Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Roe v Wade Overturned

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 24, 2022.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Thank you for the kind wishes.

Taking a moment. Because this is disgusting but not surprising

Jess Piper on TikTok

Missouri hospital (one of the largest systems there from comments) refusing to hand out emergency contraceptives to RAPE VICTIMS due to the new law. Also actively working on a bill to prohibit pregnant women from leaving the state.

I really don't get some of you. You're okay with this because it's not you. It's not someone you love or know. You're perfectly fine taking people's rights away, forcing girls to carry their rapist's kid, having people be denied treatment...in an attempt to push YOUR faith & beliefs on everyone else.

Not a single person is for 39 week abortions. Even in "evil" NY it's 24 weeks. You're not talking restrictions You're talking BANS. Not just on abortion, but on contraceptives, IVF, emergency surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, etc.

And anytime someone complains, especially if it's a woman, most of you take the "oh they're being hysterical".

Well here we are. Oh they're not going after contraceptives...yes they are. Oh it's just loose women that are affected....no they're not. Oh it's just about abortion.

No. It's. Not.

But pat yourself on the back if you're cheering. You've managed to kill some women, likely cost the fertility of others, killed any chance of others having a family, caused prolonged suffering by dying of cancer needlessly, forced young teens who can't get their own PHONE to bear kids, get providers arrested for saving someone's life....

Yay you. You're not godly. Not close. God is love. This? This is the exact opposite of love. It's the use of God to justify the abuse of women. And it's disgusting.

Time for more meds...and knowing how I'd be dead without them and that so many get handed that sentence now because of SHEER IGNORANCE is deflating, angering, and so many other words that I can't type.

And for the usual crowd. I'm not a leftist as you like to say. I'm not a Biden voter. I'm an independent, a woman, a mother, a medical worker, a survivor. And I count, too. I'm not a second-class person without rights because I am not a white Christian male.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Yet again....

"Baby" is an Informal term with a BROAD application.

....and btw, different phases of development of what?

Finish the thought. Don't be afraid....

Here, let me finish it for you:

Human BE-ing.

Embryo, Fetus, infant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult, geriatric...

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So would it be wrong to refer to you as a baby? Why?

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Perhaps not, if you were my lover, i suppose.

Have you never had a lover call you baby, or called her--or in your csse, him?--'baby'?

;)

(That was kinda the point btw...not sure where the hell you thought you were going with that...but hey, you do you....).

5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    If somebody calls you "a baby" not "baby" that would generally not be considered a positive thing for an adult. Mainly because it is a different stage of development. Babies have been born. This is why the definition of the term contains the phrase "especially one newly or recently born."

And nice attempt to make a joke that I am gay. Classy stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    This won’t last forever.

Real-Time US Baby Boomer Generation population Death Clock

1946 - 1964

US Baby Boomers Dead
    29.6540412 %

Total 85,358,000
    Alive 60,045,903
    Dead 25,312,097

Death every 16.1 Seconds
    5,381 Deaths Today

It’ll represent one of the biggest shifts in generational wealth and power that we’ve seen in a long while.

Pretty soon it will be time to clean up their mess without them clinging to power and interfering with progress.

These moments of regression that we are experiencing are commonly what happens before big shifts forward happen. The pendulum always swings back.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Lol! Get all touchy n try to act all dignified n shit, when YOU were the one who went all cutesy with your "is it cool of i call you baby" crap. Or "a baby "--whatever.

Your feigned indignation rimgs pathetically hollow.

Class. LMAO!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Lol, you think I said "is it cool of i call you baby?" You seem to really think highly of yourself, but I said nothing of the sort. You might try reading posts before responding next time.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Wut?

"Is it wrong to call you a baby?"

Same difference.

Whatever. Enough with your childishness.

Far more importantly, to THE point you are desperately trying to avoid....

Have you ever known anyone who had a miscarriage?

Guess how they inevitably describe it:

"I/we lost our....

BABY".

Not "i/we lost our ebryo or fetus", but their BABY.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ^^^just like what's KILLED in an abortion: a human BABY.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here is WaPo on the issue of withholding standard of care for women of childbearing age for fear of vigilante lawsuits or rogue prosecutors if a terminated pregnancy follows.

Verma, an ACOG fellow who is on a post-Roe task force organized by physician groups in Georgia, said there has been alarm in their discussions that even routine treatments or procedures such as giving anesthesia or chemotherapy to pregnant patients could put doctors at risk of prosecution because of the possibility of injury to the fetus. She wondered, “Are surgeons going to be afraid to intervene when a pregnant patient ruptures their appendix because they might inadvertently end the pregnancy?”

A few weeks ago, a woman’s water broke early in the pregnancy, long before the fetus was viable. In those situations, doctors typically counsel women that they are at risk of sepsis, a systemic infection, and let them decide how to proceed. Some choose an abortion, while others wait it out — but the longer they wait, the longer the risk of life-threatening complications. Gustafson said she was clear that she could give the woman a choice in this case. But what about the next patient in similar circumstances after the ban goes into effect?

At 1½ pages, Idaho’s law is longer than most and includes attempts at defining some terms. But Gustafson, who has worked as a physician for more than 20 years, said phrases such as “provided the best opportunity for the unborn child to survive” do not have clear medical definitions and can be interpreted in different ways. The law does make an exception to the ban for rape or incest, but people seeking abortion in those circumstances are required to provide a copy of a report from a law enforcement agency to a physician.

Moreover, she explained, many complications related to pregnancy — including infection as well as preeclampsia, in which the blood pressure can rise precipitously — involve a gradual descent into a life-threatening state. It’s unclear how sick a patient has to be before the state’s exception allowing abortion to save the life of the mother kicks in and the patient is eligible to have the pregnancy terminated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/06/28/abortion-ban-roe-doctors-confusion/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I guess if you don't know English.

The actual definition of a miscarriage: "the expulsion of a fetus from the womb before it is able to survive independently, especially spontaneously or as the result of accident."

So the correct terminology is that yes it involves a fetus. As it is defined by the dictionary.

Much of what you are discussing is actually stillbirth, as that is what happens later in pregnancy.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting thing about the miscarriage issue. Statistically, most women will have early spontaneous miscarriages without even being aware they were pregnant.

A miscarriage, also called a spontaneous abortion, is the unexpected ending of a pregnancy. About 1/3 to 1/2 of all pregnancies end in miscarriage before a person misses a menstrual period or even knows they are pregnant. About 10 to 20% of people who know they are pregnant will miscarry.

A miscarriage is most likely to occur within the first 3 three months of pregnancy, before 20 weeks’ gestation. Only 1% of miscarriages occur after 20 weeks’ gestation. These are termed late miscarriages.

Miscarriage: Risks, Symptoms, Causes & Treatments

Under the framework that life begins at conception, IUDs are abortifacients and an embryo at this stage is morally indistinguishable from a later term pregnancy or even a child after birth, nature is the primary abortionist (to use Sam Alito’s term) by far, and anyone who does not mourn each loss, even one they were unaware occurred, does not respect life.

Or more likely we all intuit a significant moral difference between first trimester developing embryos and later pregnancy, even if that distinction is no longer recognized legally in many states, especially those with the right Pro-Life values like Mississippi.

One other thing from the same piece from The Cleveland Clinic

What causes miscarriage?
    About half of all miscarriages that occur in the first trimester are caused by chromosomal abnormalities — which might be hereditary or spontaneous — in the parent's sperm or egg. Chromosomes are tiny structures inside the cells of the body that carry many genes, the basic units of heredity.

Genes determine all of a person’s physical attributes, such as sex, hair and eye color and blood type. Most chromosomal problems occur by chance and are not related to the parents' health.

Miscarriages are also caused by a variety of unknown and known factors, such as:

• Infection.
    • Exposure to environmental and workplace hazards such as high levels of radiation or toxic agents.
    • Hormonal irregularities.
    • Improper implantation of fertilized egg in the uterine lining.
    • Maternal age.
    • Uterine abnormalities.
    • Incompetent cervix. (The cervix begins to widen and open too early, in the middle of pregnancy, without signs of pain or labor.)
    • Lifestyle factors such as smoking, drinking alcohol, or using illegal drugs.
    • Disorders of the immune system including lupus, an autoimmune disease.
    • Severe kidney disease.
    • Congenital heart disease.
    So miscarriages can result from chromosomal abnormalities in the sperm, lifestyle, random health issues, disease, or just the unknown. Or being treated for other issues.

But now the woman, grieving if it’s a later wanted pregnancy or perhaps not even being aware she was pregnant and then seeking medical help, faces criminal or civil liability. As does anyone else potentially deemed to have helped “cause” an event that happens randomly and in 1/3 to 1/2 of all pregnancies, if the local prosecutor, or even a non local plaintiff empowered to sue, is sufficiently steeped in the “Culture of Life” to press the issue legally. They can allege that your “lifestyle”, or even the fact that you were getting treated for another medical problem, or somehow were negligent in getting an infection, caused you to fail in your duty to be no more than a sacred vessel, charged with delivering at all costs, even your own health or life, without failure, even when nature routinely fails.

Sure, sure, all the usual suspects will say they never expect a mother whose life is in danger to be compelled to carry to term. And that no one is supposed to face criminal or civil liability under those scenarios. But medical conclusions are not so clear and unambiguous, and all miscarriages, a/k/a “abortions”, can be second guessed legally, especially if the prosecutor or plaintiff is properly motivated, and we certainly have those.

15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Lol! Boy you are really just flailing desperately and grasping for anything you can grasp here....

For perhaps the 4th or fifth time....

Baby is an INFORMAL term.

Of course its not going to appear in the dictionary as a techical definition.

...but in the common vernacular, by regular real ppl, outside of your desired sterile academic laboratory, when real ppl lose real babies to miscarriages OR stillbirth, they lament the loss of their BABY.

...not their embryo or fetus.

What's more, even IF you insidt on being all technical, it's 'embryonic human being', and 'fetal human being', to distinguish from say embryonic/fetal dog, or monkey, or frog...

Bc they're humam beings...in a tender state of development--or as I like to put it--of human BE-ing.

Roe's dead. You don't get to deny their humanity anymore.

C'est la vie.

16. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I really like the LegalEagle channel. Here is a video that helps non-LegalEagles like myself understand what happened. I'm only a few minutes in, but figured I'd share. I haven't been disappointed by one of his videos yet.

17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But none of that matters if you don't care what the words mean.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lupus patients of childbearing age too

19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Just a minute. Hold on - I’m dying as fast as I can.

• Funny Funny x 5
  20. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    President Joe Biden on Thursday said he would support a suspending the Senate filibuster rule to codify the constitutional right to an abortion as established by the Supreme Court’s landmark 1973 ruling to Roe v. Wade.

His comments represent critical support for suspending a key procedural hurdle that has thus far prevented Senate Democrats from passing legislation that would make the Roe decision federal law.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/30/bid...o-ease-senate-rules-to-codify-roe-v-wade.html