Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Radical GOP governors; feeding children is bad policy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Dec 30, 2023.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They're all for law and order with exceptions for the defeated former president and his most ardent supporters a number of whom he and the right-wing media refer to as the January 6 hostages.

2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Apparently a number of Republican governors think that "Bidenomics" is actually working hence there is no longer a need for additional food assistance for low-income children.

3. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022

4. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you start feeding children they will want to live and then you to keep on feeding them. Starve them to death now send clear Pro Life message

• Like Like x 3
  5. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Why can't those children just pick themselves up by the bootstraps, find themselves a good paying job and pay for their own food? That's what a true American Patriot would do

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    The GOP is being very kind by passing child labor laws all over the country so that they won't need free lunches at the schools they won't be attending because that coal doesn't mine itself.

7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean, if CHURCHES didnt run almost all food and homeless shelters than you might have a point... But they do.

Not sure I get your point.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    [​IMG]

9. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    So the GOP just want to kill children after they’re born ? I don’t get it. If you’re okay killing them before they’re born, why not after they’re born ? Kids can be a hassle. And if you wait until after they’re born then at least you’ve had a trial period.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 GC Legend

Mar 6, 2009
    I iterate the posts above concerning how the left conflates "cutting welfare" with slowing growth of a program or discontinuing a temporary, emergency program. And add that a state accepting federal funds almost always comes with additional requirements, regulations, earmarks, and costs that the left media ignore completely. There are numerous reasons for a state to decline federal intervention/funding that do not arise from hatred or lack of sympathy. Plus, has anyone looked into each state's own funding of lunch programs and other welfare. Many states have their own budget line for such programs and would rather self-fund than become subject to federal controls and dictates. But, I guess it's just more fun to paint an opponent as evil child-killers and not merely people with differing opinions as to efficient governance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Wouldn’t starving kids reduce poverty and crime and trim welfare rolls ? What’s the problem ?

*shrugs shoulders*

12. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Actually, this is not true. It’s a bit over half for shelters.
    Homeless shelters:
    Food Pantries, Poverty, and Social Justice.

About 63% for food pantries.
    A descriptive analysis of food pantries in twelve American states: hours of operation, faith-based affiliation, and location | BMC Public Health | Full Text).

Approximately half of the churches in the US are engaged in this type of outreach. Laudable certainly but nothing close to nearly “all”
    Nearly half of all churches and other faith institutions help people get enough to eat

13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Where are all of our tax dollars going that we have to rely so heavily on churches that say mean things about Drag Queens who crave an audience of children ?

14. tilly

Just as I thought. Salvation Army etc are not considered in your data. That cites "churches". I said churches and religious organizations. Salvation Army, World Vision, Habitat for Humanity, Compassion Intl etc are not churches. But they have Christian mission statements and/or backgrounds that they hold to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

I didnt say that nearly all churches were involved. I said nearly all are led by churches. Big difference.

Example: Much of the money that we get at Habitat comes from large church donations. Those churches may not have their own ministries but they fund bigger ones like ours.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. tilly

She is just wrong. Churches do 50-60% of the work and that is without factoring in the mega charities that do the rest and mostly happen to be Christian as well

17. tilly

From your own link @swampbabe :
    more than 70 percent of the pantries and kitchens affiliated with the Second Harvest Network are sponsored by churches or other religious organizations” and that this is likely an underestimate of “the prevalence of religious orientation

18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Say what you want about the Catholic Church (it does have its dark moments) but it is the single largest charitable group in the world and has been for about 1,000+ years. Religious groups do a lot of charity.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Thank you the correction. I still don’t think that there is much of a difference between all and nearly all. I think that you underplay secular community organizations and government entities that work in this space.

Again, there are non-Christian organizations that do good work also.

20. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Charity was working fine before welfare.

But once the fraternal societies were pushed to the margins of social welfare, Americans began to become dependent on the vagaries of hierarchical organizations controlled by government.

Poor Before Welfare | David T. Beito