Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

RIP Laken Riley

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator515151, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    These "Non-Citizens" simply have to be dealt with.

The suspect does not have an “extensive” criminal history, according to Clark. Ibarra is a resident of Athens, but not a US citizen or a student at UGA, he added. There was no evidence the two knew each other, according to Clark.

Ibarra’s brother was charged federally Friday night with possessing a fraudulent green card and is in state custody, according to a news release from the US Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Georgia.

Diego Ibarra, 29, who is from Venezuela like his brother and is undocumented, is charged with possession of a fraudulent document and faces up to 10 years in prison, the release says.

‘Blood of Laken Riley is on the hands of Joe Biden:’ Georgia politicians react to murder at UGA

Laken Riley case: Georgia authorities identify murder suspect in custody in nursing student's slaying

Laken Riley: Suspect in University of Georgia killing didn’t know victim and is not a student on the campus, police say | CNN

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Its the system that needs to be fixed. When you have a great country that does truly give equal opportunity to thrive and someone with a successful life, you will have people who want to come here. Legal citizens commit crimes with or without a record all the time. The way we need to "deal" with the illegal immigrants who are here is to offer them a way to stay permanently. If you offer an easy path to citizenship to those who are already here, the hard working ones will line up and become citizens while the ones we actually want to and should deport, will most likely try to stay illegal. Those people we can find and remove them and deport them. Ask Alabama and other states/cities that go on mass deportation runs. Its simply not something that goes over well because like it or not, immigrants from South America are ready and willing to work the jobs that most Americnas wouldnt touch for the wages offered.

With that said, we need a strong southern boarder and not because of illegal immigrants coming to live and work, its more so about keeping bad people out from all countries. We need to know who is coming in and its not simply good ole folks who just want to find a better place to live.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Faster deportation was part of the immigration bill that Trump and the Republicans just tanked ...

Here's what the GOP negotiator had to say about it ...

Lankford, the chief GOP negotiator, touted the asylum and immigration changes in the legislation.

“The border security bill will put a huge number of new enforcement tools in the hands of a future administration and push the current Administration to finally stop the illegal flow,” he said in a statement. “The bill provides funding to build the wall, increase technology at the border, and add more detention beds, more agents, and more deportation flights. The border security bill ends the abuse of parole on our southwest border that has waived in over a million people. It dramatically changes our ambiguous asylum laws by conducting fast screenings at a higher standard of evidence, limited appeals, and fast deportation.”

It's too bad that the republicans don't actually care about changing the laws to weed out the bad apples quicker ... they just want to keep the occassional murders going so they'll have something to pretend to be mad about.

• Like x 4
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Only the best?

6. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Venezuela won’t accept deportees back in their country. I didn’t realize it was as easy as just saying no.

7. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Honestly these threads just make me laugh now at the faux outrage after republicans tanked their own bill. What about our Israeli allies have literally killed 11,500 children in the past few months and all you guys can do is poop on liberals that show the slightest bit of hesitancy about supporting the slaughter in Gaza and then republicans hilariously claim that frozen embryos need protection lol. You also don’t care about gun control - 20000 gun murders in the us each year. Over 70,000 people shot and survive every year. But omg an illegal commits a crime and it deserves its own thread. My god the hypocrisy is just too much for me. The picking and choosing of outrage is crazy.

I’ll add that the story is obviously very sad. I feel for the family but seriously just like conservatives get mad about media pushing white on black violence conservative media does the exact same stuff with immigrants.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. gatormonk

Apr 3, 2007
    20240224_194355.jpg
    Honest mistake.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There was a similar problem back in the early '80s with Marielitos who were convicted of crimes in the US. After they served their time here Cuba refused to accept them when we tried to deport them back to the Island.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Technically Hispanic or Latino isn't a race it's an ethnic category although the two have been conflated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    OT but the CNN closed captions called her "Lincoln Riley." (Just like Ron DeSantis is "Rhonda Santos" and Fani Willis's Hapeville condo is "hate-filled condo.") Does someone just listen and type that stuff phonetically or what?

12. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    It's amazing how you could apply this standard to senseless gun deaths or even deaths from lack of available medical care but the GOP only wants to talk about these deaths as tragic as they are.

The border is the GOP's issue now as they refused to pass the bill to address it. Let's stop acting like they care at all about this issue as anything but an issue to run on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Everything Trump touches turns to sh*t, and it looks like that's going to include Americn democracy itself. It's astounding to see Americans want to cover themselves with Trump excrement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. gatormonk

Apr 3, 2007

15. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Has the Senate or the House passed a clean immigration only bill in the past few weeks? Didn’t democrats control both the Senate and House in 2022-3023? Why wasn’t immigration reform addressed during that period of control?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  16. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I'm going to think about Democracy and human rights.

How about a drunk driver who killed an innocent young girl out with her friends? This is a tragedy, they all are. No picking and choosing here.

RIP Emma Keown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Oh I will. That's why the GOP has lost my vote.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, I've heard the theory that historically Democrats have not wanted an immigration bill because immigrants mean votes, so the more the merrier. I don't know about Republicans historically, but in any case the old Republican Party is dead. The GOP doesn't want an immigration bill now because Donald Trump says don't do it. And Lord knows you don't cross your cult leader, who has a narcissistic personality disorder of the most malignant kind. His reign of "retribution" looks set to start next year. So get down and grovel, Republicans!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    • Agree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  19. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    all of this. Spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Apparently, Jose Ibarra was in trouble while living in NYC …..,

“On Sunday, Lindsay Williams, a spokesperson for ICE, stated U.S. Customs and Border Protection had previously arrested Ibarra in September of 2022. She adds that he "was paroled and released for further processing."

Williams added that nearly a year later, Ibarra was arrested by New York Police and charged with "acting in a manner to injure a child less than 17 and a motor vehicle license violation." However, she noted he was released by police before a detainer could be issued. “

Jose Antonio Ibarra arrested in Laken Riley's death | wthr.com

Seemingly, Ibarra was released by NY officials without notifying ICE of his arrest and charges.

• Informative Informative x 2