Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Religious councilman destroys argument for putting the ten command,ents in a classroom

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Jan 23, 2024.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Has there been a big push to place Buddha statues in all classrooms?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You can believe in religion (I, in fact, do). But the guy is claiming that events that only exist in religious texts are not religious. That is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Lol. As so I. Ive taught them to not post locations etc, but the pics from Malibu teo weeks ago are pretty safe and that is all that Q has done here.

If he were live posting with location, that would be different.

Do you not have any pics of your kids on some vacation on your social media?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    And know what school they go to as well, as he's posted that information in the past. Agree, it's dumb to plaster pictures of your family on a political message board, but to each their own I guess.

5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Is your social media set to private, though?

This site is not private and if someone DID want to be a creep you now have a picture, a hometown, what their mother does for a living, and the fact that they are a HS student that plays softball. These are all things that have been posted here.

6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Q has given us enough information to recognize his children, find his home, and know when he and his wife are away from their home. I find that to be incredibly irresponsible. YMMV.

Given his posting track record, I'm honestly surprised his wife hasn't made him take down anything identifying her dental practice from his profile and posts. But maybe she doesn't know?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I see. You were correct, not official until 1956. Though it went back at least to CW. In any event, my initial point still stands, as it remains our natinoal motto:

36 USC 302: National motto

and was even reaffirmed by Senat in '06 (50th anniversary), and in 2011 by H/R.

8. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    There is also a difference between coins and bills.

9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007

***RABBIT HOLE WARNING***

Dude lives for rabbit holes.

"Ignore" is the proper home for rabbit holers.

Course that's just me...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have not read through the complete thread so forgive me if I am repeating what others have said. But I depart in considering this effective apologetics or political advocacy. In saying that, I think that Mr. Talarico is absolutely correct theologically, constitutionally and just as a matter of human ethics. And I also appreciate the encomium, originally from the Jesuits but modeled on St. Paul's invocation of the anonymous God as a tool for evangelization, to meet people where they are.

So I applaud his attempt to meet the proponents of the bill where he thinks they are, i.e., moved by Christian belief, loyal to the Constitution, and sensitive to Christian ethics. But they are not in that meeting location.

The movement that wants the Decalogue in schools has no concern for the Constitution as written other than as a means to obtain power, believes there are no rights of conscience or praxis for those that disagree, and most assuredly believe their selected Christian totems are paramount as a sign of Dominion, the Seven Mountains, etc. He and the speaker were talking past each other when he invokes charity or love for others of differing belief. Certainly they are not of the same mind about opposing “indoctrination”.

He is conflating, possibly as a rhetorical device, sincere Christian belief aimed at leading a Christian life and perhaps creating a closer approximation to the Kingdom of God, with Christian Nationalism, an umbrella term that that best captures "Political Christianity" in this moment and bears nothing in common with former other than a root term in self-identification. It does not come from anything good.

There is no meeting occurring in that exchange. She will not be deterred by invocations of Christianity, because is not coming from that place or value or belief.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's funny how many times our entire goverment from local to federal praises GOD in one way or another. And still these secular atheists love to conflate man made religious dogma with the word of GOD... in the Ten Commandments.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  12. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There you go again.

13. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Didn’t ask about, don’t know, and don’t care about any such push. I’m just wondering if folks would be opposed to the Ten Commandments in schools if they came from Buddha …. but you knew that.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Well, they seem pretty opposed to Buddha's actual teachings being in there, given that you can't find any evidence of Buddhist symbolism being pushed into classrooms either.

15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Similar to the people who insist on putting those stick figure decals on their rear windows that tell the pervs how many kids they have, their sexes and relative ages. It's like advertising what's on the buffet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    An event that only happened...according to religious dogma.

17. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    You're isolating on one post. He has posted his wife's full name, her profession, where his kids go to school, what sports they play, photographs of them, until it was wrecked what kind of car his daughter was going to be driving. It all seems OK...until it's not. I see the worst of some people in my profession and I agree completely with @swampbabe 's position. I was in court in another county Monday. The case before mine was a guy getting sentenced for fellating an 18 month old child and sending photos of him doing it to several people. I'm sure that child's parents thought it was OK to leave their baby with him...until it wasn't.

Tilly, perhaps you are just more sheltered from this stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Well, there’d be no “push” and the related controversy ….. when there’s no resistance to Buddhist philosophy being placed on walls of public schools. I know I wouldn’t resist it. But that’s not the point as I’m questioning whether or not there would be any opposition to the Ten Commandments, specifically, being placed in schools if they were not given by the Judeo-Christian God.

I sincerely believe in the Unite State this effort to keep the Ten Commandments out of schools is in substance anti-Christian in the form of anti-religion.

19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Since nobody resists it, there must be tons of Buddhist philosophy on the walls of public school. Any evidence to support that?

Heck, find me any religious doctrine from any other religion that is mandated to be on the walls of schools. Then you can complain about disparate treatment. Until then, it is just trying to blunt criticism of those that actually are trying to push religious doctrine into public school by trying to claim (without evidence) that the people opposing it wouldn't oppose somebody doing the same for a different religion, when nobody from that religion is trying to do it, and, thus, without evidence.

BTW, both I and the person from this video are Christians. Opposing the mandated placement of religious doctrine into schools is not in opposition to Christianity, and is, thus, not anti-Christian.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

To be clear. I am speaking of the pics in a vacuum. That is what was originally stated.

I think the pics alone are normal and harmless.