Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Puzzled- Major Stadium Upgracde, Poor NIL Money

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by PlantationGator, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That POS owner of the Jaguars is setting us up to be their personal concubine while they fix their Jacksonville stadium.

And NON-GATORS are letting it happen!!!!

2. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree. Paying players is painful for boosters. There's no guarantee of anything. The big spenders are two types. You are either like Georgia and Alabama , who are a player or two away from championships. Or you are like Colorado, who spends crapload on a handful of players, but the rest are bargain basement...they did it for the splash...a splash that won't last.
    UF is more than likely playing it smarter...we arent winning championships this year or next. Laying some foundation. But it doesn't mean we should close wallets completely. We still need to spend enough to make an entertaining product on the field...or the money will dry up completely.

3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Sorry if I misread the first post. I thought you were suggesting that Gainesville was too "po dunk" compared to Tuscaloosa and that was hurting us in recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. No worries. I went to college there, my kids were born there I love the town short of the ridiculously high taxes. What i fear unless CBN or some future coach can make magic happen with the players we get to come here we will be behind Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas and their ilk for a long time. The losses to the portal and switched commitments so far don't look promising.

5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I think we're already there. At least with the first two.

6. Been a week and while I understand what you're saying I'm absolutely not in favor of committing $400+ mil to reduce capacity. If we were winning then those sellouts would actually be sellouts. We have too many issues with actually putting a competitive team on the field while our AD is more concerned with stuff like this.

7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Right now The Swamp the 12the most seating capacity in the nation...

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I get it, but let's recognize that it's a whole lot more than "reduce capacity". As I said previously, I wouldn't mind going in phases and address video boards, entry gates, concession, etc in phase 1. The questions become....do any of those changes trigger ADA and does it make time and financial sense to complete certain aspects all at once vs in phases. Once ADA is triggered you are losing seating, that's unavaoidable due to aisle widening.
    We also have to recognize some of this isn't really optional due to aging infrastructure....some of it has to be fixed

9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Based on the seating studies, it almost appears that doing nothing more than changing the location of the seat number stickers on the seats triggers ADA, which I find quite difficult to believe.

10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My limited understanding is that it isn't that restrictive. Obviously there has been a lot of work done that hasn't triggered it previously....but I would guess the triggers probably have tightened over the years too.

11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would think the same. Its odd to me that the initial seating study was just widening the aisles...as if any change to seating including new stickers on the seats would trigger aisle updates to current
    code.