Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Proposed Super League - hope this hasn't already been posted..

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 4everaGator, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The universities have the brand and they get the entire talent pool. The money will shake itself out. College football is much more professional sports than minor leagues.

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That is true, but we need to make sure that the control stays in the hands of the universities and the conferences... Thus "super league" is an attempt to replace control of college football from the universities and conferences.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Minor leagues ARE professional sports.

4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    The NBA had to - BITTERLY - give up on it's China/Free Money plan. Just like a lot of other's who put their profits ahead of American security and prosperity. Funny too, because they were SO ready to just sell out those (US fans) who made them who they are. Remember when Mr. Social Justice LeBron and Silver went off on that guy for defending the Hong Kong protestors? Yeah, that game is over. Couldn't happen to a better bunch of frauds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    All you had to do was look at Europe (UEFA) and see the similarities in the model. This "no relegation" thing was literally lifted from the Super League stuff from a few years back where the Real Madrids, Barcas, Man U's wanted a system that guaranteed them annual profits.

6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't think its the NFL at all. If anything they are probably somewhat concerned about the course of college football because they can envision the end of their free developmental league gravy train.

Its other players that want a piece of the pie that don't already have one in the NFL. College football is a target because of its ginormous revenue stream and the fact that it isn't run like a traditional business. Disrupting college football could potentially provide an outside party a nice revenue stream that doesn't currently exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    One area of disagreement. If you pay/contract with the players individually (whether unionized or not), you get control over their movement. I.E. No transfers without a release. And if soccer is the model, that "release" will come with a price. I.E. a Transfer Fee. At the very least, you can have a say on where they transfer to (like the old days).

That said, that last part is why nothing is going to happen. Conferences currently control their own destinies, negotiate their own TV and sponsorship deals, etc. In short, they control their revenue and there is NO WAY IN HELL they are going to cede that to some centralized authority. Again, just like Europe. If the other leagues had their druthers, they'd cap the Premier League because it dwarfs the others in terms of revenue and, thus, is getting/buying all the best players. They're not giving that up, nor is the SEC giving up it's right to negotiate on its own behalf and, if the revenue supports it, buy all the best players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Hell no they don't. They currently have the best deal in all of professional sports (worldwide). They literally spend NOTHING on player development. No wonder they dwarf every other pro league in the world in revenue.

9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    If soccer is the model, it's more than embarrassing, it's potentially catastrophic financially.

10. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    What do you think their motivation is? Would they rather have the money than win a championship? And you can't say "if they win a championship the money will come".

11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    They want both. The reason they win all those championships is because they can spend more (and have been able to forever). They want to maintain the status quo, but insure that they make money. The problem for top-end soccer teams is that it's extremely expensive to run a team within the transfer system. There are no trades. First you pay a transfer fee just to negotiate with players, then you have to negotiate a contract with the player. If you want to get rid of dead wood, you have to have a buyer first. No buyer, then you eat that salary. You can cut them, but you still owe the balance of the contract. So, all these teams carry a good bit to a lot of dead wood every year on their payroll.

The reason it failed is because they want to have their cake and eat it too. I.E. They want guaranteed revenue like the NFL, but still want the special privileges that come with being a top team (i.e. they aren't willing to equally share revenue). Just to show you how Byzantine the system is, even their league payouts are structured this way. Popular teams will often get more money than smaller teams that finish ahead just based on their popularity and the idea that the fans are there because of them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Like I said Rick. NOT HAPPENING! Only ones interested are the tin-cup crowd.

Report: CFB 'Super League' to Replace NCAA, CFP Being Discussed by School Presidents

"According to Marchand and Mandel, the idea may not even be able to get off the ground, though. While the ACC board of directors reportedly listened to a presentation from CST officials, the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 all canceled plans for a similar sit-down."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    We're over thinking this article.

At a high-level the path is clear:

- consolidation of the power players
    - independence from the NCAA

You can keep "conferences"....that'll be like pro "divisions". All good.

- then the teams that don't belong (because they can't compete financially) will be gone from the top group over a period of time.

All of this might take 10 more years, on top of the 5 years it has been unfolding....so 15 years-ish.

14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    The "angle" these people, and you're right it might not be the NFL, are using is the NIL is too expensive,"so wen have to make them employees" is a clown's argument. Not saying that you endorse it, but that the people behind this are using the NIL and the money involved to try and convince us the college football is broken. It's not the same game we all used to love, that's for sure, but it's better than what these people are advocating to replace it with. This "super league" is about SUPER CONTROL BY ONE COMMISSIONER and the universities will have to deal with lawyers and agents just to make their voices heard.

This will essentially give control the unions and special interest groups if we let this super league happen.

I made it clear that I did not want the NIL in the first place, but now it's hear and there's nothing we can do about it. It's not going away and it's never going back to the way it was. But now that the pain of the new NIL reality has subsided, I feel better about the NIL than any other proposal out there. The NIL will settle into a more normal business level of normalcy and the players and the universities have the best of both worlds. If you're broke don't worry, no one if forcing you or anyone to donate to the NIL. That, "I can afford it" explanation is also one on the internet that makes me laugh out loud. Those same people are the ones advocating for student employee type makeover... NON-STARTER for me.

The NIL is fine... but it will take time to level out. There is no need to re-invent how college football operates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks, these are all just tricks to take away control of college football from the universities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Which SEC team would give up their financially elite status to be an equal partner with mediocre Big 12, ACC, Pac-12 teams. I don't see this super league scenario ever happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m not so sure about tgat. Super league may just mean not cutting a 50 mil check to the dead weight and everyone collecting is actually working in the same direction

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Well as of today, the big 10 schools are collecting substantially more money than sec schools from tv. I think tv could pay twice what they are paying per school if they were only writing checks to cover the tip 30-40 schools. If the top schools organized, who is to say espn wouldn’t pay 150 mil per school if the schools only scheduled each other. Whoever was left out of that deal would be done in football forever.

19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course more money, more money, is part of it... how else would they entice universities to give up control to one commissioner. If you read the rest of that article that I posted you need to read the last paragraph and that's where all the "special" extra demands come into play... if you know what I mean. This would be a semi-pro league with most of the control of the super conference given to the big donor class over-seers.

I doubt any university on the SEC would give some outsider that much control over their conference (which will be dissolved into one mega conference) where johnny come lately teams like UCF will have an equal voice at the table as any team that has over 100 years of football, including teams that "were" formerly from the SEC. That's team equity that these clowns are talking about.

It' a scam... Just say no to it.

20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    So where do we fall?