Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Robinson Released From LOI

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 16, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I'm talking about reality here. Here's another reality for you. I read the article about the 5 Alabama transfers going to FSU on Microsoft News. In fact, it's been mentioned in more than one article. I'm seeing a positive angled article about FSU just about every day. UF is being beaten by FSU publicity-wise, too!!! Stuff like that is just pissing me off!! I don't want to take a back seat to FSU in anything!!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    IMG_9959.jpeg
    Are you debating with yourself?

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    There's at least one reason those guys were backups at Alabama. Alabama has been one of the top teams in the country and has a very deep, very talented roster. You're making it seem like these players aren't any good. Just stop it. BTW, I wonder how many Alabama transfers UF offered scholarships to when they were in high school?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 4
  4. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I'm adding context to my post. I guess I should've just edited my post. I'm sorry you didn't notice that.

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol, ok FSU has struck gold with Bama 3rd stringers that by and large have been there multiple years without playing. Please feel to go into detail and inform us all how talented each on is (fyi, what they did in high school doesn't count since I'm sure that's your next step)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gringoloco

gringoloco Sophomore

Jan 9, 2024
    Yeah — and it wouldn’t be the first time prioritizing short-term gains over long-term sustainability has bitten people in the butt.

I also believe that locker room chemistry is a real thing, and throwing bags of money at every new guy who comes along can lead to problems with incumbent players who were bought 2 years ago at a lower price. Keeping everyone happy has got to be a challenge for all teams even before NIL — I still like our position of refusing to get into bidding wars. The only problem here is getting spoiled impatient fans to recognize the mess that 3 bad coaching hires created over an entire decade, and give Coach Napier time to fix it his way. It will work over time and will likely be more sustainable in the longer term.

Even the most impatient fan in this forum won’t deny the virtues of stability

p.s. — did you appreciate my reference to Silver King a day or two ago? :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    Exactly. I'll give them all the props in the world if they land Downs, but so far the best Bama transfers have gone elsewhere

• Like Like x 1
  8. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    We are not going to chase after guys that got a Benz & a 250k check 2 cycles ago because they signed with another. And we shouldn’t. Now, they’re shopping again for the highest payout. Sorry …it’s just not smart to play that game. Especially when they didn’t do anything to earn it last time around.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I'm disturbed by the growing number who have a "win at all costs" mentality and think buying players is the answer to everything.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    How good have our transfers from Georgia been for us? Cox, Mitchel, kimber?

It doesn't mean Bama doesn't have some good players to pull from the portal but it's not some guarantee or even close to it just because they played there. As APK illustrated earlier, the guys fsu got aren't even some young up and comers who sat behind talent. Most have just simply not been able to make an impact at all. Their best have gone elsewhere so far.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    If ClemPson had a kicker, they win the game. Their walk on kicker had left the team and Dabo got him to return the week of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly.....the only logical way to do this is look at each individual player. What have they done in college, what is their potential, how much eligibility is left, how do they fit needs/system, and of course how much do they cost? R Williams may be a nice pickup for FSU at RB, for UF I love the 2 signees we got to join the existing room.....he wouldn't make sense for UF. You have to do this for each player.....just saying FSU got 5 Bama players is mindless

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    They aren't. Downs is going to OSU.

I hope we get Robinson. I like what I've heard about him

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Cox and Kimber from Georgia are good examples of what you get as portal trash from Georgia. Just because they were highly rated out of hs doesn’t mean they are good. They couldn’t make the two deep.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Glad we gave Lagway a bag though. He’s wasn’t greedy and do the bidding war thing but you still have to buy your roster either way.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    They were starters for UF, though. Multiyear starters, I believe. Damion George was a starter last year, too. UF needs all of the help it can get. We're not in the position where we can call reserves from Alabama, Georgia or other playoff contending colleges trash, at least not yet. Spend the money to get as many of the best rated players possible and weed out the performers from the non-performers. That goes for both high school recruits and transfer portal recruits. This is what will be necessary going forward in order for teams to compete for championships. It doesn't look like UF is doing either thing right now.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    247 CB to the Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    They're reserves because they're playing behind some of the best players in college football. Are you thinking Alabama and Georgia's reserves are worse than ours? If you're thinking that you're delusional. The reserves from those two teams that you call trash started here!! That is fact!!! I think we paid those guys to come here too. That's how bad UF has become. We need any and all of the help we can get!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They were trash. I said it. Just because we suck doesn’t mean anything. We were so bad they started.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have a question for y'all. Are NIL contracts normally year to year or are they normally multiyear contracts?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.