Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Raymond and chaos OUT

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by username, Nov 27, 2023.

1. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not enough. Incremental won't cut it. Clean house. Go get peeps who know WTF to do with football or die

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Who said we were done?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Yiu sound silly, just a few off the top of my head, Mike leach, Charlie Weiss, david cutcliffe, Adam gase all never played any football past High school. Hell Todd Haley never even played the sport of football at any level And yet they've all been successful headcoaches or coordinators in college and/or the pros. Their playing career hit a ceiling at 18 years old yet they still could coach their asses off.

Shit, bill belichick played at a small school in college at Wesleyan University in Connecticut. They are a tiny school in division 3. Yet being from a tiny school didn't stop him from becoming the greatest NFL coach of all time.

Wesleyan university:
    "It is a member of the Division III New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) and competes against traditional Little Three rivals Amherst and Williams"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Raymond sulking on the sidelines early in the year and not looking attentive to his players. He recruited well but Marshall never developed under him into the player he was thought to be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Purely ignorant take:

Veteran assistants did not respect the young Napier (and Armstrong) and took things for granted. Not sure about recruiting chops. If Napier can keep the positions intact while he gets younger and more hungry assistants, maybe things will get better next year from this aspect alone. I do not doubt that Napier is talking with the current players (and prospective ones also) that he has real people to sign and why.

But we shall see.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Yep, get it done with good hires. Signing day doesn’t lock down guys anymore, they can still leave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. After doing research it appears that Napier will go after underperforming recruiters first. If he fired underperforming coaches there would be nobody left, so he has to use some metric. Sean Spencer has one 2024 recruit (Kelby Collins) and one de-commitment. Corey Raymond has no 2024 recruits. Darnell Stapleton has no 2024 recruits. All are listed as secondary recruiters at best, with Austin Armstrong & Jay Bateman as leading defensive recruiters and all the offensive recruiters except Stapleton being even. My guess is Stapleton is next to be fired.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You respect someone older who got fired for sucking I guess.

9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...and Mike McDaniel--coach of the fins--kin folk to the nerds-- looks like more like president of the school D&D chapter and captain of the chess team than football coach. Yet he has his team's and staff's respect.
    Lou Holtz, comes to mind--another grade A nerd who was a very much respected football coach. I'm sure we could list piles of others...

@volungator

Leadership is a matter of how one carries oneself, not how well one can strike a pose, and respect is earned from accomplishment, not how groovy one looks in failing to accomplish.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bottledigger

bottledigger All American

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Literally one of the funniest posts of all time. Congratulations to you sir (or ma’am)

• Like Like x 2
  11. volungator

volungator All American

Today's game is a completely different animal than even 40 years ago. Age and experience has never respected youth and inexperience in any culture or industry. Paying your dues in today's high stakes world of P5 coaching means something to the audience that is the typical P5 assistant coach not to mention the players.

I respect accomplishment. The list of successful Coordinators under age 40 is short and underwhelming for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. denny_crane

denny_crane All American

Apr 14, 2007
    There are 10 of the 32 head coaches in the NFL that are 40 or younger. All but one has a better record than Bill Belichek. Many have older assistants working for them. It's not a cut and dried formula anymore.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember in the past Marquand Manuel's name begin mentioned for various positions. I wonder if he would have interest for the right price?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Will not comment on the fired coaches. Wish them best of luck.

I will say that a move like this from Billy means the seat got hotter. There is a need to show improvement record-wise in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Yes because of thinking like yours. There's a reason there is a youth movement on HC's these days.

16. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    Go get DJ Durkin and Elijah Robinson from Texas A&M and Doug Belk from Houston

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 2ndGenGator

2ndGenGator Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. I think OL is greatest need. Coach and players. Although that might wait until if and when an OC is hired.

• Like Like x 1
  18. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    apparently the coaches can’t be too old school, or they will be out of touch nor too young cuz they won’t have enough experience. The sweet spot….All coaches hired need to be 49-55 years old and once you hit 55, you need to go. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Seems odd that we've just immediately fired our most celebrated hire in Raymond, yet no OC, OL, or ST changes/additions yet. I did hear at the game that high-level boosters have pretty much ordered Napier to get an OC, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    This is not saying it will happen here, but Jimbo Fisher fired/lost 6 or 7 coaches one year and won the national championship the next with their replacements.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1