Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Roe v Wade Overturned

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 24, 2022.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My wife is not amused, or at least acts likes she's disturbed, when I tell her I age out of my big LI policy at 70, so I need to make sure to time my death correctly

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Yes, well I took note of which posters gave me a “thanks” emoji when I said I’m dying as fast as I can.

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    What a tragic mess. How is endangering pregnant women with the withholding of drugs and/or medical procedures helpful to the fetus? As the mother goes, so goes the baby. Dead mom, dead baby.

If anti-choicers think these tactics are going to result in an increase in the "domestic infant supply," I think they're exceedingly mistaken. I would expect a reduction in the number of women willing to become pregnant.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I'd say Barry and the neo-progressive flash in the pan would represent the Boomer gen's last death spasms.

Roe v. Wade was the cornerstone of what their generation stood for, the foundation upon which the sexual revolution was built, the institutionalization of me > anyone else (including a developing baby), primacy of privacy, of militant independence...

And it's been over turned.

The irony is that a Boomer--Trump--would be the person most instrumental in dismantling the Boomer legacy. Go figure.

Well...ETTD's right? LOL!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  6. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    How long until this block on the ban is removed?

7. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Today isn't a good day and can't talk much. Friend in support group sent me this. And for us, as rape survivors, it sums up how we feel as women,how many other women feel at the hands of what seems to be a large number of republicans.

You know why so many don't report? Cuz it's bring victmized over and over. It's reporting and being laughed at, sneered at,...called names, to maybe get charges,harassed & dragged, then if luky yrs down road get a conviction...that MIGHT allow u to get abortion. Half my support needed abortions & lucky no waiting.

Take a long long look. Because this is how a lot of women feel. Before u say "well rape except ok", so we have to get violated b4we have rights? Does this apply to all of u pubs? Nothing absolute. But for most...yeah and you'll probably laugh or come on man me.

For once don't care. Want u uncomfortable too.
    FWQDHVgWAAAC9Rq.png

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Good point

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The Bee!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Weeks.

11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is actually the best thing they have ever done. While I can’t possibly get further away from the message, I’ll admit they have finally found a way to be clever.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    They didn’t contemplate any of this, nor the failed history where this policy has been implemented before. These religious zealots will save *zero* “babies”, but there will be a body count of increased infant mortality, womens deaths during childbirth, women dying from sepsis, etc. All those things were anticipated and the warnings given. Now we get to watch the tragedies unfold. Just like mass shootings I’m sure these deaths will get “thoughts and prayers”.

The issues around some of the drugs I don’t think were anticipated, because I don’t think many expected the zealotry to go that far. So apparently some totally innocent people who aren’t pregnant or don’t even plan to get pregnant are facing issues being able to access their medication, at least in the short term, just because that medication happens to intersect with abortion. Brilliant.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "Roe v. Wade was the cornerstone of what their generation stood for, the foundation upon which the sexual revolution was built, the institutionalization of me > anyone else (including a developing baby), primacy of privacy, of militant independence..."
    Actually, it you're going to attribute a single factor to the sexual revolution it wasn't the Roe v. Wade decision it was availability of oral contraceptives which predated Roe by well over a decade. As a matter of fact even the term "sexual revolution" was in widespread use well before Roe.
    The Pill and the Sexual Revolution | American Experience | PBS

15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    This is the SCOTUS, not the legislature.

Their role is not to craft law or public policy. It's to interpret law.

Roe went way beyond existing law to address public policy.

All the SCOTUS did here, is roll back the SCOTUS's assumed role of deciding cases in deference to public policy rather than the law.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That was the rationale of a common argument against Brown v Board of Education.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Good God.

18. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Faster than that (at least for removing it temporarily), although it’s sort of complicated.

Cooper’s injunction will take effect when he enters the written order (probably Tuesday).

The state will immediately file a notice of appeal, and Florida Rule of Appellate Procedure 9.310 provides that the filing of a notice of appeal by the state operates as an automatic stay pending appeal (meaning that his order would temporarily cease to be in effect).

Plaintiffs will then presumably ask him to vacate the automatic stay (which would put his injunction back in effect), and if he does the state will ask the appellate court to reinstate the automatic stay (which would make the injunction not be in effect again).

19. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I was not aware of that rule. Interesting. Thanks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    You say this, with a straight face, as if the Court is now not just an appendage of the Fundamentalist Republican Party.

• Agree Agree x 1