Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Radical GOP governors; feeding children is bad policy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Dec 30, 2023.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    GOP governors are bravely standing up and not passing federal money on to impoverished food insecure children. It’s time hungry little brats get out there and get off welfare. Get a paper route or mow some lawns and quit taking money that could be used for another corporate tax break. Kids these days.

Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children

Nebraska's Republican governor on Friday reiterated his rejection of $18 million in federal funding to help feed children who might otherwise go hungry while school is out.

Pillen announced on Dec. 19 that Nebraska would not participate in the program. He has drawn a firestorm of criticism for later defending that stance at a news conference by saying, “I don't believe in welfare."

Neighboring Iowa is also opting out of the program, with Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds announcing that decision last week and saying, “An EBT card does nothing to promote nutrition at a time when childhood obesity has become an epidemic.”

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Without looking it up, I bet both governors are "pro-life", too.

It's disgusting that they want to force poor women to give birth just so they can quip to their base about starving their children.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Still never understood why EBT cards aren't limited to "healthy" food. Just tie it to WIC foods and be done with it. Then they can't complain about obesity and nutrition problems. I said it before but you can buy Red Bull with EBT. Get out of here with that

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And this isn't even money coming from the state budget, they are turning down free money from the feds in order to hurt children in their states.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    They are all despicable. Desantis turned down Federal money for appliance upgrades. Rick Scott turned down Obama money for a high-speed rail and then invested in a company to help fund Brightline

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Governor Reynold's doesn't care about nutrition.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I suspect that the issue is that it is a bit of a Pandora's box. It sounds good on the surface, but then the massive lobbying campaigns start and we would end up with hard to explain regulations (item X, which most people view as unhealthy is allowed while item Y is not).

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    For sure. But eliminate the excuse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Definitely a lobbyists dream. But I think there's plenty of low hanging fruit (pardon the pun) that can easily be regulated away. Chips, soda, candy, etc. If they want to lobby for something more nuanced, maybe something like breakfast cereal or whatever, so be it. But they've done it with WIC so I don't think it's a massive hurdle.

I don't love EBT but I understand the need for it and am fine with it. I think a lot more people wouldn't push back on "welfare" if it was at least regulated to "necessities."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    It feels like the modern GOP politician is in a constant race to be seen as the meanest and least sympathetic person on earth.

Meanwhile - Nebraska has accepted $27 billion in farm subsidies the last 26 years.
    https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2023/0...-to-a-select-group-of-producers-report-shows/

Nebraska received about 1.5 billion from the Federal government in 2023
    https://www.urban.org/policy-center... followed tax,aid from the federal government.

So, just to be clear, Nebraska making a stink about this 18 mil is just a political stunt - the sad thing, is it hurts children.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The phrase originally part of a speech at a Democratic National Convention (the speaker was either the late Sen. Ted Kennedy or former NY governor Mario Cuomo) "to a lot of Republicans the right to life begins at conception and ends at birth" comes immediately to mind.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly, WIC has already done the heavy lifting, just copy over their limitations and run with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I suspect there is already a sizable lobbying effort underway to prevent what you want from happening. As you said, it makes perfect sense to do it that way and yet it’s not that way. I can only think of one reason why.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    For sure. I'm sure if we looked into the lobbying efforts of companies like Nestlé and Kraft when it comes to this stuff it would be the least surprising thing we'd read today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

And some of my fellow cons ask me why I left the party?
    We keep tripping over ourselves with dumb crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    It's not dumb to them.

To have a slave labor force, you need starving people who will work for pennies and bowls of gruel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean a fat kid is still a live kid, as I understand it.

Gonna starve them to health?

• Like Like x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It can get somewhat difficult as to where you draw the line as to what is healthy and what isn’t. Some foods are clearly healthy. Some clearly aren’t. Then most are probably somewhere in the middle, with some necessary nutrients coupled with excess sugar, salt and other additives.

Also generally it has been found that the most efficient form of welfare is unrestricted cash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you read this book, you will see that most of the same states that now turn down such assistance in the name of some neutral sounding objection about the role of government were fine with government occupying the role when recipients could be racially limited.

In this "penetrating new analysis" (New York Times Book Review) Ira Katznelson fundamentally recasts our understanding of twentieth-century American history and demonstrates that all the key programs passed during the New Deal and Fair Deal era of the 1930s and 1940s were created in a deeply discriminatory manner. Through mechanisms designed by Southern Democrats that specifically excluded maids and farm workers, the gap between blacks and whites actually widened despite postwar prosperity. In the words of noted historian Eric Foner, "Katznelson's incisive book should change the terms of debate about affirmative action, and about the last seventy years of American history."

IMG_2070.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Nobody thinks like this. Just like the conservatives who claim that democrats support welfare in order to keep blacks dependent upon the government, it's assuming a dreadful motive to an action with which one doesn’t agree.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1