Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pre-Game Discussion: FLORIDA vs. Mangy Flea-Ridden Mutts (FL vs. GA Statistical Outlook)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatordavisl, Oct 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I loved Coach Pell for his fiery leadership and his rock solid gameday decision making and the way he taught FB fundamentals, despite the 0-10-1 catastrophe in '79. While we talk now about how long it took for CP to rebuild UF four decades ago, don't forget that he won 8 games combined in his first two seasons. Billy has won 11 games in two fewer total games. And both HCs were handed shit on a stick by their predecessors when it came to a roster. This is not to belittle Pell's efforts in any way, but rather to point out that this current performance by a second-year coach has some obvious parallels in program history. The bare cupboard in the first year when both HC s started, coupled with some major headwinds on the field in the early going, along with an impressive leap forward in recruiting, are almost eerily similar. One enormous advantage that Billy has is NIL. He and friends of the school have a legit avenue to doing things that would have led to poor Charley being taken for a ride from which he would never return...oh wait...but I digress.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  2. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You compared CBN to Pell in your closing paragraph. I stand by what i wrote, that it's really irrelevant to our current time what Pell did. CBN is in year 1.5,. I would hope in year 5 as a minimum we are competing for the SEC championship and also competing for a playoff spot
    I personally dont think we should judge CBN basis of a 2-3 year turnaround.

3. fishnerd1

fishnerd1 Sophomore

Oct 8, 2017
    Sorta off topic, but I have a hand written letter from Coach Pell recruiting me to Clemson when I was 3 years old after I got to meet him at a game. Just before he left for UF.

• Like Like x 6
  4. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    But that's what we do...

5. RayGator

RayGator Administrator Emeritus

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida should not win this game, as Georgia is just the all-around better team, but upsets happen.

Florida’s OL will need to protect Mertz and give Johnson and ETN some lanes. Both of these have been problems, but if it does happen, the Gator skill players will make plays.

Florida’s defense is a work in progress. Coverages seem to be improved, but the talented DL is too rarely getting home. And while half the time the front seven meets the RB at the line of scrimmage, the other half is filled with long runs before contact is made.

Special teams is ok. Penalties, ugh.

I expect Florida to make some good plays in this game, but it will be challenging to make them consistently enough. Some takeaways would definitely help, but so far we’ve got them -checks stats- almost never.

Consistent line play, limit penalties, win the turnover battle. Only three things, but still a tall order.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO, with the advent of the portal and NIL, we are in uncharted territories. Everyone, including fans, coaches players need to get onboard with a new mindset. I believe that all these changes have evened the playing field to a large degree with a lot more transparency (which also IMO, helps us). We just don't know how this will all shake out in a few years, but CBN and UF seem to be navigating this new world at a high level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  9. g8torlenny

g8torlenny Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Anybody know if Taylor Swift will be at the game? I can hardly watch a game unless they cut to her booth every 2 minutes anymore.

As to the Gators, I just hope we play well and keep it close.

• Funny Funny x 6
  10. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Still too early to tell...

11. fishnerd1

fishnerd1 Sophomore

Oct 8, 2017
    I’m optimistic because my wife scheduled us to go camping this weekend. She’s made me miss the “kick 6” game between Bama and Auburn, UF beating Utah last year, UF beating Tennessee this year all for remote camping trips. I always miss the good stuff

• Like Like x 1
  12. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    No way Bowers plays with that injury and surgery!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    The Gators are capable of beating anyone on their schedule, including Georgia! But, will the Gators beat Georgia or beat themselves? For the Gators to win in Jax, they will need to play sound, fundamental, football for four quarters! They CANNOT afford to offensively play flat in any quarter. Additionally, the Gators will need to predominantly use Mertz to make quick throws, with huge helpings of #1, #3, and #8!!! I also want to see drawplays and screens with #7! The Gators OL is not where it needs to be. Therefore, Ga defense needs to be surprised on every down! We cannot afford to be predictable!!! And, we need to score often and unabashedly! Translation: the offensive playbook MUST BE opened up! The Gators need to play with intensity, which includes playing to win and not playing not to lose. The Gators MUST NOT play offensively conservative football!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Go Gators

• Like Like x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    While a close game might show progress, it is still a consultation prize and basically worthless. I mean, really. This is Fla/Ga, only the Gators get out alive. I love this team, I love the coaches, I love the recent adjustments, and I love what is possible. If they lose, unless the game is filled with stupid penalties and poor execution, I'll love the effort.

• We won on the road.
    • We need to beat Georgia.:mad:
    • We'll need another couple of road wins
    • We'll need to beat Fla State at home.
    While I'm looking at this with my Orange and Blue Glasses, (ya think?) I also have Gator gear on, underwear, socks and memorabilia scattered about. I might be delusionally optimistic, but heck...we don't need no stinking negative mojo affecting our efforts.

But, I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself. Let me pull it in a bit!

For Saturday's game. We need to execute, play sound, aggressive defense, and we can come away with a victory. Running game and playmakers need to do their thing. They know they are vulnerable. And we are coming in with some momentum. It's like riding a nice roller on a longboard. One stroke in the water and the momentum takes you and pushes you from there.

BEAT THE DOGS! Create the memories.

Go Gators.:eek:;):)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm wondering if all the quasi-trolls (who have been missing for a few weeks) will return in force should we lose.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Count on it

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

If it’s any consolation Mal, I never had a consultation prize that was worth anything

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.