Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Producer Price Index Rises More Than Forecast

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ETGator1, May 14, 2024.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    We have yet to hear from your wife on these recent PPO numbers as she is clearly the expert on such matters.

2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Report from BOLS:

Producer Price Index News Release summary - 2024 M07 Results (bls.gov)

Check the first chart. It's not the indication for a September rate cut that is being sold in the media, food and energy both rising. We've seen numbers less than this over the last year with the Fed refusing to cut.

The CPI should be interesting tomorrow, 8/14. You folks laughed when I told you gasoline and groceries in July were going up as reported to me by my wife. We'll see in the morning if she was right.

3. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    See post #122.

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I can’t wait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Cooled slightly more than expected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Finally below 3%-first time since 2021.

And those on these boards rooting against America solely for partisan political reasons will be disappointed again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/14/economy/us-cpi-consumer-price-index-inflation-july/index.html

8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    ET get in here and spin this for us.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Inflation was always going to fall. That’s what high interest rates do. Especially at the pace the Fed raised them. The question is, did they go too far? Time will tell, but they don’t have a great track record.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I’m not sure they went too far-rates are still in the historically “normal” range, but I think you can certainly make the case they were initially late to raise and now are somewhat late to reduce.

And I say that as someone who was crushed by these rate increases on construction loans for several large real estate projects that began with an interest rate of around 3% and ended with rates at about 8%. Brutal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    About a year ago you guys thought they weren't being aggressive enough, you basically wanted them to induce a recession. I don't suppose many will give Powell credit for threading the needle. Now at least everyone is on the same page about them being overly cautious? Everyone can high five now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I feel your pain on the latter, as I am in finance as well. The Fed definitely waited too long to stop the easy money. Boggles the mind they were still printing money (QE) into 3.6% unemployment (March 2022). Should have been a surprise to no one that inflation took hold. As much as I too feel the pain of higher interest rates, I feel safer with the Fed reducing the balance sheet and staying with higher rates for too long versus what they did in 2021 and early 2022. They should have taken a more balanced approach then and we wouldn't have to be dealing with this now.

13. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Consumer Price Index Summary - 2024 M07 Results (bls.gov)

June Food: +.02
    July Food: +.02

June Gas: -3.8
    July Gas: 0.0 (early in the month, this was up)

June All Items: -0.1
    July All Items: +.02

CPI May: 3.3
    CPI June: 3.0
    CPI July: 2.9

Core CPI June: 3.3
    Core CPI July: 3.2

The largest increase comes in housing which continues to defy the higher rates.

Overall, the CPI met economist expectations.

I will accept all apologies on behalf of my wife. Food was up 0.2 again while gas went from -3.8 to 0.0. In early July, gas was higher than the second half of July which is strange to me. I think both numbers are somehow being fudged to the low side, just don't ask me how.

The question remains are the July PPI and CPI enough to justify a rate cut in September. My answer is not yet. While the numbers show improvement which is a requirement set by the Fed, the PPI yesterday saw increases in both food and energy that has yet to be passed on to consumers. I think lower numbers on a continual basis will be needed for a rate cut, even the .25% version. At CPI 2.9 and Core CPI 3.2, the numbers are still too far away from the Feds 2.0 target.

You can get opinions on both sides of the issue for cutting or holding, but this opinion comes close to matching where I am this morning, the difference is I don't see a rate cut in September yet:

CPI inflation report upsets betting on big Federal Reserve rate cut (msn.com)

U.S. inflation pressures eased again last month, but the overall softening might not be significant enough to justify an outsized interest-rate cut from the Federal Reserve next month in Washington.

The Commerce Department said its headline Consumer Price Index for the month of July was pegged at an annual rate of 2.9%, the lowest since March 2021 and down from the 3% pace recorded in June.

On a monthly basis, price pressures edged 0.2% higher, thanks in part to a modest 4 cents per gallon increase in domestic gasoline prices,

So-called core inflation, which strips out volatile components like food and energy, slowed to an annual rate of 3.2%, the lowest rate in more three years and matching Wall Street's 3.2% forecast. The monthly reading of 0.2% also matched Wall Street forecasts and was up modestly from the final June reading of 0.1%.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have bitched and moaned about the Fed as much as anyone but they seem to either have landed the economy well.. or it's landed in spite of them. I'll give them the credit though.

15. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    upload_2024-8-14_10-50-40.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    The feds target inflation rate is 2% not 2.9.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The Feds have saved the WH and congress from their drunken sailor on a Saturday night over fiscal spending. My only complaint is they started too late in raising rates by 6 to 9 months.

There is no guarantee that rate cuts with the numbers we are currently experiencing won't drive inflation up again. Middle class America cannot continue to have their standard of living reduced to the ravages of inflation because Wall Street has overreacted for a year now pricing in rate cuts that were never going to happen.

The Feds should be congratulated for a job well done since the delay and up until now. I hope the Fed continues to use good judgment until the economic data are such that we can know inflation won't be reignited again to any significant level.

18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Companies raise prices not the government. The tradeoff of going into recession to put people out of work is a terrible solution for companies' price grab. Best thing to do is have the market work it out by buying less soda until soda sellers lower prices (or whatever item you are disliking). Here is an example of what is happening which you can see isnt a rising demand for soda pushing up prices from an overstimulated economy... its a price grab:

[​IMG]

Much Of This Pricing Activity Can Be Explained By Sellers’ Inflation
    This is pressure from suppliers to increase prices. How? Professor Isabella Weber explains “that supply shocks allowed corporations to tacitly collude, hike prices, and rake in record profits…This is a form of implicit collusion,” she said. “Firms do not even need to talk to one another to know that a cost shock is a great time to raise prices.”

Alex Turnbull, a commodities analyst, echoes this, “When you go from 15 to 10 companies, not much changes. When you go from 10 to 6, a lot changes. But when you go from 6 to 4 – it’s a fix.”

And the record profits Professor Weber mentions? Groundwork Collaborative recently found that corporate profits accounted for 53% of 2023 inflation. EPI likewise concluded that over 51% of the drastically higher inflationary pressures of 2020 and 2021 were also direct results of profits. The Kansas City Federal Reserve even pegged this around 40%, indicating that sellers’ inflation is now a pretty mainstream idea.

Why Your Groceries Are Still So Expensive (forbes.com)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    They need to go ahead and cut now to head off the recession, but they rarely act in anticipation.

20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What recession? There likely isn't one coming any time soon. And the FED is always slow to act. They would rather react to solve an issue versus act too fast and be the cause of any issues. It's in their mandate.

And with unemployment ticking up, and inflation ticking down, it's looking more and more like rate cuts are coming in Sept. Especially since housing is the last, lagging inflationary issue. One way to help is to cut rates, which lowers mortgage costs.