Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Regardless of Billy’s lack of results on field

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by username, Sep 3, 2024.

1. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Does anybody else feel like if we are able to hire a good offensive mind as HC and then retain the existing cornerstones (Lagway, incoming WR class, for example) we are set up to win immediately after nape is gone?

Watching Napiers “program building” aspects has always led me to believe that he will be filling the coffers for the next guy, worst case scenario. Obviously anything can happen with the TP/NIL but I think we might be set up very well next year, assuming a proper coaching staff is hired.
    Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    The problem will be the vultures circling to feast on the meat of our roster...

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I think it would be extremely difficult to keep Lagway and some of the current/incoming WRs with a new head coach. It almost seems as if players are waiting for a reason to transfer nowadays. Maybe it’s ’grass Is greener’ syndrome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Billy did many good things about the systems and logistics surrounding and supporting the program. I also think he's made inroads in recruiting in state that changed things for the better in comparison to our last two staffs. And I do think our talent level has improved. There's a lot of good in a general sense but very little to show for it on the field. It's definitely my hope that the right coach can put these better pieces together in a much more effective way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    uga, bama, et al will be poaching for sure but that should not drive the decision.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Everyone remembers that Urban inherited a lot of talent from Zook's excellent recruiting. But it seems overlooked at how demoralized and ineffective that talent was before Urban turned things around. Players like Dallas Baker and Ray MacDonald were very frank that they were considering transferring or quitting before he came but the new staff transformed everything and they were so glad they stayed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Until they get quality guys in the trenches this program is going to struggle against good teams.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  8. SewaneeGator

Apr 8, 2007
    And the portal works both ways. The right guy could, despite who we might lose, radically transform the roster for the better--like the lines--in very short order.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I think a lane kiffin/urban hire fixes those issues immediately. People won’t leave them. The hire is crucial of course but not sure why Lagway and a bunch of good WRs wouldn’t want to be coached by a proven offensive mind like Kiffin is, and like urban always hires as his OCs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    And why wouldn’t an overlooked OL want to play for Kiffin or Urban? Honestly the answer could be on our roster. We are SUPPOSED to have a ton of young OL talent, just none elite. But obviously way better than what has been displayed so far

11. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    Norvell did that last year. His problem is he didnt sustain it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    A home run hire would definitely help.
    I hope some big boosters are already in lagways ear about what’s next.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Would you feel comfortable with your commitment after hearing about how much better we were going to be and seeing the same old shit?

We as fans are at the breaking point. And we aren't the ones who have to stake our potential future on where we play in college.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gatorogue

gatorogue Junior

Jul 15, 2009
    Agreed. But the recruiting has improved and the players are better. The on field performance is lacking. As I’ve said I like Mertz. He can make the short passes in BN’s pedestrian scheme but that’s it. He’s solid and a leader but not the ringer UF needs at the QB position. He’s not the guy. Time to move on to DJ for the rest of the season. And DJ needs coaching help. And BN’s not the guy. The Gators need an actual offensive scheme run by a real offensive coach. Replace BN with an interim coach. There’s no way that the coaching staff does not include an individual who has the respect of players and the other coaches. An individual who is primed to go and understands what it will take to utilize the talent on this team. There’s got to be someone. SOS said to do things differently. Start now. I guarantee the players and maybe some coaches are talking. BN is a likable guy but he’s not the guy. Keeping him on is simply accelerating the program’s death spiral, and inflicting more damage. It’s year three already. No more evidence is needed.
    Go Gators.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Meh. The SEC is tough and contrary to popular belief it often does take some time to get a program turned around. That said, if the roster isn't completely gutted by transfers I think the next guy will be walking into a pretty decent situation.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    We do not have quality players in the trenches but some coaches are really good at squeezing out what they can. Our 2006 championship team did not have quality players on the OL as far as the NFL is concerned, but Urban Meyer has historically been a really good OL head coach and he had those guys playing well as a unit. Look at what Boston College just did to FSU. Bill O'Brien is a similarly good OL head coach. We don't just need a coach with fancy play calls. We need someone who can make our trench players punch above their weight.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    On the flip side (trying to find a silver lining), get a good coach on a good team and he could bring some elite players with him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    Transfer portal and NIL don't allow you ato stock the cupboard. It won't be Meyer following Zook.

Ideally, next guy brings a core but that's also a tough scenario to execute.

19. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    No

20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I can see that for sure. I just don't see them as possible hires. I'd take kiffin in a heartbeat.

• Informative Informative x 1