Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Roe v Wade Overturned

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 24, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If I cant read any of your posts anymore, it will be heaven to me

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. dynogator

dynogator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I believe I specifically mentioned, "in my opinion," in my post. No expertise was claimed. If opinions trouble you, you're in the wrong place.

I even went so far as to single out politicians and others in positions of authority, and I do feel qualified to judge them, based on their past words and actions, their voting records, etc.

You will never convince me that the hero of the right, the provider of sly Justices, Donald Trump, acted in this with any assistance from a conviction or a conscience, for he has neither. It's quite the galactic irony that such a vile, repulsive tool should have been used by those with both to achieve their aims.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think what happens is that the federal government is essentially the equivalent of the EU parliament, very limited in its ability to shape policy, and exists mainly to keep the dollar going. States become the only place where politics happens, and there will be stupid and destructive competition between them, and you will see a rise of "secessionist" parties/politicians like in the EU countries, but they will mostly exist to give shouty speeches in congress and hold symbolic votes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Moderation in all things. Oh, and keep an open mind, educate yourself, and try to see the other person's point of view. I too fail at these things more often than I'd like.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    And you know this how? I mean, unlike your usual pronouncements, you didn't cite any controlling scripture this time.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    twice on Sunday without lubrication?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    For 50 years, states have been unable to enact even modest protections for unborn children. More than 90% of Europe restricts abortion on demand after 15 weeks, but every state in America has been forced to allow it more than a month past that, after a baby can feel pain, yawn, stretch, and suck his or her thumb. Judicial activists declared that every state had to handle abortion like China and North Korea and no state could handle it like France or Germany,” McConnell said.

9. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Oh I'm not applauding them for anything. You and I agree that they intended to deceive, which was my point. They technically told the truth while practically lying their asses off.

IMO, they demonstrated the honesty equivalent of a woman who claims she's a virgin because her hymen's intact, despite blowing half her hometown.

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Did he add that now states can have abortion laws like Iran and Saudi Arabia?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Except McConnell is not really being truthful. Shocker

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Do these states get to vote on it? Before your hyperbolic reflexes kick in….oh wait that’s all you have.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Iran has elections too, what's your point?

14. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Therein lies the problem with courts choosing to exercise political will rather than legal judgment. They lose the only thing that gives their rulings force--agreed credibility.

That in turn means that the decisions of the incumbent political authority become final and unreviewable, presuming enough people recognize the legitimacy of that authority. If not, then the system continues to destabilize until there is some kind of sea change that eventually settles to a new equilibrium (usually in the form of a new government).

We're blessed in that our political system has been stable for so long based in large part on our mutual good faith and respect for our political institutions and system of government.

However, that stability is rapidly eroding because certain elements have lost the ability to self-regulate, and are instead openly abusing their positions to take what they want, when they want, using methods that wholly contradict our democratic underpinnings.

That's not sustainable. It's just not. And by the time the people currently drunk on power and partisanship realize it, it will be too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    wonder how many of the pro-abortion people would have liked it if their mother's aborted them?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Woollybooger

Woollybooger VIP Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I would like to add something here that has not been said to my knowledge. I think it was significant the Roberts voted with the majority in this ruling. He has moderated with liberals on many issues in the past; he therefore sends a signal that he believes Roe was never constitutional and thus overturned 6 to 3. Not close by anyone's interpretation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Alabama will look this way soon. You’re right.

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thomas is also the only Supreme Court justice (as far we know) whose wife supports treason.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Feel better?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Read Justice Thomas’s concurrence. He tells us, in plain and unambiguous easy-to-read English, your fears are justified. He leaves no room for doubt as to where he thinks this decision will take us, and his approval of that direction.

• Agree Agree x 4