Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pyburn and Productivity!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by shane4three, Oct 20, 2024 at 12:44 PM.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I've been saying this too, my friend. He's finally getting his due respect.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I’m just glad we have some guys who have worked their way onto the field. I think where we differ is that I don’t think it’s necessarily on the coaches that this wasn’t apparent from the get-go. Some players, as much as I hate to accept this, play at a higher level when the lights come on and the real game begins. Not saying we have any of those types but whatever the reason I’m glad the changes have been made.
    I give credit to the staff for giving so many guys reps and finding what appears to be a better lineup/rotation than opening day. I doubt seriously all other teams had it all figured out before the first game. Especially when you consider how many freshmen and sophomore’s are balling out for us now. When you are Georgia and have five stars backing up five stars and you are winning every year it’s a little easier to perpetuate your lineup. Almost seamless.
    I am not giving up on this staff but I admit it has been a challenge at times. AND I do think CBN would serve himself and our team better if he brought in a top notch, experienced OC.

• Like Like x 3
  3. gators1994

gators1994 Junior

Sep 10, 2024
    Having 3 good linebackers has made a huge difference lately. Jaden Robinson has really raised the play of the defense.

• Like Like x 3
  4. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Something I’ve noticed is a player will often play better when they’re healthy than when they’re injured.

You’ll see a player play not as well during the season and after it’s over, you’ll find out they were playing injured.

However, Gator fans will think they should play as well injured as healthy.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

As has already been stated here, changes in coaching assignments have been made - and so far they’ve been effective. I know your beef is that it took 3 or 4 games for our coaching staff to define the best personnel lineups on defense. Are you giving consideration to the reality that this is largely a collection of new faces on defense? Many of our best players are true freshmen, redshirt freshmen, and portal transfers. Playing together for the first time.

Consider also that we know practice does not necessarily identify the best players on game day. You have to get them out there in game conditions and then assess what you learn, make necessary changes, re-evaluate, change, etc. Of course you know this — so why are you so unforgiving of this staff for needing a few games to sort out the 1s and the 2s?

You seem to be demanding nothing short of perfection from a collection of newbies. Newbie players and coaches who are still basically new in their jobs. I see more hate from you than rational consideration of the reality that this is a group of players and coaches who are developing as a team with each game. The D is improving, the O-line is improving, our WRs are next man up and kicking ass, our starting RB goes down and another true freshman steps up and shines. Our senior starting QB was improving until he got hurt. Our QB now is a true freshman. Our best CB goes down with injury and a true freshman steps up and makes highlight plays. The list can go on.

I don’t understand why there is so much negativity toward our improving team. Everybody here has said they want to see signs of improvement. Can you not see it?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Shane said Pyburn is the guy offensive lineman hate to play against because of his motor. But yeah, point remains that he has a high motor.

7. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Skink, I agree with about 90% of what you are saying but I will assure you that there is nothing about the University of Florida that I hate! Not sure how you came to the conclusion that I hate our football program because I questioned why it took 5 games for the staff to get the best players on the field. I’m a graduate of UF and a huge fan of our entire athletic program. I’m driving from Jacksonville to Gainesville tomorrow to watch our softball team scrimmage and I’d be happy to break bread and have a beer with you if you can attend. I’ll be sitting with Scrappy and Sandman!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thanks Legend. All the negativity in the wake of our best game has really surprised me. I think there’s a lot of hate for Billy around here, and don’t get it given clear signs of turning things around. I’ll go delete my comment

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Even if we only win 1 more game (FSU) and finish 5-7, I’d like to see Napier here next year and see how we do in his 4th season.

Fire him and we have to go through another coaching change. Lost recruiting class, players leaving, etc.

Spurrier did well with Galen Hall’s players, Meyer did well with Zook’s player, and another coach might do well with Napier’s players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Me too. I think it was understood at the beginning that he would get 4 years, given the perfect storm of issues he had to deal with - in the locker room, the portal, and the new world of NIL. The main thing we need to see is improvement — I’ll be first to say the Miami game derailed my support for Billy. But 5 weeks later this is a different team, better in all phases of the game. I really want to see him get a chance to make this work. There are no sure things out there for replacing him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Pyburn leading the team with 35 tackles. Imagine if he had started the year as a starter.
    Jaden Robinson Has the same number as James with 32.

12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Did I see Gumbs playing LB?

13. gators1994

gators1994 Junior

Sep 10, 2024
    I’ve been so impressed with Robinson. It seems like he’s only just started to get significant time and he’s really made a difference. He has shown so far to be a very reliable tackler. Jaden Robinson Rising Though Florida Gators Defensive Ranks

• Like Like x 2
  14. EbSaxman

EbSaxman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    If he keeps at the fullback thing he might have a job in the NFL. Might be a little small for his current position in the NFL.