencies very well so things end up a lot more fluid schematically as they trade chess moves more than normal games. A great example of that was Buchholz using Graham to jump start the offense last night. BT had gotten a good look at Buchholz during the first meeting when they got boat raced 44-7, and made great defensive adjustments between then and the next meeting, probably preparing for a likely rematch. They're no slouch either. Consistent powerhouse in region 1 4S, Top 10 in 4S, went toe to toe with St Augustine and Mainland and was within like 3 points at the half vs IMG. And had an absolute shootout with Navarre in the first round of the playoffs 67-55.

I agree about stacking the box too, but there were also pretty big breakdowns in coverage on those plays too which was very uncharacteristic for Buchholz this season. On one of those the line was pretty close to sacking the QB and if there's even one-on-one, he probably has to hold it long enough they get to him. And again, BT probably knows Buchholz's tendencies by formation better than anyone.

Buchholz is most dangerous if they can get a 14 or 21 point lead early (which is one of their MOs in 8 running clocks this season. They are usually a VERY fast starting team.) and make a team one-dimensional against them, at which point Kendall Jackson and Myles Graham can pin their ears back and go after the QB. And really that entire front 7 for Buchholz could end up on scholarship at various levels in college. They're that big if you've seen them in person.

Should be a very interesting matchup, especially the first quarter of the game. If Buchholz can start fast and get a couple quick stops and go up 14-0, its advantage buchholz. If Lakeland can hold par or better yet hold a lead through the first, then things will trend Lakeland IMO

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
  19. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Watching Michigan/OSU made me remember deuce spurlock who was supposed to make an impact and just started getting special teams Snaps lol. Wtf

20. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Good question. i like Jaden Robinson. Think Nunnery has the physical part down but over his head when he gets extended PT as we saw last Saturday night. What you think?