Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Robinson Released From LOI

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 16, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Cox and Kimber were starters. Should UF not take any players like those because they might start but not be very good? In my opinion UF should open up the wallets, take as many players as they can and let them compete on the field. If they can start or contribute valuable minutes or if they show enough promise, keep them and encourage the others to go back into the transfer portal.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wow, what people don't know or understand, scares them.

7 or 8 years ago I used to care much more about all things recruiting and spent plenty of time on here posting updates as they came thru and passing along my opinions where many players were going. Several of us looked after each other thru hurricanes, meeting up at basketball and baseball games, and sharing contact info on prospects. I really don't care if you know that or not but @candymanfromgc does. This is his thread after all and we should respect that, not take over yet another thread with all of this. Sorry Candy.

I also noticed how quick you are to lash out at others posters, labeling me a bellyacher, complainer, hypersensitive, and even assuming I have a double standard, all in just one post, quite impressive. But yet you end your post saying I should not post disagreeable information. What are you, some member of today's news media because you are following the same ideology of many of today's TV news people, by calling them names and then suggest they should limit what they say.

I see you've been on here since 2008 and currently show just over 1000 posts. GC has on occasion reset some of their the ratings numbers so it might be difficult to know the real numbers over that time period. But I also see you only have 165 likes. I hardly ever wonder about how many likes any of us have here but it does say something about their attitudes from other posters when compared to their total posts. Yours tells me most on here really don't care to like your posts or they don't prefer to read what you post. That's not me saying it, that's the Gator Country readers.

In comparison, you will find my ratings are a bit higher and I've posted quite a bit more than your numbers seem to indicate. And by an interesting comparison my likes are more than 2 to 1 with my posts. Clearly what I have to say seems to matter more to the good people hear at Gator Country because posters often PM me to say they appreciate my opinions and enjoy reading my updates. I don't do this to make you happy. That's probably beyond the norm at this point. I really don't care about your hurt feelings or what you bring to the recruiting boards any more.

Quite frankly, your name calling and insisting your opinion ratings matter more, so others should stop posting theirs, is sickening to this website. People here want to be heard and be allowed to share their opinions, not be told what they should or should not post. Many of us come here to build relationships with others, not be called names or disrespected. What people say matters. Give them a chance to share their opinion and state any facts they think they know and don't be so quick to disagree. You might find other people on here start caring a little more about the things you have to say and Gator Country will find even more posters starting to join in, not be cast aside by your quick judgements.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I've just casually followed these threads and subsequent responses to "Tarponbro", and Im just going to say......I follow a rivals Florida HS football forum fairly regularly. One of the regular contributor's there is a person that goes by the name "Silver King", who is a Charlotte HS "The fighting Tarpons" alumni...( he actually played on the OL with Gator great, Burton Lawless at Charlotte HS). I've wondered on number of ocassions if "Tarponbro" from this message board and "Silver King" from the rivals FL HS message board were actually the same person? I've never acted on that question because well Silver King is actually a Miami Hurricane fan, and I just couldnt imagine Silver King coming to a Gator forum under a different name and participating in a Gator forum......well until today when I read your P.S. and you made mention of your reference to Silver King?

Please explain your reference to Silver King?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm trying to be respectful when I disagree but that is just a bad take for a number of reasons. First off, Cox was a physically talented kid but his issues were known and we took a chance. Kimberly and Mitchel were not going to be starters going forward. As far as just opening up the checkbook and trying out players like clothes in a store, that's unrealistic too. Every program is shopping (bidding wars) the portal and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of options to choose from.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gringoloco

gringoloco Sophomore

Jan 9, 2024
    Interesting post. My reference to Silver King is simply because that expression has been used at times in reference to tarpon. I’ve caught my share — mostly in Boca Grande. On live bait of course — not snagging…… er, jigging :cool:

6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Boosters

• Like Like x 1
  7. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    You’re being ridiculous. First, I didn’t call them “trash”. Secondly, you can lose your mind and throw a fit all you want …we’re not investing NIL into players who are shopping above their value.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I isolated on Kimber several games this past season. He was horrible. Not just bad at tackling, he looked like he was afraid to tackle. Good riddance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    At one point I thought he was one of our highest rated in coverage but if he can't tackle he's still a liability. Agreed

10. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    I can think of 2 DB's off the cuff that were originally from the state of Florida, that excelled at coverage, but not so much at tackling.....yet both played on teams that won national championships in college as well as won Super Bowl titles in the NFL.........just saying your theory on tackling and coverage going hand in hand with equating to being the measure of a good DB isnt completely accurate.....if given time Im sure I could come up with more....There is more than just those 2 factors, that go into determining a player being a good DB

11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    On one of the td runs against fsu, in reference to kimber, Kirk or Chris said something to the effect of this isn’t two hand touch

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Sure. Don't disagree to a point. Deion couldn't tackle a kicker but he shut his side of the field down. Kimber was solid in coverage especially relative to our issues but he wasn't so effective that it offset his tackling deficiencies. He was pretty bad as was Mitchel. It's not like they were getting picks either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    Deion was in fact one of the 2 I immediately thought of, the other was Tyrone Williams, from Manatee HS and a team mate of Tommie Frazier, went to Nebraska and was drafted by The Green Bay Packers where he played several years winning a Super Bowl there. Both excelled at change of direction and acceleration speed, both however avoided physical contact.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If he can’t tackle, he better be extremely elite in coverage and even then, you can’t have multiple contactless on any defense. Dion was so good his guy rarely had to be tackled and there are ten other guys to tackle everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    If we don't get more players in the portal or have better high school recruiting we we get stuck in the land of mediocrity or worse. We must get more talent to compete at the top level of college football. I said this before and I'm going to say it again: Do not count on any quality high school recruit that we sign on being here more than two years unless they're paid in the upper echelon of players at their position. This is the situation at almost every university and it costs a lot of money to acquire and maintain talent. It's also not going to get cheaper, at least not in the near future. The fact that UF is getting very few, if any, of the highest rated players in the transfer portal is very concerning to me and the longer we look for bargains and diamonds in the rough instead of paying for the highest rated players, the longer it will take to get back to the top. Mark my words on this. I hope I'm wrong about this but I don't think I am.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    You didn't call them trash. Wanne did, in two separate posts. If those guys were the best we could do that's a problem. Virtually every player in the transfer portal has an inflated value. This isn't like shopping for a car, etc. There aren't any sales going on and the markup is full retail plus $$$.

17. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Speaking of all of the Alabama players several of the posters on Gator Country don't want, Alabama's starting left tackle, Kadyn Proctor, is reportedly entering the transfer portal. He will be a true sophomore next year. Do you think UF should enter a bidding war for him?

18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    No. Those in the transfer portal who haven’t seen much action and/or have an inflated value is who we are not targeting. We ARE targeting those that were maybe undervalued throughout most of the collegiate career that have a lot of tape & production on their resume. AND who are not trying to create a bidding war.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t know about a bidding war, but we should definitely be interested. We don’t need their bench players, though

• Like Like x 1
  20. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    You should probably follow a team that spends a lot more than UF.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.