Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Post game thread Gators vs Kaintuck

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by g8orbill, Oct 19, 2024 at 10:59 PM.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    That will come with experience and with a quality qb coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean this argument is always available. I agree that The young studs are carrying . But I'll be honest I think Montrell could have made all those touchdowns. Now, I know that sacrilege so please take it easy on me.

What would not have happened is the difference in attacking the field. Lagway is simply in the Shane Matthews Steve Spurrier mold and he's going to look to make the big play down the field with his arm. Sure he completes 50% of his passes on the day, misses some stuff underneath he should have gotten. But he's a rockstar at throwing the down field. In his two games he's had 10 plays over 40 yards. Let that sink in. And when you do that defenses must account for it.

I love Graham Mertz really respect the guy He's probably one of my favorite quarterbacks that has played at UF. But he simply did not have success throwing the ball deep. I don't know what it was. At first I thought He didn't have the arm coming but then he seemed to. I think it's just a mentality.

And I know that with two weeks to prepare Georgia is going to be ready for lagway and he is going to have a brutal time of it.

Can we teach him the wheel route??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Shane was a happy man on the radio last night.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Of course, because even hitting on 1/4 50 yard passes has a higher expected value than hitting on 3/4 10 yard passes.

5 drives had 40+ yard completions, resulted in 31 points. 5 didn't, 10 pts (didn't include giveup drive at end of 1st half or running clock out at end of game).

From a couple weeks ago the Athletic had a article about explosive play margin:
    "Recent season history
    Between 2019-23, SEC teams that had more explosive plays than their opponent had an overall record of 397-72
    . "
    What stat matters most in college football? Keep an eye on explosive play margin

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    I am in no way referring to Montrell Johnson who was possibly having his best game as a Gator vs UT or even Mertz (I think he was also hurt by splitting snaps just as DJ was, pick one). I'm talking about guys in which the OGT was constantly commenting on whiffing tackles or looking like a turnstile on the OL.

6. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Yeah, both were brutal

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Pnick81

Pnick81 All American

Feb 1, 2015
    Watching the replay and UK qb missed a lot of open receivers. Something to work on during the bye week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Don’t know Okee so I’m not sure calling him my buddy is accurate or useful here do you?

I was on much of the in game thread but don’t really remember specifics from any posters, too many going to fast and watching the game is a bit distracting.

I was only speaking to the specific post in this thread FWIW.

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Why?

11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Not sure about that. I don’t think he has the feel for the game in game.

His O wasn’t spectacular at ULL either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Can you be more specific? Without bashing a player.

Not debating you, just curious on your take.

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    If we see the same level on both sides of the ball we should split that 2 game set.

Ole Miss has regressed for sure.

LSU is an odd team but they have a way of beating us with some stupid play or BS luck.

14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Yes, as did UT. They made them yesterday vs Bama.

UGA will be looking at that for sure.

15. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    While I am beyond thrilled with the performance of our offense, they weren't winning until we fixed our defense.

That has really been the game changer.

I don't know how we fixed it, but we did. Miami and ATM were brutal. It wouldn't have mattered what our offense did, we wouldn't have beat them with that defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. grayg8rstevo

grayg8rstevo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Ha..don’t misunderstand..I use bold font just to make certain points easier to see. I wasn’t trying to be rowdy. It is how I type. All good. Peace.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. paindoc

paindoc Freshman

Sep 28, 2018
    How far has the Gator standard fallen, when 6-6 merits another year? His win percentage is the worst since 1946. Compare to Cignetti, who came into a job with no football tradition, no legacy players, poor facilities, empty roster and is 7-0 year one !

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    you may not recall but Billy said during the hiring of Ron Robert’s and Joe Houston - that would allow him to spend more time focusing on offense /play calling as he could now leave more of over sight on defense and special teams to them. He did the opposite of what most head coaches do- they give up offense or defensive duties and hire people to manage them so they can be more of the CEO type. He opted to give up some of the CEO stuff to concentrate more on OC.

in the end he is still the CEO and responsible regardless but that is what he said.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. RipCurl

RipCurl Senior

Apr 7, 2010
    Went to the game. Swamp was a lot more lively than I was anticipating coming off the Tennessee loss. It was an awesome night. With that said, it was an awkward gator walk. And Napier was definitely boo’d by the endzone at halftime since he goes to the tunnel alone after the interviews. I’m curious to see what the Ole Miss game will look like when Kiffin strolls in, especially if we lose up until that game.

• Agree Agree x 1