Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Roe v Wade Overturned

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 24, 2022.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Abortion ban causes complications for Arkansan family | thv11.com

Chelsea carried a higher-risk pregnancy and was told her baby wasn’t likely to survive, but because Chelsea’s life wasn’t immediately at risk, though if it could be, later on, legally she couldn’t end the pregnancy in Arkansas.

Her situation left doctors scared to even suggest ending the pregnancy as a medical option. Thomas explained that the legal complications led to frustration at the doctor's office.

"These doctors are scared to talk or scared to say certain things because they're scared of the backlash themselves; because they are worried. They shouldn't have to... call a lawyer before they tell a patient something," he commented.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Missouri's abortion ban left her 'with a baby dying inside.'

If Maeve was delivered right then, chances of survival at 17 weeks and 5 days were zero, according to the assessment and plan section of Farmer's medical records outlining the visit. And the outcome wasn't much better if they tried to hold off on delivery.

The doctors recommended terminating the pregnancy, but 39 days after the state of Missouri banned abortions, that wasn't an option, at least not in Missouri.

A year ago, the hospital could have offered a chance for the couple to say goodbye and hold their daughter, even though they knew she wouldn't survive outside the womb.

Instead, Farmer and McNeill were left to make a series of trips across three states and countless phone calls.

3. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    The Meteor - My Pregnancy vs. the State of Texas

My doctor outlined the roadmap in no uncertain terms: I could wait however long it took to go into labor naturally, if I did at all, knowing that my baby would be stillborn or pass away soon after; I could wait for my baby’s heartbeat to stop, and then we could end the pregnancy; or—most alarmingly—I could develop an infection and become so sick that my life would become endangered. Not until one of those things happened would a single medical professional in the state of Texas legally be allowed to act. It was a waiting game, the most horrific version of a staring contest: Whose life would end first? Mine, or my daughter’s?

I knew I was going to lose my baby. And I knew it could be days—or weeks—of living with paralyzing agony before we could move forward.

People have asked why we didn’t get on a plane or in our car to go to a state where the laws aren’t so restrictive. But we live in the middle of Texas, and the nearest “sanctuary” state is at least an 8-hour drive. Developing sepsis—which can kill quickly—in a car in the middle of the West Texas desert, or 30,000 feet above the ground, is a death sentence, and it’s not a choice we should have had to even consider. But we did, albeit briefly.

Instead, it took three days at home until I became sick “enough” that the ethics board at our hospital agreed we could legally begin medical treatment; three days until my life was considered at-risk “enough” for the inevitable premature delivery of my daughter to be performed; three days until the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals were allowed to do their jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  5. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Almost dies isn't going to be enough to move the needle, unfortunately actually dying probably won't be either.

Texas woman almost dies because she couldn't get an abortion - KTVZ

After her water broke, Amanda’s doctors sent her home and told her to watch for signs of infection, and that only when she was “considered sick enough that my life was at risk” would they terminate the pregnancy, Amanda said.

“My doctor said it could take hours, it could take days, it could take weeks,” she remembers.

Once they heard “hours,” they decided there was no time to travel to another state for an abortion.

“The nearest ‘sanctuary’ state is at least an eight-hour drive,” Amanda wrote in an online essay on The Meteor. “Developing sepsis — which can kill quickly — in a car in the middle of the West Texas desert, or 30,000 feet above the ground, is a death sentence.”

6. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    And another one.

Abortion, Every Day (11.15.22)

After being sent home, she continued to bleed so heavily that she got into an empty bathtub and started taking photos showing that the bottom of the tub filled with blood, “just trying to prove what was happening, because I felt like I wasn't believed.” Then this happened:

“‘That's when I started to feel the world slip away,’ she says. ‘I looked at him and I said, 'I don't think I'm okay.’ She'd lost so much blood, so quickly, her blood pressure had plummeted. [Her husband'] watched as her eyes rolled back. Her body went limp – she lost consciousness. He caught her neck so she didn't bang her head against the tub. ‘I thought she was a goner,’ he says.”​

Her family called 911 and she was taken back to the emergency room where she was finally given a D&C. The hospital gave her the option to stay overnight, but she chose to go home because “it wasn’t a place I felt safe.”

7. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Because of Wisconsin's abortion ban, one mother gave up trying for another child

After 10 long months of trying, Petranek got pregnant in March 2022. The whole family was thrilled. But at her first prenatal appointment, her doctor couldn't find a heartbeat. It was an early miscarriage.

Devastated, she went home to wait for the miscarriage to resolve. It was the second time she'd miscarried and she was anxious about possible complications. The days passed miserably, she says, as she suffered through nausea, extreme fatigue, abdominal pain and backaches. After a few days, she started to run a fever.

Resting under a heating pad, she tried to distract herself from the miscarriage by scrolling through Twitter, and that's when she saw the leaked Supreme Court opinion indicating that Roe v. Wade could imminently be overturned.

She knew what that would mean in Wisconsin – an old law on the books could snap back into place, making abortions illegal. Petranek had no plans to end a pregnancy – she was focused on growing her family. But she realized right away that if abortion became illegal, that could affect how doctors cared for her if anything went wrong.

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As expected, DeSantis promoted him

Smith became a target of criticism from reproductive rights advocates after an appeals court overturned his decision in a case involving a 17-year-old girl who sought a judicial waiver to obtain an abortion without her parents’ consent.

He’d concluded that the girl did not demonstrate the maturity, intelligence and other qualities necessary to make the decision. In a 2-1 ruling, a three-judge panel found that Smith abused his judicial discretion.

Although judicial races are nonpartisan, the race between Smith and Jacobs carried an air of partisanship. Reproductive rights advocates backed Jacobs, a criminal defense and family law attorney. She had twice before campaigned for judicial vacancies.

Smith, an evangelical Christian, became the target of further criticism when a video surfaced of his wife speaking about Jacobs during a campaign appearance in a local church. In the video, Suzette Smith is heard saying that Jacobs, who is Jewish, “needs Jesus,” among other comments.

DeSantis appoints ousted judge to appeals court
    DeSantis appoints ousted judge to appeals court - Tampa Bay Times

For more great content like this subscribe to the Tampa Bay Times app here:

9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    That’s despite wording in Alabama’s new Human Life Protection Act that criminalizes abortion providers and prevents its use against the people receiving abortions. Instead, the attorney general’s office said Alabama could rely on an older law, one initially designed to protect children from meth lab fumes.

Haven't read the laws, but that seems like a stretch. And, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me given the argument has traditionally been that pregnant women are also victims - or at the very least shouldn't be punished.

11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It's actually the only consistent position for abortion legalization opponents. They just like to avoid punishing women because it looks bad and is politically unpopular. But if you are going to seriously argue that there is no difference between a baby that has been born and a first trimester fetus in legal terms, then you have to reasonably argue that the mothers have committed some level of intentional killing of a person when they knowingly attempt to get an abortion. The position that we should go after only the doctors and not the women is just trying to polish a turd of a policy to make it look better.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I have a hard time disagreeing with your logic there.

13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Your point is logical but I don't think that they are driven by philosophical consistency. I think there is a real desire to prosecute women as a positive in and of itself

14. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Because it's a philosophy rooted in the hatred of women ultimately.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Is it hatred - or fear?

Fear of the power of the sexual attraction that binds men and women together? The countries where fundamentalist Islam is practiced deal with it by veiling their females, keeping them under lock and key, both in reality and / or the virtual sense through suppressive laws and customs. Laws that can be said were written to punish women for their alluring and seductive power of attraction known to drive some men to distraction or ruin.

16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    There's a dialectical relationship between those things when it comes to misogyny. The fear of emasculation/castration if we want to get all Freudian.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Potato, po-tah-to for all intents and purposes.

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is really messed up:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The sacrament of abortion.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. VAg8r1