Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Return series in NY against St Johns?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by TheBoss, Feb 22, 2024.

1. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    A D1 Baseball note about the wasted series against St Johns, mentioned the series is home and home and Gators will travel to NY next year. My first reaction is I hope they can get the SEC to juggle the schedule to let them play it in late April or later. My second thought is I hope to arrange to make the trip. My third- and lowest priority- wish is to make my second trip to Yankee Stadium to catch a game there, but a Mets game is a nice fall back. When I was in high school in Jax, they had the Mets' AAA farm team and a promising young pitcher named Seaver, chances are he's not still with the Mets. Maybe I can include a trip to Cooperstown to see his plaque and some others.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Cooperstown is a great trip. If you’ve never been you should plan on a full day to get to see everything it has to offer.

3. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Is that true that we're going there next year? O'Sullivan has literally never played a scheduled non-conference game outside the state of Florida.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah that’s wild. Can’t remember if we did one under Arnold/Lopez/McMahon either.

Gotta think this series would be scheduled as late as possible… right?

5. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    We opened in Hawaii one of the Lopez years. I think that's the last one, but I'm not positive on that.

6. nattygator

nattygator Freshman

Oct 14, 2017
    I don't think the D1 Baseball writer, Eric Sorenson, who wrote this is saying it will actually happen. He says, "Remember my old rule where if a ranked team brings a mid-major team down from the snow and loses the series, they are required to go play up at that opponents home field the following season?"

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Wonder if w/ expansion, there is an off SEC weekend later in year.. if not , bundle up.

8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I was curious so looked from 80-2000

No Hawaii I saw, but here are the out of state non SEC reg season games I found.

'86 Ok St . weekend series in middle of SEC play.. played tOSU at home following 2.

'87 & '91 in New Orleans vs Tulane and LSU(non conf)

'89 LBST, return series.

None were opening weekend

oops missed 2 mid weekers in Mobile in 1990 vs UNO & S Miss back to back days

NM at Hawaii in 2000 lol guess i never clicked on that year..and it was opener..played the JV team first..lol

That appears to be last time.. I got through 2018, but site taking forever to refresh each year,, got annoyed..lol

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024