Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Prayers for George, please

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorJMDZ, Jul 18, 2024.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Around 2.5 years ago I started a thread asking for you to keep my best friend George in your thoughts and prayers. He had just been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.

A rabid professional sports fan from Philly, he adopted the Gators over the years as the only college team he followed, but he followed them as a life long fan.

He handled his diagnosis with a courage and determination I couldn't imagine. There were a lot of really miserable days for him, but he persevered and kept his automotive repair business open to keep his employees working as long as possible.

Chemo, the cancers and experimental treatments after the chemo stopped working took their toll on him, he lost over 100 pounds.

Last month he felt well enough to meet at our favorite happy hour place for a few adult beverages. Two weeks ago I visited him at his shop. Early last week I was still talking to him at his shop. He was tired, he was in pain, he knew his days were numbered...but he was still at work.

Friday, I got the call. He was running an extremely high fever, apparently his colon perforated and infections had started. Surgery wasn't on option and antibiotics were ineffective. Saturday he was arguing with his doctor about going home, Monday he was transferred to a Hospice House. I was there as the ambulance was dropping him off and he woke up long enough for me to say, "Hi, George" and him to reply, Hello, Mr. ____", his normal kidding salutation to me. That was the last coherent thing he said, he was kept very heavily medicated to make him comfortable. I am so incredibly grateful to have had that small exchange with him, it literally means the world. No matter how much time you think you have when a friend becomes ill to say the things that you want to say, you never have enough time.

Thankfully, I was able to spend a lot of time at the Hospice House this week. Those nurses and aides are angels, I don't know how they go to work every day, but God bless them.

Late this afternoon, surrounded by family and friends, George passed away. If there was ever a man and a friend worthy of thoughts and prayers, it was George. For George and his family I would ask that you please keep them in yours. Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 28
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Sorry for your loss. Best friends cannot be replaced. Grieve for a couple of days, and then celebrate his life and count your blessings that you were part of it. Crossing paths with someone like that is a blessing that few get. Take care!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Very sorry for your loss, JMDZ. George sounds like a great man and a better friend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry for the loss of your friend. May he RIP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    So sorry for your loss. I have a lot a friends that are Philadelphia sports fans. A special breed for sure. RIP George.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    No doubt he would say the same thing. When dealing with a debilitating illness and the pain that accompanies it the pleasant distraction of a friendly visit or phone call can be the best reliever of pain and anxiety.

Perhaps not. But from one who has faced similar circumstances, thank you for being there for him to help ease his pain as he transitioned from this life to what comes next. The mark of a true friend.

Amen

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Very sad. You're a good friend.

Have a family member with stage 4 cancer. Tough draw.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators VIP Member

Sorry for your loss and prayers sent

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Sorry JMDZ. As others have stated, George sounds like a great soul. I'm happy that you enjoyed his friendship and he enjoyed yours. Glad you could be there at this time, as it surely meant everything to him. Rest well, George and may your Eagles suffer the stink of a thousand elephant farts. :D Kidding, sort of. Peace to you, JMDZ, and your friend George.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. cron78

cron78 GC Legend

Feb 25, 2022
    As a stage 4 cancer survivor, and having spent lots of hours in hospice with my father last Thanksgiving weekend, your narrative of George’s trials and bravery/dedication and your tribute to him bring tears to my eyes. Your friendship and memories are special things that not everyone gets to enjoy and cherish like you do. So do just that, remember and celebrate the good times and that fact that your dear friend is no longer suffering. And know that sharing such news in this manner edifies many of us on this end of the ether. Thank you for your words and for caring enough to share.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

JMDZ, sincerely you are in our prayers. My wife lost her grandfather a few months back and the hospice people were just as you described.

Angels. What they do every day. Literally helping people die and helping families in grief is a job few could do well, but they do.

Praying for comfort for all who loved George.

• Like Like x 3
  12. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Prayers for your friend George and you, his friends and family. Cancer is a terrible thing. You are correct he hospice workers are Angels on earth for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent for everyone that has been touched by George's passing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sorry for your loss......and thanks for being there for him......:emoji_pray:

• Like Like x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    F cancer...

Sorry for your loss. Good friends are rare

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you to each and all of you for your kind statements of support and to everyone who has kept George and his family in their thoughts and prayers. Very much appreciated.