Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

RIP Laken Riley

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Feb 24, 2024.

1. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    So .... this is really bad:

Wanted rapist, illegal immigrant released from Martin County Jail: Sheriff speaks out (cbs12.com)

"Juan Jose-Sebastian, 26 from Guatemala, was arrested mid-February for driving without a license. We’re now learning that the same man has been wanted in Oregon since 2017 on multiple counts of rape and sexual abuse.

Snyder said because U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) won’t take custody of him, they have to release him. As of Friday, he now walks free.

“The main issue is I should not be having to deal with undocumented immigrants who may have a warrant as we're seeing right now. I have to release into my community,” Snyder said.

And, this is not a good look for a progressive haven like Oregon. I guess prosecution of rape is not as important as providing needles to intravenous drug users in Portlandia.

Fugitive Rape Suspect to be Released in Florida Due to ICE Refusal to Extradite (shorenewsnetwork.com)

Sheriff William Snyder announced that due to decisions by ICE not to take custody and Oregon’s refusal to extradite from Florida, the Martin County Sheriff’s Office has no legal grounds to detain Jose-Sebastian further.

Jose-Sebastian, an undocumented immigrant from Guatemala, had completed his sentence for the traffic offense when the sheriff’s office was informed of the warrant. However, jurisdictional and policy limitations will see him released into the community, raising concerns about the implications of such decisions on public safety and legal enforcement.

Recommended for You

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You don't understand how this works (I do, I handled extraditions for the Hillsborough County State Attorneys Office when I served as a felony division chief) so it's easy for someone to write an article that gets the uninformed all worked up. Congrats, you fell for it....again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    • Like Like x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Well, for one, it’s hard to stop someone who is a US citizen from killing someone. The difference in the Laken Riley case is it was entirely preventable because he entered our country illegally.

the Soto murder is very sad. I hope that guy is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    20240302_142538.jpg

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Of course, once all the (estimated 8-9 million+) employed illegal immigrants were removed, we would face the choice of either watching our economy grind to a halt, or enacting a program to basically welcome them back under some form of documentation or registration. It's safe to assume the latter.

Then we'd have essentially the exact same people in our country. (Unless we did something more interesting and tried to outsource the millions of jobs to people invited from India, the Philippines or Asia.)

In any case, we'd be facing the same issues as now, as we'd essentially have a same or similar labor force in our country, who would have basically a same or similar levels of criminality.

Which is why all of the performative theater fake outrage from the right is so hilarious. Moreso considering that their political hero just torpedoed the best compromise chance at border/immigration improvement in recent memory. And even MORESO because their political hero had 4 years in office and did nothing but kick the can down the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    lol @ the “recommended for you” at the bottom. Nice information silo you’ve built for yourself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It’s amazing some people think if you want a secure border that you voted for trump. I have never voted for trump and I want a secure border. Securing the border so that only people we have vetted and aren’t violent criminals would be a start. Reinstate stay in Mexico would be a huge help as well as actually building a wall along with using AI and video surveillance as well as increasing the number of border agents. Then the odds of illegals killing innocent women will go down significantly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Everybody should just go back where they (or their ancestors) came from, and this country should start over from scratch. Now we'll know how to do it right. Starting from the east coast, westward ho the wagons! (Or moving vans or whatever.) As for the "southern border," most all of the land down there will belong to Mexico again like before. We'll just have to take it all from them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Securing the border has NOTHING to do with perpetuating false hate-mongering myths about immigrants committing crime at a higher level than citizens. You're essentially embracing LYING.

To say nothing about the fact that the Trumppublican party just torpedoed a major chance at improving border/immigration improvement.

Not really. The odds of crime by "vetted" people would go up almost proportionately. You're still doing the hate-mongering myth thing.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Seems security at the southern border and knowing who is entering the US would be an objective of all responsible and reasonable US citizens.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Including the Trumppublicans who just shot down a compromise immigration/border bill ?

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Wow, it’s only 10am and you have dumbest post of the day locked up. Congrats.

That bill was a joke. This is when I can tell someone is blatantly partisan. Biden could stop the flow of people crossing tomorrow if he wanted to. Now hustle back to msnbc and get some more talking points.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Really? That’s your take about people actually wanting a secure border? Thanks for letting me know you aren’t up for a serious conversation. Noted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks for letting me know that you have no sense of humor. Noted.

17. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    "Talking points." Deep.

You go run along now and tell some more lies about how excessively criminal illegal immigrants are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It’s really easy, if this person wasn’t let in the country, then Laken Riley would still be alive today. The rest is just you making up shit.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

This is simple. If this illegal wasn’t in our country Laken Riley would still be alive today. The rest is you rationalizing it. Good look there sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1