Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Reasons for Early Voting and Absentee Voting

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flaglerg8tr, Oct 24, 2024 at 8:44 AM.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    During the pandemic, 1/3 of all workers were deemed essential. In the OP plan, they would be given two weeks to vote. If it's OK for them, why not for everybody?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Either you feel like everyone should do things the way you do them or you want a voting setup that favors the GOP.

No one ever presented these alternatives back when the GOP dominated vote by mail. Only since Democrats started doing it en masse did we start hearing these kinds of suggestions.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. gator_jo

gator_jo GC Legend

Aug 9, 2024
    I, for one, find it way more convenient to fill out a form and put it in the mail, as opposed to driving somewhere, standing in line, doing the same, and then driving home.

Pretty simple concept, really.

4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Valid point. I do think people can weigh that risk. Trump could keel over the day after the election too. I suspect undecideds vote late.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Understood but let's say there is some other major scandal comes out that no one was aware of that ends up impacting the campaign one way or the other. I'm not sure that can be properly priced in. I think about two weeks of early voting is the happy medium. It is close enough to the election that it is unlikely any new information that is not health related is going to come out but still gives voters a significant window to vote early if they choose.

6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The same thing that would happen if he had a major heart attack the day after he won.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    How, specifically, does early voting make it easier to manipulate an election?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  8. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess all those early voters are really earning it then, giving up and sacrificing more than election day short-cutters.

9. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are right…voting should be easy and there is nothing easier than to be sure you have a valid picture ID with you when voting.

You need a valid ID to be allowed to do many other things in this country and it is not difficult for anyone to be sure they have that in their possession while voting. That is easy even for you, correct?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I like this, but we can do better. Don't announce the polling locations until 8AM on Election Day; in fact, we should make Election Day be a moving target to make sure it's not too convenient for anybody. The first day of November, the day of the Election will be revealed; and the morning of election day, the polling locations will be revealed. The locations shouldn't be announced by normal postal address, not by longitude/latitude, but by US National Grid coordinates. Take people in groups, say 24, we'll call them "tributes" and they have to battle for the right to cast a vote among the group. One ballot per group, and then move on to the next group.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    We already have it in NC and the SOB pubs are putting some POS amendment on the ballot making married women and naturalized citizens go extra steps to tie their names to birth certificates for proof. Maiden vs married name needs additional steps to vote. You give an inch they take a mile. I am 100% anti-ID. It’s gateway to the bullshit they are trying here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    150,000,000 people voting one day all in person isn’t feasible without massive change & investment.

13. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    As long as votes are verified to be from qualified, registered voters, no one should care too much about a reasonable early voting period (10-14 days seems the norm). The kink in the system concerns the mail-in ballots which are shrouded in confusion and uncertainty. No state should simply send out ballots without a specific request from a verified, registered voter. Note that states also have a curative period for those who have unforseen circumstances, etc. So this is not an issue of anyone being denied the right to vote - that is, for those who are actually verified and registered to legally vote. I remain perplexed how these safeguards are in any way objectionable.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So your goal is to make it more inconvenient by having more people show up on election day? How about this: since the value of your vote is partially determined by inconvenience, drive around for 30 minutes before you vote to make it more inconvenient for you while not doing so for others.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I've voted by mail in ballot in Florida since 2000. I'm not changing a damn thing because you think it's "lazy".

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Can I vote in your precinct. I walked right in for my early voting at the library and when I have waited until election day, I wait about an hour.

17. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    I'm a Flagler Gator, too. Voted yesterday at the Methodist Church in Flagler Beach - no waiting!!

18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I get my ballot in the mail, fill it out at home with help of google when needed to look someone up or info on an amendment, then drop it off at a drop box.

I do that because it's coinvent, I can do it on my own timeline, I can access information easy and my time, I never have to wait in line, it doesn't interfere with my work schedule, family time, or whatever.

I live in Florida -- which has liberal early and vote from home laws -- where republicans always win, and for some reason never claim voter fraud due to their voting laws....

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    “Don’t talk in platitudes.”
    Talks in platitudes. If people explained it to you, you wouldn’t listen.

20. flaglerg8tr

flaglerg8tr Freshman

Wednesday
    I mean why would we care about securing our elections anyway right? Just let some non-citizen from Colombia who crossed the border from Mexico or some non-citizen from France who just off the plane vote right?

And why stop there? Shouldn't need an ID for alcohol. Shouldn't need an ID to board an airplane. Shouldn't need an ID to drive a car. Shouldn't need an ID to get into a government building. Why require an ID for anything?

It absolutely dumbfounds me. We need an ID for a lot of mundane tasks that honestly probably don't need it, yet your side doesn't want an ID for one of the most important things a citizen of the U.S. will ever do. Do you realize how backwards that sounds?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1