Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Rich Men North of Richmond

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatoragman, Aug 18, 2023.

1. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    I am on board with what we have currently in many aspects of our government in our lives is not working. I don't profess to have the answers and even if I did, I wouldn't expect it to happen without compromise. The problem we have today is, if the idea comes from the other side, we need to automatically dismiss it rather than debating it and coming to a compromise. Thes best bills to pass usually are when around a third of both sides don't like it. So absolutely I am up for debate on a new health insurance system, but totally government provided? No. Some hybrid in middle, sure. Obamacare had a lot of promise but when the pubs were completely locked out of the debate it is doomed to fail. Not just because it is bad legislation, but half the country wants it to fail. GO TEAM!! Say the same thing when the pubs are in charge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    A qanon guy I know posted on Facebook a few days ago saying "you gotta see this music video that Google and YouTube are burying from search results." I went back and looked, and am not surprised at all he was talking about this video.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Rap remix

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I totally agree with you on several points. For starters, we need our politicians to start remembering they are working for our Country, not their Party. Once they realize that, the problems and divide will start to solve themselves.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    The song is clearly about DC politicians/agencies. DC is, in fact, North of Richmond. DC is not, in fact, North of the Mason-Dixon Line. But, type whatever you want to fit your narrative.

• Winner Winner x 5
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Neither the message nor the musical aspects of it are good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Its funny how easy it is to be a conservative entertainer, just call yourself "The Marine Rapper" or be a plus-size Ed Sheeran singing about how mad you are about slighly fatter people

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    The first and last line:

“I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day / Overtime hours for bullshit pay.”

The slocala analysis:

1. “Sellin’ my soul”. Singer acknowledges complicit actions with the situation he or she is in.
    2. “Workin all day”. That seems impossible. No one can work all day. So, it’s hyperbole that the singer believes he or she is working all day. but wants to have personal time for personal endeavors.
    3. “Overtime”. Implies that the singer is an hourly worker. Well, if government doesn’t mandate overtime pay, companies would have to chose to pay overtime to entice workers. Does the singer belong to a union that negotiated the overtime? It’s not clear
    4. “BS pay”. My favorite. Jobs everywhere and the singer is saying it’s BS and deserves more. Why? The market bares a cost and that is the singer’s value to the bottom line.

the rest of the song is a list of societally grievances that have nothing to do with the first and last line about his or her particular choices:
    1. Control
    2. Inflation
    3. Taxes
    4. Minors (clever pun)
    5. Homeless
    6. Welfare

What do these societal grievances have to do with the singer’s own problems, including apparently drinking him or herself to sleep? Blaming the government for his or her problems. What happened to the Ayn Rand Objectivism go getter done bs?

The Lyrics to Oliver Anthony's 'Rich Men North of Richmond' | Here Are the Lyrics to Oliver Anthony's 'Rich Men North of Richmond'

• Like Like x 3
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I like the way the guy sings and plays his song, but the lyrics don't seem to have anything to do with rich men north of Richmond. It seems to more about shaming fat people who are on welfare.

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I know the song is about politicians and I know where DC is. I expressed how the title strikes me, not what the song is about. I'm sorry that the difference is beyond your comprehension.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 GC Legend

Jan 5, 2010
    Get your common sense take outta here. Must dislike anything the other side promotes /s

Sadly i don't see politicians really working together. There is no money or power, and most likely voted out.

Really wish to see term limits. 8 years total for senate and house. Maybe we will get folks who actually care how to govern.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Just my 1cent on your last point--not arguing with you.

I don't think term limits would solve anything about pols not caring or not working together (might possibly make things worse by appealing to more extremes).

Different than w/presidents where power is faiap vested in a single person--hence limiting the time that person has to wield it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Wow
    The song is clearly a complaint anthem against the politics of the day making the struggle of the Everyman much harder. Not right or left. Dems or Republicans. Libs or cons.
    And yet some on this thread just can’t help themselves.. gotta be my team vs yours.
    Score them points!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Too many of them are working for their damn selves. Cha$Ching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Sounds like this singer is very pro-union.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Lol. you touched a nerve.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I think he's got a great voice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I dislike country and bluegrass music, so it does nothing for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    They've done studies into term limits, and they actually make things worse. Politicians become less receptive to their constituents and more reliant on lobbyists and the third-party groups that create legislation. If we all want things to get better, then we need to start acting like it. Start encouraging decent people to run and start punishing the bad actors by not reelecting them. That's how we make democracy work for us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Most of it does but there's a lot of great insurgent/alt country and bluegrass, much of it from labels like Bloodshot, Rounder and Fat Possum.

Here's a great bluegrass track.

• Like Like x 2