Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ron DeSantis next president

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorPrincess8, Jul 22, 2022.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    As far as congressional hearings go, I think it has been pretty neutral. There are a few who should never, ever speak, but camera time you know. Keeping hyperbole down and stop running to do a news show. I don’t think anyone is getting indicted, but present the info. That is why I joked about letting the NSA bring receipts. Not that it would matter.

Like it or not, most witnesses are die hard republicans and almost all seem disgusted at Trump’s behavior. Now self preservation kicks in and they hedge bets in order to keep working in the gop ecosystem. Everyone has bills to pay.

Staying in the narrative of your teams safe echo sphere damages the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I think he was using it figuratively, not literally. Because he couldn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    At this point virtually every witness has been a republican from the administration or from law enforcement. If trumpsters are not watching their former representatives testify, they will never watch.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    That’s a very optimistic scenario. As things stand now, they are similar to early 2016

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

Trump never had a majority of support until the end. At the start of the primary Trump had a hard core third or so but most republicans were not with him. But one by one he belittled them, called them unflattering nicknames, and called them all out for their hypocrisy until they all submitted and got into line. As it stands now, that is exactly what would happen again.

Two years is a long time and all kinds of things can happen, but barring a Trump health issue or conviction you have to say he is the favorite.

Plus it would be hard for Desantis to run against Trump. He is running as Trump 2.0. My guess is Desantis never takes on Trump too strong and ultimately decides to take a Trump VP spot.

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’ve seen Biden say “Yesterday” plenty of times. Question is can Desantis say “yesterday”? Seems like a stumbling block for GOP leaders.

• Like Like x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Not anymore. The democrats are catching up. New maps are +6 to democrats plus many of the Republican ones are in litigation. Without a new voter act HOuse will be democrat controlled by gerrymandering in a few cycles.

California currently has more republican congressmen than any state except Texas and Florida. New York has as many as almost any other state. Soon house will look like the electoral college.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    " . . . . by disproportionate representation in The Senate, due to each State having 2 Senators regardless of population."

Correct!

FB_IMG_1642687809815.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I literally do not think I know a single person who has watched any of the January 6th hearings.

I also know very, very few people who would vote for Trump again, so I’m not sure that “watching congressional dog and pony shows” is a particularly important metric here.

And personally I’m not ignoring it out of spite, I’m ignoring it for the same reason I do every congressional investigatory hearing: because the only reason it’s happening is because the party in control thinks it’s politically helpful to put on this show.

• Come On Man x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  9. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Screenshot_20220513-102104_Google.jpg

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jan 6 was an unprecedented assault on our democracy. Congress would be derelict in their duty to ignore that it happened and not examine what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    And it would, obviously, be impossible for Congress to undertake this very important examination during, say, their normal working hours rather than 7 PM, correct?

And I’m sure it is, of course, impossible for Congress to examine what could be done to keep it from happening again without hiring experienced TV directors to assist in that process.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They need to expose Trump's insurrection for what it was. Glad they're being smart about it. It's unfortunate that most GOP Reps are cowards and refused to participate.

Meanwhile, Trump continues to have his P. T. Barnum rallies around the country spreading his LIES and preparing for Round 2 in his efforts to steal an election and destroy our democracy. Screenshot_20210831-131022_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean the EC wont matter when Texas and Florida flip someday. We have to do more than count on the ec

14. tilly

When they started intentionally placing hearings in prime time I knew what we were getting.

Couple that with my already strong hate for Trump and I'm a conservative that will not be watching.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

It doesnt. Its just a social media meme that lap dogs lap up. Its exactly what the left claims the right does

16. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What you are getting is the TRUTH . . . UNDER OATH, directly from REPUBLICANS who were in the room, many who were TRUMP LOYALISTS.

Even Faux News hosts have acknowledged how powerful the hearings have been.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    The kind of “TRUTH” that can only be delivered in primetime with the help of a production staff.

You’re getting a political press conference that happens to have subpoena power. It’s not excusing the actions on January 6th to also realize that this particular hearing is being conducted primarily as an exercise in political masturbation by the left.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What to when you are smart enough to know what is going to happen is wrong but you want it to happen anyway while pretending some other principle limited you

DA22925B-B82D-4E39-8E57-68C2851C8189.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 4
  19. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Nope, just have better uses of my time than watching political grandstanding. Didn’t watch the Benghazi hearings for the same reason, and didn’t want Benghazi to happen either.

Congress is perfectly capable of fact-finding without cameras rolling and a production staff (that’s why, for example, committees have investigatory staffs). When those show up, you’re not seeing some important legislative oversight function being carried out - you’re watching a made-for-TV show that exists solely to create soundbites.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Without even mentioning the fascist leaning power abusing punishment for Disney's stating its opinion against a DeSantis policy, this is a powerful message:

Paywalled:

DeSantis and his allies in Florida are trampling on our First Amendment rights | Column

Not paywalled:

archive.ph

Whether or not you admit the truth to yourselves or others, if you favor DeSantis, you support an ally/backer of the fascist coup attempt to end democracy, you support his fascist leaning "thought police" agenda, and you support his fascist leaning abridgment of free speech rights, meaning that you, de facto, support fascism, whether you intend to or not.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1