Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Religious councilman destroys argument for putting the ten command,ents in a classroom

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jan 23, 2024.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You said "money".

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tilly

Not sheltered at all. As i said above, I was referring to the pics in a vacuum. I tend to agree that too much info is not good.

Pics of a previous event are a little different and thats what I was addressing.

I can assure you I probably (like yourself) see more than I would like. Sadly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    It does not take much thoughtlessly released information to establish a trail that can lead a curious person right to doorstep of another. It happened to me through a very few scattered posts I made on Too Hot and The Pub. I have never used or posted our last name, and only given the shortened first name of our eldest, who is a physician.

Several years ago one of our trustworthy posters posted words of encouragement on the Pub's cancer thread telling me he had family members living near members of my own family. I have a daughter in Austin. And he said he lives in the town where my son had completed his surgical residency. I knew I had never posted where my son did his residency training, but saw from his GC profile he did indeed live in that city.

I contacted him by PM, saying I was curious as to how he had determined my son had completed his residency in this man's city. He sent me a detailed reply as to how he finds contact information for people in his line of work. Using google to connect a very few mentions and associations found on the 'Net he determined our last name. No harm was intended; he is an honorable man. But it opened my eyes to how easily people of ill intent can determine the identity and location of their target.

Don't foolishly or irresponsibly share traceable aspects of your lives. Given the opportunity there are people who would do you and yours great harm. Don't give them such an opportunity.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Can you point to a source for this information -- where "prophets" mentioned that god was the creator -- that isn't a religious text?

I mean, this a bit of circular logic, anyway ....

How do you know the god of the Bible was the creator?
    Because Prophets said so.
    How do you know they said that?
    Because it's in the Bible?

Seriously?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Some Christian smashed a Satanic Temple statue placed legally on public display -- probably due to their own insecurity about their religion -- so I think you need to look inwards at who would be most upset ... but for the record, religion doesn't belong in schools or goverment buildings ... keep that crap in your churches.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Seems like a distinction without meaning. Do you know anyone who has "faith" and "believes in god" but does not consider themselves religious?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Lots.

Many ppl today reject religion while believing in a higher being, are spiritual without being religious, and pray their own way to what or whom only they seem to know.

Meanwhile you sound like a dogmatic atheist, who would pretend how one may not believe in God, a god, or gods...or spiritual beings or force...

8. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks for posting this, twitter links are blocked by my browser.

I'm not going to respond to the whole thing, though there were a lot of problems with what he said. I'll just give a couple of examples.

Timestamp 4:39 Talarico asks, Are you worried that this is idolatrous? I don't remember what her answer was but, here's the thing, the commandments were originally placed in a golden ark and stored in a temple and we're not talking about the temple's janitor closet, either. They were stored in the Most Holy Place. And yet, he would have us believe that a piece of paper on the wall is idolatry? That's the kind of argument that probably sounds very intelligent to someone who hasn't actually read the Bible.

Matthew 6. Don't pray, in public, to be seen by others but go into your closet where only God sees. So far so good, but then he turns right around and talks about bills to "feed the poor"...I believe that's also covered in Matthew 6 under the same heading of doing good to be seen by men, isn't it?

Perhaps Mister Talarico should read what Jesus said about planks and specks in the eye.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    You speak of “progressive Christians not needing…”

I will concede that you think you have your needs figured out. However, what you think you need and what you actually need are not the same thing. You seem confident you have figured all of that out. I do not believe anything I will say will dissuade you off your opinion here, so I will let you be in that.

As for children and their needs you have missed the mark as to what their true needs are. You speak of food in the belly. The serpent offered Eve food in the belly. The devil offered Jesus food in the belly. Jesus rebuked the devil and said, “Man should not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”

When the woman stood there before those politicians and she said, “But people need this” she was not wrong. That IMO was the most faithful Christian statement made in that video. Was it articulate? No. Did it get the same publicity as the man rebuking the Christian woman as an idolater? No. Did it win the applause of non-Christians? No. Was any fame earned by her for those words? No. The woman was right, though, on that one point, and Jesus would at least defend that statement, “But people need this.”

Children need every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. And we don’t give that to them. So, there is a famine in the land. And it is not a famine for lack of food in belly, but a famine where children lack knowledge of every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. That spiritual famine in the land has real consequences on people’s lives. Souls are lost for eternity. Souls are sifted like wheat by the devil.

Deuteronomy 11 mentions a command to write God’s commandments on the doorposts and in the gates. Do you think Deuteronomy 11 is about “virtue signaling?” I don’t. The scriptures are so important that the Israelites were commanded to put them places such as that. It was to keep their minds in meditation on the spiritual food of God’s word.

You can disagree with the woman on constitutional grounds. I do too, but there are several Christians here who all agree the man’s response was seriously objectionable. His response smacks of the social gospel, which shuts up and closes off eternity for people by robbing them of the real gospel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Just had another record year. Must be doing something right…

11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It is the same group that instead of moving on has to try and take a shot at me.

It is really odd to be honest.

12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I am more concerned about people trying to defame our practice like a lawyer here has done before (all because of a political disagreement). Posting some pics of App State with the family from the past has really upset a few lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

Hey Q, you should tell them that your kids are all good shots, so anyone who tries to harm them will get lead poisoning. That'll get the thread fired up. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tilly

I just think its weird that people are worried about what someone sees 1000 miles away, yet you would tell the stranger at Publix your full name if they asked in all likelihood and that person could walk to your house with just info that existed in the Bellsouth phone book back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    The world of today is much changed from the world many of us experienced as children. It's more politically charged and not as safe as it was when I could ride my bicycle on most any street in Gainesville, talk to strangers, and not feel intimidated or threatened.

In a poll taken before the pandemic "84% of people surveyed said Americans are angrier today compared with a generation ago, according to the latest NPR-IBM Watson Health poll.

"When asked about their own feelings, 42% of those polled said they were angrier in the past year than they had been further back in time."

Angry people act irrationally and the plethora of personal information available on the 'Net leaves unguarded people defenseless and vulnerable to all sorts of cyber attacks. Swatting and doxing, unheard of a few years ago, are real threats in todays dysfunctional, more violent world.

No one raising caution flags over this is 'trying to take a shot' at Q. Certainly not me. But people who post pictures of their 2nd homes, vacations, and successes can instill envy and resentment in others. Q's freely shared personal information and his perceived intractable positions on several forum topics have raised his online profile.

My posts, and the posts of others on this topic are cautions. There are bad people around us, a lot closer than 1000 miles away as this is is a Florida based board.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. tilly

Stats show kids are safer today.
    Just one example I saw recently said missing children cases are down 40%.

One reason that public profiles are likely not a big deal is because a criminal would be leaving an easy trace in their web history if they used social media/TooHot as their yool....A trace almost impossible to erase.

Photos posted after after an even,t with no pattern attached, really pose little if any threat.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Exactly. This is just another poster that does not know me...taking a shot at me because they don't like my politics. And then those part of that group just piling on. I find it interesting that if @swampbabe (and all those that have piled on since) was/were so concerned. Why did they not DM me to share their concern and instead decided to go public in an attacking tone?

I know why!!! We all know why!!! Which is why I do not take much from @lacuan and the attempt to act like this is some concern for me. $20 says their kids and grandkids (depending on age as we have grown with social media and technology) will have a cell phone before our oldest did. And our oldest is still not allowed to have social media accounts. But that is besides the point. Everyone is going to parent differently. This was just cheap shots on a public forum. Weak sauce from the weak minded is all I can say. I tried to add some congeniality to a thread that had a side topic in Boone as we had been there recently. Instead it turned into a lets bash Q personally. Sadly it is the MO for a certain group of posters here.

18. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I think it is ironic how all of this played out in a thread where people are up in arms about Christians putting the 10 commandments in a classroom. I guess the issue isn't cramming commandments down on people. It is only when the commandments come from God that it is a problem apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Tilly, I can't help but think you are taking a somewhat cavalier attitude about cyber stalking. Yes, Gator Country is equipped with a search feature as are most or many websites on the Internet. But zeroing in on this one website, or confining this discussion to the posts of one poster should not deter from the overall point. People unhinged enough to cyberstalk another person with malicious intent to harm will not be discouraged or prevented from doing it because of a search feature. And there are ways around it I am told. You and I both know a number of people posting on this site disguise their identities by rerouting their posts to obscure the source.

Don't wait to shut and lock the barn door until after the horse is stolen. It's always better to take self protective measures to prevent looting or theft before the crime occurs. Overall less aggravation; less grief; less regret.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Not everyone believes that the 10 Commandments came from god, and even many who do believe that recognize the First Amendment issue with public schools endorsing and promoting religion.